“shut down”
Review of The Brown Dog Cafe & Wine Bar - CLOSED

The Brown Dog Cafe & Wine Bar
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar, International
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: In our 16th year as Lake Placid's premiere wine bar with award winning wines paired with an eclectic French American fare in a quaint, romantic and Art Gallery setting over looking Mirror Lake or have a bite and a glass of wine in our Bar and lounge- serving both Lunch and in between cafe menu and Dinner everyday.
Kingston, Canada
“shut down”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

went to the brown dog for lunch one sunday last month while biking through the mountains and was drawn in by the sidewalk menu. Being a chef myself and travelling with a former restaurant owner we were intrigued by the adventuresome menu that read like a foodies dream.
we entered the empty restaurant and sat ourselves at the bar. As we waited to be acknowledged, we overheard a conversation from two people who were lounging comfortably on the couches behind us. Vulgar and unpleasant to say the least.
After fifteen minutes we were greeted by a young man who gave us menus and asked us if we wanted drinks. I ordered a reisling and my friend ordered a pinot griglio. He had no idea what either was. After a curt explanation, he was visible confused and asked advice from the lounger on the couch behind us.
Thats when the debauchery began. The lounger was suppossedly the manager who hasnt been home from the night before. He poured our wine and after i had a sip, knew he bottle has been open for some time for the slight hint of vinegar gives it away. When i expressed my concern, he took my glass, walked away and downed it in one gulp.
I suggested to my friend that we leave. This is gonna be a bad experience. He convinced me to stay for humours sake.
Ive been a chef for over twenty years and must admit, the lobster mac and cheese, charcuterie plate and duck spring rolls got my taste buds goin.
We ordered all three to share and painfully watched our server write our order down on a scrap of chit paper. twenty minutes go by and watch the lounger come to the bar and down a glass of wine every time our server was out of sight.
Our chartucerie comes first. A board with stale bread, a strawberry, sliced salami with the rind intact, a pate that had a green tinge and smelled like rot as soon as he put it in front of us. We split the strawberry. Ten minutes later, our server is back with the lobster mac and cheese and spring roll. Drops both plates and disappears again.
Not a hint of lobster. No Shell, smell, nothing. Basically penne warmed in cream. The spring roll was ninety percent air and the dipping sauce was a bowl of sesame oil. We werent impressed and hardly touched the plates. We finished our wine still hungry deciding to get the hell out of there, but no sign of our server.
Four elderly people walked in as we were getting impatient and i had to speak up and told them they should find somewhere else to eat.
Server shows up and we express our disappointment. He says,"those damn kitchen guys!'
He gives us our bill and charges us full pop for three untouched plates. $55.
Waiting for another fifteen minutes with my card on the bar and no sign of our server, i left a five dollar bill and left.
Cudos to the person who put the words of that menu on paper, but a word of advice to the owner... your place sucks.
Greg Hogan
Kingston, Ont

• Visited September 2013
6 Thank greg h

NY
“Nice place, food hit and miss”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Dined early evening Saturday, December 7. Dinner service started at 5:30, so we arrived early and enjoyed there front bar area. Bartender was fun, football on TV, the regulars dropping in with their attractive and well-behaved dogs. We enjoyed an lovely glass of shiraz from the house wine list.

We were seated in a lovely window seat overlooking Mirror Lake. We had an excellent server who was attentive to the quality of our experience.

There were issues with food quality. The soup and salads were fresh and delicious. I had scallops, which were a little over-cooked for my tastes. My wife's strip steak was NOT GOOD. Chewy wads of gristle were inedible. (We took the leftovers home, and I, with the iron stomach and strong jaws, could not eat this steak). However, the potatoes , risotto, etc that accompanied the entrees was delish.

Dessert time.....pumpkin cheesecake was happening. Espresso was lukewarm, my wife's espresso (she asked for it with half and half) had no froth, was basically espresso and cream. The server offered additional milk froth, espresso, etc.

Bottom line......the service was fine. The server tried to please us. There's only so much that can be done when the kitchen is sending the server out with damaged goods.

• Visited December 2013
Merrick, New York
“I love this place”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

the wine is great the food is great the view is great after some cold weather fun with your significant other a great glass of wine and a nice nosh the perfect end to a day ...
Going there for dinner is also great

• Visited December 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Pleasant overlooking the lake”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Lobster mac and cheese mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm do I need to say anything more? oh yes I do it appears. I have to put 100 characters wahahahahaha. seriously though. it was really good. the salad with the walnut and honey dressing was amazing!!!!!! We also had the crab cakes and the salad with goat cheese. All excellent!

AND we got to enjoy it all with a view and EXCELLENT service!

Highly recommend.

• Visited October 2013
New York
“Stopped for a Drink”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stopped in for a drink but not food. The service was off and the prices were a little high. Probably wouldn't stop back.

• Visited November 2013