“Think it changed owners?” 3 of 5 bubbles

Fireside Steak House
Ranked #56 of 98 Restaurants in Lake Placid
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Lake Placid, New York
“Think it changed owners?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

Brought our company there for our last meal before they left for home. We love the food, perfect steaks, excellent homemade bread, just a terrific meal all around....BUT this time was different! The bread was entirely not the kind they have ever served, although good, the prime rib was very meager, the hamburgers some had were not done enough, good way to get ecoli!...the french fries were horrible, the potato skins were no longer 6 but 4 and not the same at all, hardly any bacon bits and uncooked as well with a cheese that was tasteless, the veggies were hard as rocks, the only thing everyone agreed on, was the dessert and that was just to fill up as most of the food went into containers that the dogs eventually got. What a shame as it has always been our fancy dinner spot for company that always shows up at our home in Lake Placid. I doubt we will return now, back to the Downhill Grill in Saranac......sigh pro......parking, other than that, made us very sad........

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

“Good steaks. ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

The food was good, fair priced and they have parking. Other main street restaurants are hard to get to, so this is a good choice if you have the car with you. The wait staff was attentive and hepful. Will eat there again.

Ottawa, Ontario
“A little less than perfect but great desserts”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

We stumbled on to this restaurant on our first day at Lake placid. Cosy atmosphere reminiscent of days gone by. Our server was new but cheerful and attentive. Salad plain, bread warm and plentiful, my prime rib was very good but the scallop swam in butter and i left the rest after a bite. My companions' Alfredo pasta was very buttery, the ribs dry but the chicken good. The best came at dessert, with one of the very best cheesecake I've ever tasted, and a very very good apple crumble. Not sure we'd go back for a meal, but definitely for dessert!

1 Thank KBT-Ott
Syracuse, New York
“The worst ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

The place looked great, there were 3 people in it at 5:30 in the afternoon. The waitress was pleasant, although had a difficult time with English. We ordered appetizers and drinks for a party of 3. So far, so good. We ordered our entrees: pasta with butter for our daughter, the Fireside Sirloin, and the Broiled Fisherman's Platter. We were talked into a soup that came with the meal and a salad. The soup was bland and tasteless. The salad was terrible, it had one slice of cucumber, one black olive, only a little bit of dressing, and was not the dressing we had ordered. Then came the entrees. Our daughter's pasta came with marinara sauce instead of butter on top, the butter came on the side (not going to help us.). The Fireside Sirloin was ok. The Broiled Fisherman's Platter was a different story. It appeared as though it was boiled. The salmon was dry and tasteless. The crab cake was dry and crumbly; also tasteless. The scallops were dry and tasted like chalk. The shrimp were chewy. Everything on the platter came cold. We mentioned it to the waitress, she apologized and we continued to tolerate our meal. It became evident that the meal was NOT edible. We returned the meal and asked to see the manager. He showed up at the table confrontational. When we told him he had the worst meal ever, he just said, "Is that all?" and was ready to walk away. He grabbed the check and said, "Guess you're not coming back anyway!" He couldn't have been more accurate. I speak nationally on customer service in my profession. He has given me more than enough examples of incredibly bad customer service. I have never taken the time to write a bad review until this one. If you want an example of the world's WORST customer service, go here. If not, you should eat anywhere in Lake Placid other than here. Save yourself.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Paul C
Ottawa, Canada
“Stay away...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

My wife and I have dined in this restaurant a few times over the past 20 years when we visited Lake Placid. On Saturday nights there was always a line up, great food and wonderful service but something has drastically changed.
We were in town for a half marathon this past weekend and decided to hit our favorite restaurant in town on Saturday evening. I dropped in around 3pm on Saturday afternoon to make a reservation for 6pm and was told that I would not require a reservation, which really took me by surprise.
The surprise was no more once we sat down around 6pm. There might have been 6 customers in the place, the food was brutal, the place was so warm that all the flies were having a great time! My half rack of ribs were burnt black on one side, my wife's pasta dish was tasteless, the bread was excellent and the fries with the ribs were just ok...
We told the waiter that the food was very poor and to just bring us a "fair" bill, that we didn't want to eat anymore other than the little bit we tried, we did eat some of the bread and fries. I was expecting an apology and maybe a bill for $10.00. Instead he returned with a bill for $39, which totally took me off guard.
I then dealt with a very aggressive/rude female "manager"...bottom line, $20.00 and we will never be back. The ownership has changed, stay away is my best advice. Brutal...worst ever!

3 Thank Mike R