“Best of the Season” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Black Bear Restaurant

Black Bear Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 98 Restaurants in Lake Placid
Cuisines: Italian, American, Bar
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Late night dining, Also take out.
Yorktown, Virginia
“Best of the Season”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

We ate here with another couple on Saturday, July 19. One of the best times ever, and the best meal so far this season in the Adirondacks. We (both couples) drove about 75 minutes out of our way to meet here, but it was more than worth it. The setting is idyllic, looking out onto the lake. Not only the coveted tables by the window, but most locations for seating, even at the bar, look out over the lake. Very cozy bar. I could imagine camping out there when I needed some company on a difficult day. The owner came out personally, to greet us and to check that everything was satisfactory. Wait staff were professional, courteous, and friendly. The food was perfection. My lake trout was super fresh, and done with a minimum of fuss, with expertly prepared fresh veggies. My friend had another perfectly prepared seafood dish. Our spouses both had steak, and were very satisfied with their choices. If we had been able to make room, desserts looked tempting, but dinner was more than adequate without it. In all, a must in Lake Placid, and worth a detour if you are nearby.

1 Thank annbarbieaim

Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful food, service and view of Mirror Lake”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

Like most restaurants in Lake Placid overlooking Mirror Lake a meal with drinks will run about $100.00 for two. But sooooo worth it! Everything was great tasting and the drinks were generous. Highly recommend you try it.

Visited July 2014
“Poor food, poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We are in Lake Placid, on family vacation. We were walking along Main Street, and came across the first restaurant that had a kids' menu and decided to go in. The waitress was immediately annoyed that we had children, as did the rest of the people there. At first glance this looks like an American pub. Draft beer special, bar crowd, patrons watching soccer. It looked like nice casual fare. But they were trying to be something they are not. If you want to be a fancy restaurant, with dinner specials, then
don't offer a kids' menu, don't have televisions.
We were actually turned down bread. A server was walking a basket of bread over to our table and our waitress abruptly stopped her since we had ordered off of the pub menu. My children were disappointed and I was mortified.
Oh, and besides the food was awful. Not worth our saved up vacation money!

1 Thank Haus04
Briarcliff Manor, New York, United States
“Wouldnot return here”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

We had lunch the other day. Service was slow. Waitress promised food would come out but we kept on waiting and she knew I had a meeting to get to. Nothing special about the food and the person I was with had to send her salad back several times as they just did not seem to care to get it right. Waitress has a bit of attitude which made experience unpleasant.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank FredSiegel
CNY, United States
“Black Bear Steak= Yes!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

I was very happy with my experience at this restaurant. I thought the prices were reasonable, especially considering the quality and quantity of food provided. I like my steaks medium-well, but have had considerable difficulty actually getting that at restaurants- it typically ends up being well-done. However, Black Bear nailed it perfectly. My black bear steak was among the best I've had. I do think the salads could be improved, but since everything else went so well (service included), I can look past that easily. My dining partner had a temperature issue with his steak, which was fixed very quickly and they were totally satisfied with their meal in the end as well. Also, the view is wonderful. My only regret is that I didn't save room for desert! As for appearance, the carpentry work isn't the prettiest, however, there is local artists' work everywhere, adding to the Adirondack feel of the place.