“Stopped here for tea and coffee”
Review of The Brown Dog Cafe & Wine Bar - CLOSED

The Brown Dog Cafe & Wine Bar
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: In our 16th year as Lake Placid's premiere wine bar with award winning wines paired with an eclectic French American fare in a quaint, romantic and Art Gallery setting over looking Mirror Lake or have a bite and a glass of wine in our Bar and lounge- serving both Lunch and in between cafe menu and Dinner everyday.
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had been hiking and were looking for a restaurant where we could just have tea and coffee. It was past the lunch rush hour so we were seated promptly. Service was outstanding even though we were not having lunch. As we were entering, someone who was leaving told us "Well worth the wait" - so I assume the food is delicious. Great French bistro atmosphere, linen, silverware, and the servers all weat French style wraparound aprons and suits.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Very. Good. Damned Good. For one thing, Mr. MCF was told they could not guarantee a lake view table request would be honored but they'd try. When we arrived for a 7:30 reservation and gave his name, Eden, a fine addition to what was often a bit of a chilly interpersonal restaurant experience, said, "we'll have your window table ready for you in a minute." Her welcoming presence and the quiet, friendly, seamlessly efficient operation of the front of the house enhanced a wonderful meal and evening.

I had a glass of a very nice pinot noir that was hyooge. If I'd finished it, I'd never have made the walk back to our hotel on my own two feet.

We (and every single table we could see last night) shared an app of lobster spring roll, a really good size for two, and big enough to kill dinner for one person. It was greaseless lobster roll perfection with large pieces of lobster and had a peanut/sesame oil dipping sauce. Very good, beautifully plated. I didn't see a single person order it alone, only to share.

Dinner came with soup or salad, and we each had a bistro salad with their wonderful vinaigrette, I always comment on it, forgetting how good it is til I taste it again. Eden offered and we each added grated parmesan and cracked pepper to it. Very nice starter, very good size.

Mains were crispy duck breast for me, with a sweet potato hash; perfectly rosey duck, beautifully crisped skin in a cherry sauce that was not cloying or overly sweet at all, or I would've been a very unhappy camper. DH had a nut crusted halibut entree, I want to say pistachio... it was excellent and arrived atop a pea risotto...

We don't usually eat desserts, and when we do, we split them. Eden had our dessert plated as two separate ones upon request despite our having ordering only one, and it was a really good choice... a very dark, rich brownie (Valhrona chocolate ) with a carmelized, chewy top, ganache, warm and with vanilla ice cream and plated atop swirls of white chocolate and dark. I don't usually swoon over desserts, but it makes me want to go back very, very soon.

I don't comment on servers unless they're especially awful or wonderful and I'm pretty sure I've never mentioned one by name anywhere at any time, but Eden makes a huge contribution to the much warmer and welcoming vibe at the BD. Throughout our meal she was cheerful and attentive but not in an unnatural, pretentious way, just in a very professional and easy going way and she kicks up the quality of the experience at the Brown Dog a LOT. In the past, the chilliness and seeming boredom of the service staff have been something one endured in order to have the wonderful meal. The one time the meal wasn't all that and the server was still icy, I kind of hesitated to go back, though I still recommended the BD and the food as very good because it was.

This is an unqualified and very enthusiastic recommendation of the Brown Dog Cafe and Wine Bar. I'm really glad that Mr. MCF insisted on tradition and having at least one of our dinners there this year.

I don't doubt the less than great meals that others have had, but things really seem to be looking up here; the place was filled to capacity almost the whole time we dined, much busier than last visit. Even if you've had one disappointment there, it might be worth giving it another chance.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We'd seen the menu a year before, and my boyfriend needed- NEEDED- to try their rustic mac and cheese, so we went.

We went on a weeknight, so it was fairly quite, and we were given a nice seat overlooking the lake and mountains. Excellent view, comfortable table, nice candlelit dinner, and good service- no complaints there.

As planned, the boyfriend got his Mac n Cheese, and I decided to try the Prawns. Both were okay, but overly rich, and lacking in flavor for how rich they were.

I can't knock the place too much. It's a nice place and they do a nice job, but the food just isn't too innovative and this just wasn't memorable.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

The food was the best part of the experience and the service was warm and friendly. The atmosphere is great for all kinds of events. I would highly recommend this restaurant to all my friends.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

It is one of those places you may think twice about trying. Nice atmosphere and if you get to sit outside, the view overlooks Mirror Lake. The food is on the pricey side, but it was very good. Make sure when you visit, you are not in a hurry. It is not that the service is bad or slow. As others have said, it is relaxed, but attentive. Nice wine selection.

1  Thank Hockey_FanPA