“Disappointing”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Freeport, Maine
“Disappointing”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Lake Placid lacrosse tournament week overwhelms many of the local restaurants with large groups and long waiting lines. After our third summer to Lake Placid, we thought we had our usual spots safely selected. This year, all of our "usual spots" were a disappointment including Downtown Diner. The place was full, but we were seated in less than 15 minutes. So far so good. We placed our order, then were told they were out of one of our orders. It's nice to know before ordering what dishes aren't available. Fried eggs seemed a good, quick choice. "Over medium" arrived with runny yolks and whites. Although reluctant to send it back, I had ordered little else and was hungry. When I showed the waitress my plate of liquid, she complained, "Well we only have one cook." No apology, no offer to correct it, but she finally agreed to somewhat grudgingly. The replacement arrived just as runny as the first. The egg sandwich (@$5.99) we ordered to go for a late sleeper was ready with our tab, which was nice, but the waitress never said a word about the second runny, uneaten eggs and they remained on our bill. Advice to others: cook your own fried eggs when the place is busy!

• Visited August 2013

Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Good food for a small diner”
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Me and my wife went there for breakfast. Very nice people. We were seated right away. Coffee was good. The food was good. No complaints. Try it sometime. We will be back.

• Visited August 2013
Syracuse, NY
“Ok but nothing special”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The Downtown diner is one of those typical breakfast places. You eat there more because it is close to where you are staying more than anything else. I ordered the typical eggs, toast, home fries breakfast. Normally you are given a option for onions in your home fries, I was not and home fries came with onions. I would have preferred the no onion variety. Eat here if you are close but don't expect anything special.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank fourwaystreet
Waterford, New York
“Excellent as usual!”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

You can not beat this place. I almost don't want to post about it because it's like the unknown, not too crowded place to go! We've only been for breakfast but I'm sure the lunch is just as good. You will not leave hungry...staff is very friendly and the quality of the food is great!

Visited July 2013
Sarasota, Florida
“Breakfast disappointment”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

It's a diner. Expect a diner menu, prices, and atmosphere. We ate breakfast there and I got the big Adirondack Breakfast complete with eggs, potatoes, bacon, toast, and pancakes. When the meal arrived, all was well until I took a bite of pancake. It had egg shells in it! I'm not talking about one small piece of shell. There were 6 or 7 quarter inch square size pieces of shell. I cook with eggs quite a bit, and I find it difficult to imagine the cook could overlook these when he cracked the eggs. No excuses! I told the waiter about it and she offered me more pancakes, but honestly, I was turned off by my find, so I refused. If you end up going there, check for egg shells before you eat! There is no telling what more you will find there.

• Visited July 2013