I booked The Haus for my husband's 40th birthday as a friend had recommended Lake Placid as a lovely place to ski, particularly with kids. We were travelling with our daughter who is almost 3. I had originally looked at the 3 luxury hotels - Mirror Lake Inn etc - but had found them to be extremely expensive. I really like nice hotels but equally tend to prefer smaller boutique hotels to larger resorts. Thankfully The Haus had one room (Suite 4) available and I am so glad they did as I can't imagine the hotels exceeding the experience we had. We set off from just north of NYC around 8am and stopped for lunch at the Noonmark Diner in Keene Valley (highly recommend) so arrived in Lake Placid around 2.30pm. We amused ourselves in the town for 30mins and then checked in with the super-helpful Anthony at 3pm (the check in desk is only available from 3pm).
The Pros of this property are numerous:
- Location: right on the lake with fab views and right on Main Street with easy walking access to shops and restaurants as well as ski hire if you need it. Also walking to Dog Sledding on the lake which is a wonderful, if short, experience.
- Apartment decor/furnishings: clean, modern, spacious. The bed in our room was so big all 3 of us slept in it - we didn't end up using the inflatable bed we brought for our daughter.
- Space and Balcony: makes you feel like you live there in this gorgeous apartment vs staying in a hotel.
- Kitchen: has everything you need (apart from chopping board) and helps to be able to eat in for some meals especially with a toddler.
- Little touches: Aveda toilettries, helpful information folder in the room, magazines in the hallway for communal use, widescreen TV, parking pass.
Honestly none but a couple of things to note:
- Aim to arrive around 3pm or have plans to amuse yourselves in the town. There is no flex on this if you arrive early. Particularly with a little one it helped us to plan time of arrival.
- Know the recommended restaurant policies in advance. We tried to eat at Adirondack Steak House across the street which looked lovely but they don't take reservations and the wait was 1 hour. If we'd known we could have popped over an hour before we wanted to eat. We then tried another place along the street which was fully booked and pretty much only takes reservations. Ended up at the Dancing Bear which was fine but pretty run of the mill.
- Eat at Noonmark DIner en route. Famous for the pies...really lovely even though it doesn't look much on arrival.
- Breakfast pastries from the bakery across the street
- If you ski at Whiteface the childcare is very good and you can pay $30 to take little ones on the slopes (includes "magic carpet" lift pass (a tiny moving travelator-type lift on the nursery slopes ) and gear). Their "ski and play" program starts from 4+. Park car at Kids Campus and take food/drink if you like as there is a cafe right at the car park/foot of slopes which offers basic hot dogs etc but if you want something healthier you can bring your own inside. The Hot Chocolate was very tasty though!
All in all I would HIGHLY recommend and think it would be beautiful no matter what the time of year. For the price, this place is a steal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Haus in Lake Placid is an eco-chic boutique hotel with a unique style. We mix up rustic and modern design in apartment-style suites, ensuring a luxurious yet cozy stay for each guest. Each unit is unique and has great modern-rustic design elements, creating a comfortable and stylish stay while showcasing the outdoors. Most suites have bounding views of the High-Peaks Sentinel range and beautiful Mirror Lake. (Be sure to inquire about Suite 10 with private lake access for complete Adirondack enjoyment!) With a full size kitchen, luxury linens, free wifi, and stunning views available with each suite, you’re sure to feel at home at The Haus. Located on Main Street, we are just a short walk from all the dining, shopping and activities that Lake Placid has to offer. Family owned and operated, our small staff is ready to serve. So give us a bell, and let us help you plan your next home-away-from-home getaway to Lake Placid. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Priceline so you can book your The Haus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Haus Hotel Lake Placid