“RUDE!”

Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
pennsylvania
“RUDE!”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I can't speak for the hotel itself as my friend and I only availed ourselves of the spa facilities, hopefully the hotel guests are treated with more respect.
My friend and I booked several spa services to celebrate our combined birthdays. Our first appointments were scheduled for 11am. We arrived at 11:03 (after getting a bit lost on our way) The snippy gal at the front desk informed us as soon as we walked through the door that we better "hurry up" inside to get started because every minute that passed was being subtracted from our 80 minute massage session.
Wow! What a way to start what should have been a relaxing spa experience! We tried to beg forgiveness and ask that we not be penalized by losing time from these expensive services but this same person continued to argue the "spa policy" while the minutes ticked away and we lost valuble time.
She told us she would discount the service and off we went to our massage appointments, tense and upset and looking at the clock the whole time. We both had several other services that afternoon and received a bill totalling almost $700 for us both. There was no discount reflected.
A day at the spa should leave one relaxed and refreshed. Not so at the Whiteface Lodge. Take your spa business elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank robe715

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nesconset, New York
Reviewed August 4, 2011

The Whiteface Lodge was spectacular. Beautiful grounds, Fantastic room and great food at the restaurant. The staff is very attentive. They have a movie theatre, bowling alley
pool, spa trails to hike, and kayaking on Lake Placid. We want to try it for all seasons!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scronk73
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 1, 2011

As a single Mom of one child (age 12), I wanted to take my daughter to a place she'd never been before. Although she has visited numerous four- and five-star resorts in the Caribbean, Hawaii, California, Florida and New York, I wanted a special destination for our one-time vacation this summer. And, we found it in the the Whiteface Lodge, located in Lake Placid, NY. Being a NYer, it's hard for me to let go of the daily worries about work, finances and general life maintenance but as soon as we stepped out of the car and smelled the sweet pine-scented air, I felt the stress begin to melt away. We loved our room, especially the King bed and spacious bathrooms. Also, it is the only resort -- ever -- where I've let my daughter roam freely and independently on her own. By evening of the day we arrived, most of the staff knew her name and mine, and if I was wandering about without her, they'd let me know, "Eve is in the family room," or "Eve is at the Ice Cream Parlor." I thought that was so sweet. We enjoyed the generous abundance of onsite inclusive activities, from the sumptuous breakfast each morning to the nightly s'mores gathering. We also took a boat tour of Lake Placid and our driver (Wayne) was very knowledgeable. It was quite fascinating to learn about the grand lake houses and the area's general history. We loved the food; we mainly ate around the pool or in the Kanu Lounge. The selection was quite varied and I found myself trying many different and yummy seafood dishes along with various types of Pinot Noir! My daughter met quite a few kids in her age range at the pool and in the family game room. One night we had quite a competitive series of air hockey! Although it sprinkled one day, we found time to walk into the village of Lake Placid, which is very charming and we enjoyed visiting the shops. We also visited the Olympic Museum and it was hard to keep my daughter from wanting to touch the real Soviet hockey uniforms from the "Miracle on Ice." I'm happy to admit that I spent a good amount of time reading novels and dozing in a lounge chair by the pool while my daughter swam. I didn't have to use the very modern fitness center because we walked everywhere-- both to The Canoe Club, the resort's lakefront beach area, and to the town of Lake Placid. We hated to leave, time just flew and as we were driving away, my daughter said, "Mom, let's make this an annual tradition." Something I should have said! And, I'm sure we will!

Room Tip: If you have kids, the two-bedroom suites offer beautiful views and are very spacious. We made our ow...
Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank savvysinglemom
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband and I and are three children (8,6, & 3 years old) stayed at the Whiteface Lodge for 7 nights earlier this month. We had a really good time and loved the area. The lodge was very nice and the room was quite large. The staff was very attentive and pleasant, especially the valets and the concierge staff (Anna and Tyler). The property itself is well maintained and landscaped. We had a two bedroom suite which was comfortable enough for our family. Our children loved the chocolate chip cookies every afternoon and at turn down service.

Both my husband and I left feeling good about our stay at the lodge, but slightly disappointed. Maybe because the price for our particular room was $1100 per night on the hotel's website, but I think we expected a bit more 'wow'.

The property is right off one of the main roads in the area, but there is some area available for hiking. The pool was a bit small for this type of property. The week that we stayed there did not seem to be that many people staying here, in fact we had been looking foward to sending our children to camp to meet some other children, but our children were the only kids in the camp two of the days that they attended. Consequently, although the camp seemed well stocked with great activites, our kids did not do anything that enriching.

The Canoe Club is located down the street. The lodge has a shuttle available to go back and forth as there is no available parking at the Canoe Club. We took a boat out on a couple of occasions from the Canoe Club and went on a tour of Lake Placid and tubing. One of the drivers (Wayne) was great and could not be more helpful, the other driver was not that attentive.

The room itself had a kitchen that was noted to be a fully stocked kitchen. It did have the basics, but that was about it. There were no storage containers or serving platters in the kitchen. I had a problem with the lighting of the unit, specifically the closet under the stairs and the master bedroom hallway and sleeping area. One night I asked my husband to move a lamp so I could read in bed. I could not stand the washing machine in the unit. It was one unit that both washed and dried. Each load took about 4 hours and it was really loud.

I noticed that there was another review from the same time that we stayed at the lodge in which the reviewer complained about the noise from a wedding. On both Friday and Saturday nights of our stay there were weddings held at the lodge. We did hear a bit of noise, but not that much as our room faced the front side of the lodge with a mountain view. If we ever stayed here again I would ask for this location as opposed to the courtyard view as that is where the weddings were held and I can understand that this would lead to loud noises late into the night.

3 Thank we5travelers
Connecticut
Reviewed July 19, 2011

My family and I ( one daughter, 4.5 yrs old) stayed at the Whiteface Lodge for the past 5 nights. I wholeheartedly recommend this lodge for anyone looking for a high-end family focused vacation. The WF Lodge delivered high-end refinement together with a family atmosphere. This is a mix that is very hard to pull off but the WFL delivered. This is an expensive place to stay and my expectations were very high going into this vacation. The lodge met and exceeded my expectations, and more importantly those of my wife and child (assuming my daughter realized she had expectations). If you are willing to spend the money the WFL is well worth it!

The staff was excellent. They were obviously well-trained graduates of hotel "smile-school," but their efforts came across in an honest and sincere manner that is not often found. They were professional, accommodating and friendly. We were very impressed by the suite (as they call it-one bedroom, with a kitchenette, pull out sofa, sitting area, one bathroom) that we stayed in. It was clean, well decorated and well cared for. My daughter loved the kids camp, which was a great relief to my wife and I. We had dinner a number of nights at the WFL lounge. The food was great and the atmosphere was excellent. The buffet breakfast (included with our package) was also very good.

In the end, the WFL was not only just a base of operations for our vacation, but an integral part of our stay in the Lake Placid area. Often a hotel is just a launching pad for the rest of a vacation. I am happy to say that not only was this not the case but as a family we had the luxury of relying on the lodge as a huge value-add to our time away from home.

Room Tip: 1st floor suites facing the rear of the property are great. They are well situated and offer great...
2 Thank ctirish
NYC
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We had a wonderful time at the lodge. We traveled with our 3.5-year-old son and found plenty to do. The lodge is very tastefully decorated, rustic elegance, not too much stuff everywhere, just enough to be comfortable and make you really feel like you were in a lodge in the mountains.

Service was for the most part good. A few minor issues, housekeeping was slow and unpredictable with their times. Our room was serviced at 5 pm one day, which meant all day our room was a mess. We also had problems with our house phone for the first 24 hours so every time we need to find out something we had to walk to the front desk (no cell reception). We never received more than a note saying they were working on the problem.

The pool was great, very clean, nice chairs and towels. Our 3-year enjoyed the pool the most.

The grounds are great; you can wander around and feed the fish in one of the ponds, roast marshmallows at night, or just sit outside and enjoy a drink at sunset.

Our room was exceptional. We had a 1-bedroom suite and it has been one of the nicer I have stayed in in a long time. Nice toiletries, comfortable bed, sofa, chairs. There was also a very large porch, which we enjoyed our mornings on.

The food at the lodge was better than we had in town. Both breakfast and dinner were better than what we would have thought given the size of the lodge. The staff is also very accommodating if you are dinning with younger children.

We would return again.

New York City
Reviewed July 18, 2011

What a perfect family resort, amazing food , accommodations, activities. Everyone is friendly and helpful. My kids don't want to leave. The camp is fun and safe. They have healthful food options for the kids.
This place would be even better if they had a yoga instructor like the lake placid lodge.
I have no complaints at all!