“Restful, massage okay”

The Spa at Mirror Lake Inn
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I liked that that the spa was not pretentious and the check in staff was very friendly and professional. The therapist asked me what kind of pressure and massage I was looking for and when I told her that I liked firmer pressure she told me that I needed to upgrade to a deep tissue massage. I did that but didn't like being told that when I was lying on the table - it felt a little bit like a shake down and I felt captive like if I didn't agree to the upgrade that she wouldn't be willing to give me a massage that I would enjoy.

The whirlpool afterwards was nice. As far as hotel spas go the prices seem reasonable. I would have liked to have had more services but they were all booked up.

2  Thank DrASToronto

Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our two year anniversary with a camping trip in the Adirondacks and then a night of rest and relaxation in Lake Placid. I called about 2 weeks ago to reserve massages. The woman that answered the phone seemed hurried and eager to get off the phone. I wanted to reserve just two basic massages and this seemed to be a complicated process. She seemed confused even though I was using the terminology on the menu of spa services so finally I just confirmed the massages we wanted by saying, "This is the $125 massage, right?" Then when I asked her some questions about the facility itself (is there a jacuzzi, how long can we use the facilities, nothing nitty-gritty,) she quickly used one word answers and made me feel kind of stupid for asking.

We arrived on Sunday morning and were quickly rushed in to the separate lounges. My husband was scheduled for a massage at 10 and I was 11 so I used the jacuzzi and facilities, all of which were lovely and what you would expect from a nice spa. However, when my masseuse led me to the massage room, I quickly discovered that the receptionist had booked us for hydrotherapy massages instead of just basic massages like I had reiterated over the phone again, and again...
(For those of you that don't know what this is, it's basically like a water basin in which the water surrounds you and massages you, but you don't get wet. I'm sure it's wonderful but it's certainly not my cup of tea and the first thing I thought of was my poor husband because he's barely comfortable with basic massages, let alone "water treatments.") Luckily my masseuse let me do a basic massage but was definitely not apologetic about the mix-up.

The masseuse was very nice so I hate to leave a negative review but it really was not a good massage. He mainly just pushed pressure points on my body but there was little to no "massaging" going on. To be honest, I think if I would have spoken up more about pressure, I would have gotten a better massage so it's also my fault.)

When I went to check out, I told the receptionist about the mix up and again, no apology. She continued to charge us for the "hydrotherapy" because my husband did receive the treatment, (even though it was their mix-up and he should have received a cheaper service,) and then they charged me with a Swedish massage, (which if that is a Swedish massage, I hate to see what the regular massage is like.) Luckily my husband enjoyed the service and she did give him a massage that is included in the hydrotherapy and he raved about his masseuse so maybe I just had a bad experience as far as the actual massage.

To sum it up, we paid A LOT of money for services that we did not reserve. I'm thankful that my husband enjoyed his massage but he said he could have done without the water treatment. If I was going back to Lake Placid any time soon, I think I would look elsewhere for spa services and maybe reserve a trip to Mirror Lake Inn for cocktails or dinner but I would not return to the spa.

1  Thank chrissyJG
MLI, Manager at The Spa at Mirror Lake Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Thank you for choosing our Spa to help celebrate your anniversary. Your service arrangements and check out were handled by myself as well as Patty our Spa Supervisor. She is very experienced and explicit in explaining our services and what they entail. I am very sorry there was a misunderstanding.

When reserving your appointments you had requested the Signature Massage which is a $120 for a 50 minute service. We do not have any massage treatments for $125. Patty clarified the service by explaining how the Dry Float Soft Pack system works to verify that this was the service you were looking for. She also explained that we only have one room to provide this particular service in and that is why your services were booked one hour apart. We did not intend for you to feel rushed for your service. We did wait for the two of you to talk and part ways before giving you the tour of our facilities. We apologize that you felt rushed. Your massage therapist wanted to ensure the best experience and was happy to accommodate your request of a Swedish Massage ($112) instead of the Signature Massage that was originally booked. He is one of our most experienced therapists who specializes in deep tissue and sports massage and is very empathetic to his client’s sensitivity. Unfortunately, as you indicated in your posting, you did not provide the feedback so that he could adjust his pressure. In such a situation the therapist would move down the middle of the road and look for non-verbal signals as to your comfort or discomfort. In the future to maximize the quality of your massage please be more verbal and provide ongoing feedback when necessary.

I personally handled your check out and clearly remember apologizing for the misunderstanding. Additionally I remember responding to your inquiry of your services only being $80 and as I explained that price was only for a 25 minute deep tissue massage. After adjusting your bill I gave you our menu of services as requested and let you know if you had any more questions to please let me know.

We take lengthy measures to ensure we are providing our guests with the experience they desire and I apologize again for the misunderstanding. I am glad your husband enjoyed his massage and I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Annie Brucker
Spa Manager

Reviewed August 3, 2012

We enjoyed seeing Olympic hopefuls practice their freestyle skiing. It was a great way to spend a couple hours. We also took the chairlift to the top of the ski jumps. Unfortunately, the ski jumpers were not jumping that day, but we did enjoy the other show.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Loved the maple scrub/vichy shower as well as the 50 minute massage. Beautiful facility, top-notch amenities.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Spent a wonderful morning getting manicures, pedicures and massages. The facilities are beautiful and the staff is friendly and very good at what they do. I highly recommend it.