“Almost great”

Liquids and Solids at the handlebar
Ranked #21 of 98 Restaurants in Lake Placid
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Almost great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Four of us went for dinner. Strongly recommend the Brussels sprouts and we loved the clams, kielbasa, and sausage special. One had the cured salmon and gnocchi and thought that there's was a lot of gnocchi and very little salmon - the dish itself was tasty. Really like this place.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Luscious liquids and scrumptous solids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Didn't expect to find big-city quality food on a trip to Lake Placid in the summer, but boy were we wrong! This place has one of the most esoteric and exotic menus I've ever seen (my main course was listed as beef heart, pastrami, gruyere, sour cream, sauerkraut, flour tortillas...a weird combo that worked!) The mixed drinks were worthy of the bar at Restaurant Eve in the DC suburbs (one of the best mixed drink offerings around). Superb draft list. If you want an excellent meal, go to Liquids and Solids!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A top selection in Lake Placid”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

This place was on my list to try, but was convinced when a colleague said it was a must visit. The food is excellent. Unusual combinations that paired exceptionally well. I had the blackened blue fish lettuce roll-ups. My friends had the lamb risotto and the kale and lemon savory pancakes. We shared several of the small plates, which were all excellent. The service here was slow. The place was jammed packed, and you could tell that they did not have enough staff to cover; however, they recognized that they were slow and did much to make up for it. Much better than the staff pretend you are not there, which is the unfortunate response most waiters give you in the same situation.

Visited July 2013
Upper Jay, New York, United States
“Unappetizing name, but good meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Despite the strong urging of several friends to try Liquids and Solids, I was hesitant because I'm not crazy about the name, location or unusual combinations. I finally went with a married couple and their 10 year old son. The menus (of which their were 3 or 4) are photocopies on clipboards and we kept misplacing the main entrée selections. The drinks are imaginative and I greatly enjoyed the Maple and Spice which was bourbon, lemonade, mint, maple syrup and cayenne. I ordered the tempura asparagus, goat cheese and beet salad for an appetizer, the pulled pork and oysters served on the half shell for my entrée and the lavender crème brulee for dessert. All were good. My dining companions got favorites from before and their son a completely plain burger, which the server had no issue with as they do not have a children's menu. The atmosphere is loud bar, which can be fun or annoying depending on your mood. I would return with girlfriends for a fun night out.

• Visited June 2013
Currently Living in New Jersey
“A flavor surprise on Sentinel drive...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was visiting this restaurant at the end of June and up visiting with a group of friends (with their 2 kids) I dragged everyone over to Liquids and Solids. In total we were a party of 8 and the meeting hostess was VERY arrogant by saying 'We DO NOT have room outside and we DON'T have a kid's menu and we will not make ANY accommodations by moving tables around to fit your party NOR will we make any changes to the orders for kids.

Keep in mind this was at around 5pm so it wasn't hopping with pub style action to fill their register.

Despite this attitude I encouraged everyone to say because it had been such an interesting combinations of different foods that I was sure this group of New York foodies would be impressed and afterall service could be penalized by tip or lack thereof.

Well, as it turned out we ended up with the BEST waitress there (with the blue head bandana and I wish I could remember her name) because I think she lost the straw pick with the other waitress but she was a GREAT sport that was very helpful with her suggestions. Although a little skeptical at first the group (and the kids) really enjoyed the fresh food and as a group ordered at least twelve different plates and EVERYBODY loved the food and the great drinks that they had ordered.

So, although a disappointing start the food and drinks were great and our waitress was GREAT if you would like fresh food, presented in a new and creative manner that will appear to any foodie you know this is your place!