“The Locals Eat Here”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Very good breakfast - off the menu or all you can eat buffet. The eggs and blueberry pancakes are great. The service is good. The management is pleasant. On a recent three day visit to Lake Placid we at breakfast at Ho Jo's three times.

4  Thank WestchesterMike

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I think there's only 2 Howard Johnson Restaurants left in the country. Service was very good, our waitress was very friendly and attentive. The clam strips were amazing, as they always were. Very large portion! Chicken and biscuits were also very good. Plus, have the food bar! Many different choices and great salad bar! All very good. Mexican, pizza, etc. They have t-shirts, and other souvenirs for sale. Also read the newspaper articles by the entrance/exit. Even if it;s just for a little snack, come here for an experience of an extremely rare HoJo restaurant!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband bribes me to leave our camp in the morning by offering to take me to Howard Johnsons. All the breakfasts are well done but my favorite is the Blueberry Pancake Sundae. The pancakes are filled with wild blueberries and topped with "homemade" blueberry syrup. This is not the normal gooey blueberry glop you get elsewhere. The syrup is a light syrup made with lots of wild blueberries. The Sundae is topped with ice cream and whipped cream if you wish. This is one of only several Howard Johnson's left and it is not the prepackaged type of food that was served in later years. This place cooks for you. Although old, the restrooms are very adequate.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Enjoyed the food and the milkshakes. Delicious hamburgers and black bean burger. Good prices and specials.

1  Thank MK W
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This is was our second visit in a year. Last year we went and had a good breakfast. But the food is just "meh" for dinner. We sat at a booth. The window sills were dirty. Dusty with little dead bugs. The rest of the restaurant seemed clean as were the bathrooms. There was a cup on the window sill that looked like a small juice cup from the morning service.

I wanted a salad from the salad bar and a Reuben sandwich. They told me I had to purchase the full salad bar with my $8.95 Reubin. My son's child menu had a free salad bar with his $5.00 mac and cheese. This didn't make sense. I would have even paid a smaller amount for the salad bar but making the customer pay the full shot when they are getting another entree is ridiculous. So I opted to get a meatloaf dinner so I could get a salad. My husband said my meatloaf tasted like dirt. I was just ok with it.

My son loved his mac and cheese. Hubby got a turkey dinner which was edible but not tasty. I think the owners have kept the name HoJo but the food is a step down from like a Ponderosa.

I would keep HoJo on the radar for breakfast. They still have the infamous fried clams which I didn't eat. I guess I miss the orange and blue menu of yester year. Ice cream with a cookie in it.....

1  Thank larrie68