“Slow to start...good food and wine”
Review of The Brown Dog Cafe & Wine Bar - CLOSED

The Brown Dog Cafe & Wine Bar
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: In our 16th year as Lake Placid's premiere wine bar with award winning wines paired with an eclectic French American fare in a quaint, romantic and Art Gallery setting over looking Mirror Lake or have a bite and a glass of wine in our Bar and lounge- serving both Lunch and in between cafe menu and Dinner everyday.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Slow to start...good food and wine”
Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

I felt like they had forgotten us to begin with. No drinks while waiting in the comfortable chairs at front. But redeemed with a freebie at the tabke. Good views and good food.

New Jersey
“Slow Service and Questionable Attention to Detail”
Reviewed August 21, 2014

I hate writing anything but great reviews and this place is nicely decorated with great views of Mirror Lake in the main dining room and had great chardonnay and prosecco. But in a dining room where we doubled the clientele when we walked in, I would have expected exceptional service and attention.

Sadly that was not the case.

It started well with their crab cakes appetizer along with slivers of apples in a really tasty sauce.

We ordered sandwiches: Turkey Club and a Shredded Duck on a baguette. My wife attested to the flavor of the Turkey club but the shredded duck was so, so unremarkable until I felt something hurt the upper portion of my mouth!! A sharp bone!! Come on!! There was so little of the duck on the sandwich, the duck is pulled/shredded...how does a bone get into the picture!??

With such a wonderful and interesting menu with sauces and flavors blended into tempting dishes you would think the execution of the dishes would be at the same high standard as the menu writing.

Additionally, they deliver the check in a patron signed cigar box (they even added a pair of glasses as I left mine in the car) – very charming and had the negative meal experience not happened this would have made the experience even more interesting.

So, with this kind of lethargic service and concern over biting into a tasteless sandwich (though the buttery baguette was very tasty) one has to consider whether for a $84.00 bill it is worth the risk.

In fairness to the restaurant owners, I was told the chef had recently left their employ so that one of the owners was filling in for the food preparation. Unfortunate as it is (the place has a really nice layout) I will not be returning.

3 Thank TonyK300
Stony Point, New York
“Very Good Food”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

The wine list if voluminous and the food is very good. This restaurant is now my go-to place in Lake Placid. I have had very good meals there the last three visits at different times of the year from high season to ghostown season. We had an absolutely astounding Lobster Nachos with big bits of real lobster in a decadent cream and cheese sauce. So tasty. We also had a nice steak au poivre and a deliscious scallps rockefeller. I have never duplicated an order in my three visits and was wowed each time.

Visited August 2014
5 Thank Louis S
Sydney, Australia
“Great view, terrible food. Avoid in all cost”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Following some excellent and good reviews online, we went for a lunch in this place at a sunny Saturday noon. This was a huge mistake. The place has an excellent view for the lake, and we got a great table by the windows. And that was it. The place was fairly empty for a busy Saturday, and we noticed that a large group of people has just left, leaving most of their food on the table. We began to hesitate whether we should stay, but decided to ignore our hunch and to order lunch. I wish we hadn't. We took a confy duck sandwich and a chicken sandwich. Both were equally disgusting . The taste of the duck, if there were any pieces of it, was overshadowed by too many carmelized onion. The chicken sandwich was so bad, that I couldn't eat it. Almost no chicken, and way too much cheeses. And all for crazy prices - $17 for the duck and $14 for the chicken. For those prices, you can have a nice dinner somewhere else. The wine, if any one wonders, was bad as well. For a place that calls itself a wine bar, one would expect that the wine won't be as sour as mine was. A total disappointment.

3 Thank Np-ln
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice place for lunch”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

On a recent visit to Lake Placid, a friend and I decided to stop into the Brown Dog for a late lunch. We waited a short time for a table on the window, which really is the draw of the dining room. This place has a beautiful view of Mirror Lake, and since the weather was a bit unpredictable the day we were here, it was nice to know we were not going to get rained on at an outdoor patio.
First, I have to say they do have some nice wines. Their prices were fairly reasonable considering they actually had recognizable labels even on their 'by the glass' list. Thank you for having a real chardonnay (Sonoma Cutrer!).
Their food was really good. I ordered a wonderful duck sandwich, which was well balanced with brie and fig jam. Really delicious. My friend ordered the corn beef sandwich, which was piled high with meat and she said it was wonderful.
They did seem a bit understaffed, but I found our waiter to be friendly, albeit a bit 'rushed'.
I would definitely eat here again, and I would recommend this place for anyone who wants a tasty lunch with a really nice glass of wine.

2 Thank DelcoMom