“A must stop in Lake Placid”
Review of Pan Dolce - CLOSED

Pan Dolce
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Pan Dolce, meaning “sweet bread” in Italian, is a full service restaurant located just beyond the hustle and bustle of Main Street in Lake Placid.Our menu offers a selection of seasonal dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We pride ourselves in creating a casual gourmet experience with high standards of quality, service and convenience. All of our tempting dishes are crafted in our kitchen using carefully selected local ingredients.We braise, roast, poach, boil and bake all our own meats, poultry, and breads. Enjoy our distinctive, spacious, Eco-friendly, restaurant - designed with natural materials and a contemporary feel. Pan Dolce welcomes families, friends and groups of all sizes.
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I've visited the restaurant on several occasions since it's reopening. Although some have complained about service, I found them very friendly. The restaurant itself as clean as they come and very decorative for the holidays. The atmosphere is perfect for a good family meal, one with friends, or i've popped in for lunch myself. I couldn't pick a favorite plate to speak about as i've yet to have anything bad from the menu.

1  Thank Josh518

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Dinner the day before New Year's Eve was beautifully presented and very tasty. The Wild Mushroom Risotto was just the right portion size. The grilled salmon was the best in Lake Placid. Our server seemed to be brand new-didn't know the bar menu or the food menu. She forgot to tell us about the specials. But she was friendly. The decor is perfect (including the well designed and very clean bathroom). Even the coat hooks are well positioned.

1  Thank Susannah V
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I tried this newly reopened restaurant for breakfast and throughly enjoyed the experience. We returned the next night with friends for dinner and were pleasantly surprised with the excellent service (since it is newly reopened) and the food. The smoked salmon crab cakes are excellent as was the rest of dinner. The chicken dish is good as is the excellent beef braciole. You don't want to miss the perfectly cooked salmon entree. Service was once again excellent. Don't miss out on this enjoyable eating experience!

1  Thank Joan7858
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

This had been my absolute favorite. Now reopened with new menu. We arrived when started getting busy and was advised 1st wk end open. Waiter was clearly nervous and admitted he was new and could not answer questions in regards to menu. Food was very delayed and we were served butter drenched rolls (keep in mind we had been served initial loaf of bread once seated), while we waited. Food arrived and presentation was very good and was tasty. Although I had scallops dish which included 4 small to medium scallops. (Luckily, I had a large lunch that day.) In my party 2 salads were missing, and an order not at all correct. My scallop dish was Luke warm to cool when served. In the restaurants former life, management went out of their way to please the customers. Yet despite obvious bad service, there was never a manager to apologize or explain the poor experience. So dissimilar to past experience there. I think they have the right recipes. However, they need a DRAMATIC turn around in customer service skills, along with the right quantity of food and staff.
I hope the management's mentality is there to restore this restaurant's reputation for fine food and outstanding service.

1  Thank maureen d
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Pan Dolce was my favorite restaurant in the Tri-Lakes area. Indeed, I wrote a review of this establishment, in which I expressed nothing but admiration. So it is with a heavy heart that I write this review of the "new" Pan Dolce.

In mid-October 2012, my wife and I drove to Lake Placid hoping to eat at Pan Dolce. We read a sign in the door that said they were closed "for vacation" until Thanksgiving. We knew what that meant: it was not good news. Pan Dolce had the best food but never more than a few diners at a time.

When it re-opened a few weeks ago, we were ecstatic. So we had lunch. It was standard fare, nothing in the least offensive, but nothing memorable, either. And tonight we went to dinner with some friends. What a disaster.

From placing our order to getting our appetizer was 60 minutes. In that time, no bread was brought; we had but conversation to share.

I ordered Beef Bracciole. It was dry and tasteless, as if it had been in a freezer for weeks. A friend had Portobello Mushroom with Risotto; it was about 2 inches in diameter, and the risotto was so scarce you'd think it was caviar. He also ordered a cup of coffee; when it was brought to the table, we couldn't believe what we were looking at. It was the color of light tea. The waitress said that she didn't know how to work the coffee machine. My wife had a hamburger; it was dry and so was the bun. My appetizer, a crab cake, had the unmistakeable flavor of old cooking oil.

My disappointment is exacerbated by my previous experiences at Pan Dolce, which were universally good. But now that they're under new management, with a new menu -- and now, lots of diners -- it is simply not the same restaurant, though the name is the same. What a terrible shame.

We will never return.