“The Brown Dog”

The Brown Dog Cafe & Wine Bar
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: In our 16th year as Lake Placid's premiere wine bar with award winning wines paired with an eclectic French American fare in a quaint, romantic and Art Gallery setting over looking Mirror Lake or have a bite and a glass of wine in our Bar and lounge- serving both Lunch and in between cafe menu and Dinner everyday.
OSHAWA
“The Brown Dog”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Beautiful view overlooking Mirror Lake, Service was friendly and the food was excellent. A relaxed atmosphere with an awesome view.

Visited September 2013

Bellmore, New York
“Expensive but tasty”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Duck quesadilla was fantastic, but at $18, it's not for everyone. The place is nicely decorated and is quiet. It's a nice place to have a quiet dinner, not somewhere to have a quick, cheap bite.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank michelle j
Cohoes,NY
“A Great Place to Try While in Lake Placid”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Tried this establishment on a whim and I am glad we did! Our party of four had four excellent meals. This restaurant overlooks mirror lake and we were seated at one of there prime table. The service was top notch, we were attended to by Treavor, who earlier that week served us at the wine bar.. The meals were a little pricey but what isn't in Lake Placid. This restaurant had it all service, location and of course the food. One of our party members doesn't like cheese and requested a change on one of the menu items .. no problem very accommodating . So if you find yourself in Lake Placid definitely this this restaurant

• Visited September 2013
Rochester, New York
2,004 restaurant reviews
“A wonderful meal using great imagination”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

First of all, READ THIS CAREFULLY....The Brown Dog Cafe has moved since last year, and has a slightly different name. So if you loved the "Brown Dog Deli" and were used to its old location and format, you'll be slightly surprised. The restaurant moved in January, 2013, to its current location at 2431 Main Street. (It had been about seven storefronts away.) Also, the old style of deli where you ordered at the counter and they dropped your sandwich at your table has been replaced by a MUCH nicer and fancier restaurant, where you can dine in front of the large windows overlooking Mirror Lake while you enjoy a much finer class of food.

For lunch, I had a lobster sandwich, which was a LOT of lobster encased in a nice grain roll with tomato, bacon, avocado, and mayonnaise. The overall combination was surperb! It was served with some really cripsy French Fries that complimented the main course. Very nice! My wife had a salad that she really enjoyed. I can't remember what was in it, but the combination showed just as much creativity as my sandwich. It was all VERY nice. (Somewhat pricey for lunch, but well worth the cost.)

I highly recommend this restaurant, and I will return in the future.

• Visited September 2013
toronto
“Food quite good but waitress rude”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We arrived at this restaurant for dinner in our shorts (as we were in town for hiking only). I should add that we had not been hiking. Our clothes were clean and we were showered.

When we arrived and walked towards back of restaurant (which was not busy) we asked if we could have a table for two. The girl remarked snarkily (I can't believe she's wearing shorts to dinner) and I overheard her. I asked the gentleman host if there was a dress code and he quickly replied "no, no dress code" and seated us.

We ordered expensive food, that was worth it, but I didn't like the attitude of that waitress all night long... we are in small town USA in a hiking northland atmosphere... give me a break!!!

We won't return... and we have frequented this area/restaurants for over 12 years (we are high peaks 46rs).

• Visited June 2013