“Best Return for your Investment”
Review of Mount Jo

Mount Jo
Ranked #5 of 50 things to do in Lake Placid
Belleville, Canada
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Best Return for your Investment”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I have climbed Mt Jo a hundred times in over 35 years of hiking with groups, family, friends, and even by myself. If I look at my "investment" as time and sweat, and the view as my "ROI", Mt Jo is one of the best in the Adirondacks. The view from the summit, with Heart Lake below, and the MacIntyres and other high peaks in the distance, is iconic. Although it is a 700-foot climb in about a mile, don't let it fool you that it's a cake walk. There are muddy bits, steep rocky parts, and in winter there are places that are impassible without crampons and/or snowshoes. Take water and food, and take the advice of the Loj staff about the trail conditions and how you should be prepared.

Flemington, New Jersey
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Not easy for a beginner but worth the trip”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

As a beginner I am admittedly more comfortable with a level hike than an uphill climb, but in the Adirondacks I didn't have much choice! However, we had read that this hike was good for kids and elder members of the household, so we envisioned a smooth dusty trail that granny could bring the walker on. Well, not exactly, but we weren't prepared for all the boulders and steep inclines. I almost left my walking stick behind, but I was glad I didn't. The last boulder nearly proved impossible to climb, but once we had clambered to the top the fabulous view made it all worth the trouble. We took the longer but less arduous route going up and the shorter, very steep route going down, which proved the best option for someone without tons of stamina. Be forewarned that on a Saturday in mid-Sept. we were lucky to get the last parking space by 10 am.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank jorvik1
Lake Placid, New York
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“20 minutes of a steep climb for a splendid view of the Adirondacks”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is a great family climb that novices and children can do. The views are superb. It is a great way to get initiated into the Adirondack hiking experience.

Westfield, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Short and sweet.”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This mountain offers are great hike for the whole family. We took the short route up and the long route down with a 4 and 6 year old in tow and everyone had a great time. The climb was challenging and rewarding for the kids and the view from the top wasn't bad at all for a relatively low peak. Lots of other hikers there many with large dogs so this may be a good excursion with Fido too.

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great little hike”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Great little hike in the Adirondacks. When we were in the parking lot, we heard people complaining about the terrain and that it was too hard. This is an easy trail, I don't really see why people are complaining about a 2-3 hour hike in the Adirondacks of all places. Great hike, great view, easily done. (Small parking fee at the trailhead but not bad.)

Visited July 2012