“Safe & good 1st time experience-Very good to horses and customrs.”

Adirondack Equine Center
More attraction details
Owner description: While visiting the Adirondacks and Lake Placid be sure to include horseback riding for one of your most memorable of your vacation activities. Family run, we offer the gentlest horses in the area and unlike most stables we keep them through retirement. We also run a Horse Rescue, and most of our horses came from auctions and other, unfortunate circumstances. Rides are approximately 45-50 minutes with an additional instructional lesson prior to the ride to help you familiarize yourself with how the horses have been trained and answer any questions you may have. Longer rides available for year 2012. SEI certified helmets provided. Children and Family friendly. We are an easy drive from Saranac Lake, Keene, Wilmington, Plattsburgh, and Essex areas. Walking distance from Main Street in Lake Placid.
brick
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Safe & good 1st time experience-Very good to horses and customrs.”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My daughter (14), niece (13) and I tried it while boys went off doing something else. I gave it a 4 because along with video I would have wanted maybe 10 minutes practicing with horse before getting on the trail. And the other reason is I would have wanted to see something more than trees and horse manure during the ride. 50 minutes was plenty, we were all tired. The owner took good care of the horses-most of them are rescue horses-and we learned how to demonstrate respect for the horses. It was a good 1st time experience and we were glad we got to do it.

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Good first-time riding experience!”
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Our family did not have any horseback riding experience, so we were not sure what to expect. The facilities serve as both a cross-country ski training center, and horse riding center. The staff was prepared, and professional. There was an emphasis on safety, and the instructional video was thorough and helpful. Our horses were very gentle, and well-matched to each person (kids aged 9, 8 & 6). Our wonderful guide led our youngest daughter for the entire ride, so she was always safe. The trails are not very scenic, as I suspect they are primarily for ski training. But we did have a nice place to stop in the middle of the ride where our guide took pictures with our camera (saved me the trouble of taking pictures while trying to control my horse!). Overall a great introduction to riding, and a very fun experience!

1 Thank Sgg639
Alexandria, Virginia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Supporting Rescued Horses”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We called the morning of our ride and we were able to get in that morning. When we arrived, we were greeted by a young girl who would be our guide. We didn't catch her name. She was friendly and she had a gentle way with the horses.

We first watched a video on how to hold the reigns, get the horse to stop and go, etc. This was especially informative for our 7-year-old daughter. We then selected helmets and went outside to meet our horses. We waited about 15-20 minutes for the girl to tack up the horses.

The girl paired a horse with each person on the ride. My horse, Willie was very gentle and is often used with children. My husband had Leo, who was also a gentle, but larger horse. My daughter was led by our guide on Luna, a very sweet pony.

The trail ride through the forest was about 50-60 minutes. It was not a scenic ride. However, it was much like a hike through the forest with the sound of birds chirping and the wonderful smell of pine. The trails are used for cross-country skiing during winter. Our guide led us with my daughter's horse. She didn't really say much on the ride, as we were hoping to get a bit of a narrative about the horses, Lake Placid, ADK wildlife, etc. It was just a quiet ride with one stop to let the horses graze.

Overall, it was an enjoyable ride and I would definitely recommend it. Especially for the fact that you would be supporting a group who rescues and rehabilitates horses who would have otherwise lived in either abusive/neglectful situations or sent to slaughter. A very sad reality.

2 Thank Sabraspeople
Franklin Square, New York
“Can't Miss this Experience”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This place is both fantastic for my friend who is an experienced rider as well as a beginner like me who never rode before. It was clear from the moment we arrived how well taken care of the horses are. It was actually heartwarming to see how cared for they are. Before anyone rides they are given very helpful safety instructions and horses are matched to the riders ability. The trail ride felt like riding in a winter wonderland. The horses were well mannered and the staff very hospitable and attentive to the individual needs of the riders.

Visited February 2013
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The staff and horses were amazing! They were kind and gentile, this was our second time coming to this establishment and both times were stellar. I would highly recommend to anyone who would like to take a horseback ride through some beautiful ski trails.