“quality food, good location.”
Review of The Brown Dog Cafe & Wine Bar - CLOSED

The Brown Dog Cafe & Wine Bar
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: In our 16th year as Lake Placid's premiere wine bar with award winning wines paired with an eclectic French American fare in a quaint, romantic and Art Gallery setting over looking Mirror Lake or have a bite and a glass of wine in our Bar and lounge- serving both Lunch and in between cafe menu and Dinner everyday.
Reviewed August 24, 2014

After considering different restaurants we chose this one as it had the most appetizing menu and was close to our hotel. The decoration was quite charming. The food was very good (I had a hard time making a choice as everything looked delicious) and the portions were big. Would go back!

2  Thank Camsap

Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

I felt like they had forgotten us to begin with. No drinks while waiting in the comfortable chairs at front. But redeemed with a freebie at the tabke. Good views and good food.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

I hate writing anything but great reviews and this place is nicely decorated with great views of Mirror Lake in the main dining room and had great chardonnay and prosecco. But in a dining room where we doubled the clientele when we walked in, I would have expected exceptional service and attention.

Sadly that was not the case.

It started well with their crab cakes appetizer along with slivers of apples in a really tasty sauce.

We ordered sandwiches: Turkey Club and a Shredded Duck on a baguette. My wife attested to the flavor of the Turkey club but the shredded duck was so, so unremarkable until I felt something hurt the upper portion of my mouth!! A sharp bone!! Come on!! There was so little of the duck on the sandwich, the duck is pulled/shredded...how does a bone get into the picture!??

With such a wonderful and interesting menu with sauces and flavors blended into tempting dishes you would think the execution of the dishes would be at the same high standard as the menu writing.

Additionally, they deliver the check in a patron signed cigar box (they even added a pair of glasses as I left mine in the car) – very charming and had the negative meal experience not happened this would have made the experience even more interesting.

So, with this kind of lethargic service and concern over biting into a tasteless sandwich (though the buttery baguette was very tasty) one has to consider whether for a $84.00 bill it is worth the risk.

In fairness to the restaurant owners, I was told the chef had recently left their employ so that one of the owners was filling in for the food preparation. Unfortunate as it is (the place has a really nice layout) I will not be returning.

3  Thank TonyK300
Reviewed August 20, 2014

The wine list if voluminous and the food is very good. This restaurant is now my go-to place in Lake Placid. I have had very good meals there the last three visits at different times of the year from high season to ghostown season. We had an absolutely astounding Lobster Nachos with big bits of real lobster in a decadent cream and cheese sauce. So tasty. We also had a nice steak au poivre and a deliscious scallps rockefeller. I have never duplicated an order in my three visits and was wowed each time.

5  Thank Louis S
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Following some excellent and good reviews online, we went for a lunch in this place at a sunny Saturday noon. This was a huge mistake. The place has an excellent view for the lake, and we got a great table by the windows. And that was it. The place was fairly empty for a busy Saturday, and we noticed that a large group of people has just left, leaving most of their food on the table. We began to hesitate whether we should stay, but decided to ignore our hunch and to order lunch. I wish we hadn't. We took a confy duck sandwich and a chicken sandwich. Both were equally disgusting . The taste of the duck, if there were any pieces of it, was overshadowed by too many carmelized onion. The chicken sandwich was so bad, that I couldn't eat it. Almost no chicken, and way too much cheeses. And all for crazy prices - $17 for the duck and $14 for the chicken. For those prices, you can have a nice dinner somewhere else. The wine, if any one wonders, was bad as well. For a place that calls itself a wine bar, one would expect that the wine won't be as sour as mine was. A total disappointment.

3  Thank Np-ln