“Amazing find, wonderful experience”
Review of The Haus

The Haus
Ranked #2 of 14 Lake Placid B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
London
“Amazing find, wonderful experience”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I booked The Haus for my husband's 40th birthday as a friend had recommended Lake Placid as a lovely place to ski, particularly with kids. We were travelling with our daughter who is almost 3. I had originally looked at the 3 luxury hotels - Mirror Lake Inn etc - but had found them to be extremely expensive. I really like nice hotels but equally tend to prefer smaller boutique hotels to larger resorts. Thankfully The Haus had one room (Suite 4) available and I am so glad they did as I can't imagine the hotels exceeding the experience we had. We set off from just north of NYC around 8am and stopped for lunch at the Noonmark Diner in Keene Valley (highly recommend) so arrived in Lake Placid around 2.30pm. We amused ourselves in the town for 30mins and then checked in with the super-helpful Anthony at 3pm (the check in desk is only available from 3pm).

The Pros of this property are numerous:
- Location: right on the lake with fab views and right on Main Street with easy walking access to shops and restaurants as well as ski hire if you need it. Also walking to Dog Sledding on the lake which is a wonderful, if short, experience.
- Apartment decor/furnishings: clean, modern, spacious. The bed in our room was so big all 3 of us slept in it - we didn't end up using the inflatable bed we brought for our daughter.
- Space and Balcony: makes you feel like you live there in this gorgeous apartment vs staying in a hotel.
- Kitchen: has everything you need (apart from chopping board) and helps to be able to eat in for some meals especially with a toddler.
- Little touches: Aveda toilettries, helpful information folder in the room, magazines in the hallway for communal use, widescreen TV, parking pass.

The Cons:
Honestly none but a couple of things to note:
- Aim to arrive around 3pm or have plans to amuse yourselves in the town. There is no flex on this if you arrive early. Particularly with a little one it helped us to plan time of arrival.
- Know the recommended restaurant policies in advance. We tried to eat at Adirondack Steak House across the street which looked lovely but they don't take reservations and the wait was 1 hour. If we'd known we could have popped over an hour before we wanted to eat. We then tried another place along the street which was fully booked and pretty much only takes reservations. Ended up at the Dancing Bear which was fine but pretty run of the mill.

Other recommendations:
- Eat at Noonmark DIner en route. Famous for the pies...really lovely even though it doesn't look much on arrival.
- Breakfast pastries from the bakery across the street
- If you ski at Whiteface the childcare is very good and you can pay $30 to take little ones on the slopes (includes "magic carpet" lift pass (a tiny moving travelator-type lift on the nursery slopes ) and gear). Their "ski and play" program starts from 4+. Park car at Kids Campus and take food/drink if you like as there is a cafe right at the car park/foot of slopes which offers basic hot dogs etc but if you want something healthier you can bring your own inside. The Hot Chocolate was very tasty though!

All in all I would HIGHLY recommend and think it would be beautiful no matter what the time of year. For the price, this place is a steal.

Room Tip: Suite 4 was spacious studio - very large bed, sofa, kitchenette and WC - with a balcony right on Mir...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank magicmonkey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Marlton, NJ
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Our trip started out horribly, as our SUV's alternator crapped out, without warning, about 15 miles outside of town.... after getting towed to a local garage, and being taxied into town, the wife and I were greeted by Andrea & Anthony (the owners), who immediately got us checked in and helped us with our bags to our room, Suite 1. They offered us advice for things to do in town (pretty much everything, thankfully, is within walking distance), and also were very understanding of our situation, offering to hold our skis/luggage in their shop, when we weren't sure if our car would be ready to drive home, after we checked out. While awaiting word on our vehicle, Anthony gave us discount drink coupons for the bar across the street while we waited. Upon learning VERY late in the day that our SUV would be ready, he offered us our old room (at a discount), if we didn't want to make the trip back to South Jersey that evening. GRADE A++++ customer service that I wish every owner/property manager would follow.

As for the room itself, it was everything we could ask for. Suite 1 overlooks the main drag through town, and offers a good view of the downtown scene. Three windows offer plenty of sun in the morning, and the shades offer privacy in the evening. The interior is divided quite nicely by the birch trees (yes, BIRCH TREES) behind a VERY comfortable bed. The room has a fully functioning kitchen and a full-size stainless steel refrigerator, very nice!! The flat screen TV offers many viewing options, and the Wi-Fi worked perfectly. Everything was immaculately clean, and there is a portfolio in the room, that offers even more advice for things to do, and where to eat, while in town. If you are going up during ski season, try to make sure you book your lift tickets as part of your room package, as you do get a nice discount off of Whiteface's regular rates.

All in all, we will definitely come back to Lake Placid, a beautiful town with wonderful people. And on top of that list are the owners of The Haus, Anthony and Andrea. We look forward to staying at your property again in the future. Thank you for everything!!

- Anthony & Yvette Guida, Marlton, NJ

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anthony G
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed January 20, 2012

My fiancee (now wife) and I stayed in Suite 1 for the Lake Placid Marathon for 3 nights last June and were very impressed. Everything was just as shown in the pictures. Anthony was super helpful when we checked in. We enjoyed having the full kitchen and comfortable bed. Location is perfect as you are with in walking distance to everything along Main St. The price also can't be beat for what you get when you compare it to other hotels along Main St where you just get a standard hotel room. With it being on Main St, it was super convenient for my wife to see me run by at the start and then relax till she had to walk down to the finish line to meet me. We've already booked our next trip up for the Marathon here in Suite 5 which I'm sure will be just as great as Suite 1. The Haus is one of the jewels of Lake Placid and we look forward to staying here anytime we come to Lake Placid. See you in June Anthony

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jason S
Brick, New Jersey
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We stayed at The Haus for my husband's 40th Birthday and what a pleasure it was! The room was clean,comfortable and just decorated so modern and chic.The location is one you can't beat!!! Everything you need is right outside your door! Anthony and Andrea were so kind and helpful:)
This just may be our new mini vacation spot! Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Room 4 has a beautiful Lake view. If you are going as a family room 8 and 6 are BEAUTIFUL!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gqlady
NY
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We stayed at the Haus for 3 nights and it was a wonderful little place to stay. It is more like an apartment than a hotel room. We really loved the convenient full size kitchen! It was so nice to make a cup of tea or store baby food. The location is right in the middle of the strip which makes it nice and easy as well. The decor is very modern and minimilist - furniture is pretty much IKEA but well thought out. The floors are a bit slippery and we fell down a few times but got used to it after a while.
We stayed during Hurricane Irene and the power went out for about 2 hours and nothing worked because everything in the room is electric but luckily it wasn't out for too long. Antony was great- helped us check in and with our bags. Other than check-in you really don't see the proprieter's at all. It was a nice- home away from home.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed February 11, 2011

I came by train / bus and I was very happy I selected The Haus. I was drawn by their eco friendly feel, birch / white clean decor and large rooms. My expectations were met on all points and more. The room was very large, with just the right touches of decoration.

I appreciated the Aveda products, the comfortable bed, the overall space, the welcome.
Next time I will book the room with a fireplace to top it off!
As expected there is no common areas but you are right on main street, so you have more than enough options to pick form - I waited for my bus at High Peaks with the fireplace.

I wanted a relaxing experience in style and fashion, and it's what I got; The Haus delivers what they promise on the website and that's unique.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Sarjevane
Hunter, New York
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Staying at The Haus was a dream come true! Our room (Suite 1) was beautiful; chic yet comfy, with all the amenities to make your stay easy and enjoyable. The room was tastefully decorated and laid out with some delightfully unique touches (loved the birch trees behind the bed!).
There was plenty to do in the Lake Placid area, whether you are looking for outdoor adventure or shopping and cafes, and the management provided a binder full of activity ideas and recommendations.
Anthony was very welcoming and personable, both before hand and during our stay. I only met Andrea very briefly but she seemed great too.
It was a pleasure to stay here- The Haus was everything I was looking for in a Lake Placid weekend getaway. I only wish I could have stayed longer, and hope I'll be able to return someday!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple