“Once discovered, never the same.”
Review of Adirondak Loj

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Placid
Adirondak Loj
New Jersey
“Once discovered, never the same.”
Reviewed April 16, 2009

My husband and me stayed at both the Loj and the campground in a canvas cabin in September 2008. The loj itself was nice, nothing fancy, bunk rooms, and private rooms, with shared bathroom facilities for all. What you would expect from a serious hiker base camp. Breakfast was included in the dining hall, which was nice as the private room was a bit pricey. I was surprised and a bit concerned that even though we had a private room there was no lock on the door. I suppose that hikers courtesy applies when staying at the loj, but in these times I would have preferred a lock on the door. After one night in the loj we moved to a canvas cabin for two nights. I have camped all my life in state parks and and national parks. Therefore, I am familiar to a degree with what I will encounter in most campgrounds. I was disappointed in the bathroom facilities. It was obviously a busy weekend, but there are definately not enough bathrooms to accomodate the size of the campground and I have seen better in most park systems. Also, having grown up camping I have a understanding of what I call "Campers Courtesy". That would imply not annoying other people in the campground with noise late at night, and not trespassing in their personal space. Unfortunately, I guess everyone else on the planet may be environmentally courteous, but not observant of this philosophy with each other. People up till all hours of the night talking, screaming, and playing music. In keeping with the fact that this is a "Wilderness" campground you would think that the people who run the facilities would make a effort to keep it that way. Say, enforcing quiet hours. At least the rangers do that at the state parks. I was also frustrated by the amount of time I had to spend waiting in line to get back into the campground as all the hikers had to pay parking fees at the gate to use the trail access. I had to wait with them as there was only one way in and one way out. Needless to say we may hike the beautiful high peeks region again, but we will not stay at the Loj or Campground. This may have been a good place at one time, but once discovered it is never the same.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ladyoftheglen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bronx
Reviewed October 3, 2007

We camped here 4th of July week with a toddler. The Loj is an excellent base camp for folks looking to hike the High Peaks. We picked it however, because we thought since it had the dining room it would make it easier with my 3 year old. But, there were very few children in the campground or Loj when we were there and not many amenities for children young or otherwise. We left after 3 days and went to the Holiday Lodge in Whiteface which was much more to my little girl's taste. This is not at all a criticism of the Adirondack Loj; I just misjudged its suitability for my familiy situation. Oh, and the bear problem was a little bit of a nuisance- having to keep food stowed at all times and having to take the garbage to the electric pen. But, aside from my own situation, the Adirondack Loj is excellent at what it is supposed to be; a base camp for serious hikers.

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank BronxLady
Rochester, New York
Reviewed September 11, 2003

Great Lodge that is located next to major trail heads. Also located on a nice small lake for non-motorized boating. Very nice bunk and priviate rooms available that include a nice family style breakfast.
Dinner is optional, however it is often a great meal at a great price,highly recomended. The "lodge" is the place place to go for both summer and winter trips. Snowshoe rental along with a hikers building that includes a small camping store. Campground sites with shower house is also available along with lean-to rentals that are located on the lake. Area is off quiet and off the beaten path. Beware: Day hikers pay for parking on weekends. Many options for overnight and day hikes from the area. Beware: Bring proper footware and clothing!. It can get cold and wet at anytime during the year. Be sure to sign in and OUT of the trail head register(s). Lodge has many educational outdoor programs.
Have a great time!

• Stayed January 2005
8 Thank mike K
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 13, 2003

This is one of the premiere campgrounds for the moderately talented hiker. The trails leading form this area have the best mountain views in all of NY! The trails are not groomed persay but are maintained to a clear level of line of sight and two persons wide. I made the climb to Wright's Peak which is 3.6 miles each way with two 10 year olds who thought it was the best. We also kayak'd the Heart Lake which is next to the lodge on a misting rain morning and the water was crystal clear and actually warm! We rent the canvas cabins 1, 2, there are three of them. They contained 3 bunk beds with wasterproof mattresses. The cost is good and the bathrooms were clean even on a rainy weekend. It is true that on Saturdays there is a lot of people coming in at night( it is a prime space just outside of Canada and there seemed to be a lot of French being spoken in the lodge).

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member