Overall I really liked this hotel. I will first state what kept me from giving this place a 5 star rating: Service. The service is simply not 5 star, the rest of the place is absolutely 5 star quality. It starts when you arrive, there are not enough valets at the door, not enough people at the front desk on checkin. These things can simply be a matter of timing of course. When we first arrived the valet took our two bags straight to the room. He did not wait to escort us to the room - not that it was difficult to find the room and fortunately we passed him in the hallway on his way back to give him a tip. He had taken off so fast from the car I couldn't tip him before he left with our stuff. One time when returning with the car and looking for the valet it took better 5 minutes (perhaps even 10) for the valet to arrive. Another example, when in eating in the Kanu Lounge the service was really lacking. The first night we arrived we ate dinner in the lounge (the food was good) but the server brought my drink but forgot about my spouse's drink - so we had to remind him we each ordered a drink. At the pool/hot tub area I never saw any staff except one removing towels. I would have expected a staff person to be in the area on a routine basis, perhaps even offer drinks to those in the hot tub or just to make sure everything is in order. I had one or two other minor items on service but you get the point. Overall the staff is very friendly/pleasant, the service is good and perhaps even better than good but just not attentive enough to deliver a 5 star rating.
Now to the rest of the place. It is truly comfortable and relaxing. The rooms are well appointed and quite appealing. I enjoyed the fireplace in the room, the small dinette, the Adirondack decorations, the comfort of all the chairs, couch and bed. I could hear some things in the hallway but not enough to be at all distracting. I was never disturbed by any sounds from rooms to the side or above us. I thought the grounds were quite beautiful - there was snow on the ground when we were there and they had lights in the evergreen trees which looked terrific. Overall the place should be 5 star except the service keeps me from giving that rating.
I will go back, I had a terrific time and recommend this place if going to Lake Placid.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the Adirondack Mountains, this exclusive resort is a haven of comfort and elegance. A retreat where guests can relax in sumptuous all suites resort and enjoy superb cuisine. A refined atmosphere, log architecture, fire places, world class spa, year round activities and the Canoe Beach club on Lake Placid. The Lodge is both a family friendly destination and an adult playground or romantic escape. A Member of Leading Hotels of The World and the most Luxurious Full Service Resort in the Adirondacks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Whiteface Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Whiteface Hotel Lake Placid
- Whiteface Hotel Lake Placid
- Whiteface Lodge