“Great food, free entertainment!”
Review of The Brown Dog Cafe & Wine Bar - CLOSED

The Brown Dog Cafe & Wine Bar
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: In our 16th year as Lake Placid's premiere wine bar with award winning wines paired with an eclectic French American fare in a quaint, romantic and Art Gallery setting over looking Mirror Lake or have a bite and a glass of wine in our Bar and lounge- serving both Lunch and in between cafe menu and Dinner everyday.
“Great food, free entertainment!”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I expected a hipster, gastro pub atmosphere but found this to be more of a formal setting. Food was delicious, waiter was attentive and very courteous. The best/worst part of our evening was the pretentious windbag at a nearby table verbally abusing his female dining partner in the most cowardly manner imaginable while the rest of his party was away from the table. Nothing at all to do with the restaurant, but to say that when the waitstaff noticed the nastiness in progress a cheerful staff member came over and diffused the situation very quickly and skillfully.
Had the scallops "casino" and rustic Mac and cheese lite fare. Both were generous enough portions, reasonably priced, and delicious. Also, they have their liquor license back! Will return!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Heinous Experience”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Was waiting for the cameras... didn't care that there was no liquor license but they messed up every single item we ordered, didn't bring drinks, what they did bring was bad and they tried to argue that a soup with beef chunks was chicken 'seasoned to look like beef'. I know they just moved, but they even charged for all the food they messed up on. Moral of the story is that is there is no wait somewhere on a Saturday night, don't go there. Been a server and worked in restaurants for years. They need to train the servers to check up on tables and fire the chef if they want to do well. If you are charging $30 for entrees they should be perfect.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Natalieisveryclever
Kelly T, Owner at The Brown Dog Cafe & Wine Bar, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Our hearts were in our stomach when we read your review. I have tried to reach you both by eml and telephone to no avail. We have had some speed bumps with our new move ten doors down to our gorgeous new restaurant on the lake, that ourselves and our entire Brown Dog staff staff have put so much time and Love into. You have my personal apology that we seem to have fallen short.
I do hope you will try us again when you are in town.
Kelly Tennant
“Do not miss out on this place!”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is my first review on trip advisor and mostly because I have never been so compelled to write one. The Brown Dog Cafe is a must stop in Lake Placid. In a recent relocation during my visit the restaurant did not have a liquor license. This being a dealbreaker for most (myself and husband included) my experience rather swayed me into proclaiming what a shame it would be to be missed! The service and quality of food is remarkable. Our waitress Eden was outstanding. We wish we could take her home with us. Not to mention the food! Starting with the mussles, my family and I enjoyed lamb and filet that were cooked to perfection. The dining room is beautiful with a view of the lake from every table. We however sat in a booth- each designed with a different place- France, London- we were in Rome! When they get their wine, we will be lucky if we get in the door. Cannot wait to return!

Waterloo, Ontario
“No Service”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We entered The Brown Dog in mid-afternoon. When we entered, we were told that there were no alcoholic drinks. We said "That's OK" and we were then seated at a very nice table overlooking Mirror Lake. That was the last of any contact with the staff! During our time in The Brown Dog, it was not particularly busy and at least three different wait persons passed by our table, some more than once. We were never acknowledged. After enjoying the view of Mirror Lake for 10 or 15 minutes, we left. Needless to say, we have no plans to ever return.

1 Thank Muntz40
lake placid
“They have moved up the street and its even Better”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Been to the Dog a few times and they have moved, no wine or beer for a few days becaused they moved and all of Ny states rules but they have a full bar just waiting for the license . I would say the best steak i have ever had ! no doubt lot of great steaks in Texas but they know how to do a steak in Lake Placid .Its a lot nicer than the old building has has a ton of tables with a lake view

• Visited February 2013