“Wounderful Mountian resort”

Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Panora, Iowa
“Wounderful Mountian resort”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Had a large one bedroom suite. Everything was perfect about this place. Location, Staff, the Lodge is one of the finest you will find anywhere. I compare it too the four seasons at Jackson hole WY. Look no further then this place if your going too be in the area.

Room Tip: The best around in up state NY
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Upstate NY
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

First off, let me say that anyone complaining about traffic noise and giving this place a 3 rating based on that is way out of line. This was the most serene, peaceful, and quiet hotel I've stayed at in a long long time. You could hear a pin drop in our room. OK, rant over.
As for the rest, flawless from check in to check out. Spectacular facility, friendly staff, gorgeous grounds, impeccable attention to detail, rooms you could live in forever, and the list goes on. We only spent one night here and we wanted to move in. This was pure heaven.

• Stayed September 2013
Arlington, MA
Reviewed September 25, 2013

As we were roasting s'mores over an open campfire at The Whiteface Lodge, I chatted with a young couple who confessed that this was their sixth stay at the resort. Wow! That right there tells you something about this wonderful resort.

My husband and I had never vacationed in the Adirondacks but jumped at the chance when my parents offered to watch the kids for a long weekend. While we aren't spa people, but we used as many excellent resort amenities as we could including: the pool/hot tub, bowling alley, game room, kayaks, roasting s'mores and full breakfast. Our room was luxurious with a wonderful bed. I loved that we could open the windows and patio doors to let fresh air in the room. The staff was very helpful in planning bike rides, hikes and kayak trips. Overall, the Whiteface Lodge far exceeded our expectations. We are contemplating bringing the kids for a few days during winter vacation.

South Lancaster, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We booked a 2 night stay recently at the Whiteface Lodge and it was an exceptional experience. The resort itself offers everything you would want from a movie theater, to a gym and game room to a deluxe spa. We took advantage of all the resort had to offer and were absolutely pleased with how wonderful the staff was and how great this resort is. The Lodge itself is made almost entirely from real logs to get that true Adirondacks feel. The rooms (actually suites) offer a full kitchen (appartment sized appliances) with everything you would need, a dining area, nice vews of the mountains and the beds are extremely comfortable (one little complaint - if you like a firm pillow bring your own as the ones provided are extremely soft). The deal we had included breakfast each morning which was served in the main dining room, which offers lovely views of Whiteface. The Indoor-Outdoor pool with three whirlpools are a nice way to relax after a day of hiking. In the evening there are two fireplaces to enjoy a fall evening in the mountains. The one on the main lawn offers do-it-yourself smoores and then there is the one at the lean-tos (which is the only area where smoking is allowed). We did book massages in the Spa and it was well worth it. I know some people complain of traffic noise. I live in the country and it is extremely quiet where I live, this resort is right off the main road that leads to Lake Placid from Saranc Lake however we barely heard any traffic and once in your room at night we were never distrubed by any traffic noise - could be because we travelled mid-week so less traffic on the road however we never bothered by the noise.

Room Tip: You can request a room with a view of Whiteface Mountain but we had the view that looked over the Po...
1 Thank Alan B
Glen Ridge, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Lovely overall. Relaxing spa resort with impressive authentic log construction and interior detailing. Main dining room and other lobby details were great and set a wonderful old fashioned family vacation meets the great camps of yesteryear feel. Cozy rooms laid out and appointed very well. Grounds well kept, lush but maintain views to the surroundings in distance. Helpful friendly staff. Spa was well appointed and perhaps being a man or only partaking in a full day of spa maybe 4-5 times in my life, found this one to be one of the best in terms of, staff, relaxation, and that "spa all to my self" I appreciate. Lounge and drinks were top notch. Breakfast was fine. Standard buffet fare but after mountain biking - really looked forward to it every morning. Thin (vanilla flavored maybe?) pancakes and that maple sausage stand out. Dinner appetizer and dessert great. Entree was a disappointment. Dinner could use some improvement. Again, you are hungry up in the fresh air so I loved being able to bring my own snacks and treats to my own suite kitchenette and then there is some stellar dining opportunities 1/2 mile away. Lunch one afternoon in the lounge was fine. Soup and salad was tasty with a view towards the grounds fall colors and mountains beyond. The staff drove us down to pick up our rental mountain bikes and then got us back to to the lodge when we returned them. They didn't need to do that but they did. The pool, adult hot tubs and fitness room were great. We used all the resort amenities. Even the movie theater one night, till we got sleepy and left. It was very quite weekend while we were there. Few, guests, kids and generally peaceful throughout, but the staff was still in "please the guest mode". "Romance" did happen if you know what if mean. I am an Architect by profession. It was great.

Room Tip: Let them know if you would like not to face tennis court, or pool.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I don't like resorts...at all. I prefer small inns or self catering cabins. Well, I had booked a cabin on Saranac Lake. Having never been to the Adirondacks, I had visions of Northern Exposure solitude, rustic luxury and lake views. The cabin however was dirty and damp and looked out on a main road.
We had driven for 7 hours, it was getting late and we could not see ourselves sleeping in that hell hole. So we drove on to Lake Placid and the first lodge we saw was Whiteface.
We walked in and were impressed by the gorgeous lobby with fresh flowers and antler chandeliers.
Rachel at the reception was very friendly. She only had a 3 bedroom suite available. My heart sank. However she have us a good walk in rate ( still not cheap but at that point we just wanted comfort and luxury).

Our suite, nbr 312, was amazing. It could sleep 8 and had 3 bathrooms, a very nice kitchen, big flat screen TVs, a balcony. Nice rustic interior. We slept in the master bedroom with very comfortable king bed. We used the jacuzzi several times. It was bliss.
I had bought all the food for the cabin and was happy I could cook in our room. Allthough kitchen is small, it is perfectly kitted out.

But what is really the best in this resort, is the unending array of facilities, activities and little touches: bowling alley (!), games room with popcorn, cinema, bird of prey talks, campfire with marshmallows, coffee and tea and biscuits in the afternoon. It just went on and on and on.
I could have stayed a week.

They offer a shuttle to LP town but we walked it in 20 mins.

Some reviewers don't like the breakfast. Service is indeed a bit slow. Buffet is nothing special but there is fresh fruit, toast and very nice pancakes. I was happy with it.

I really would love to stay here again. It was just fantastic.

Room Tip: I can't see there can be a bad room although some have a nicer view than others I guess.
1 Thank Chocolate74
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking to get away and hear the sounds of nature in the Adirondacks do not visit Whiteface Lodge. It is located parallel to the main road - resulting in intolerable traffic noise all day and all night long. The property is amazing in everyway other than location. They did move our room in hopes of reducing traffic noise but the entire property is right off the main strip - no room would have reduced the noise unfortunately. If noise is of no concern to you then please consider this property - service, rooms, spa, pool, movie theater, bowling, kids club etc.. all 5*.

• Stayed September 2013