“Great food, great views”
Review of Veranda Restaurant - CLOSED

Veranda Restaurant
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2012

The restaurant at Crowne Plaza is phenomenal. Decor is amazing. Oversized chairs, antler chandeliers, tons of windows allow you to overlook "downtown" Lake Placid. Food is great, drinks were great as well!

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I ate at The Veranda Restaurant and found the food to be quite good. I had actually looked forward to eating inside after looking at the brochure but found it quite plain with the curtains drawn and no fire in the fireplace , but it was August so...we ate on the Veranda. The view was great.

Prices were up there but you are eating in a fine restaurant so we expected that. The Crowne Plaza gave us 5.00 coupons so our steak dinners were 22.00 instead if 27.00. Salads were 6.00 extra. Pepsi was ordered at a reasonable 2.00 a glass. It seemed reasonable until it came out in a little goblet with ice and maybe a few ounces of soda. When the waiter cheerfully offered to refill the soda we asked the dreaded question , the question we hate to ask in fine restaurants... Do you charge for refills? "yes". We don't usually feel cheated when restaurants don't refill but in this case we did.

If I returned to this restaurant I would return there in the winter months. The working fireplace probably adds a lot of atmosphere to the inside.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

This lovely restaurant is across the street from the Crown Plaza, where we stayed. The interior has very beautiful old woodwork and lovely wallpaper; tables are covered in white linens. My husband and I sat on the covered deck, with a very nice view of Mirror Lake. Service was attentive and professional. Both of us ordered the boneless duck breast with blueberry sauce - fabulous! We split a piece of their New York cheesecake, also excellent. Prices are moderately high, but we felt they were fair for the quality of atmosphere, service and food.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

However - this is NOT a casual dining restaurant as the sign indicates. Brought our large family (9 people including children) to the restaurant and discovered it was a pretty fancy, expensive place. Probably would have gone some place else more kid friendly if we had known.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Eating on the veranda of the restaurant and overlooking Mirror Lake is amazing. The food and service is also excellent. It would be nice if they opened earlier than 5:30 p.m. I normally like to do dinner at 5:00 p.m. so I can be served by 5:30.