“Clean and comfortable”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lake Placid
Art Devlin's Olympic Motor Inn
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Vermont
“Clean and comfortable”
Reviewed August 25, 2008

We chose our overnight stay at Art Devlin's based on good web reviews, price, pet policy and the pool. Our recently renovated room was spotless and odor free. The grounds were well kept and the pool was very well maintained. (The kiddie pool did not appear to be usable, but that did not affect us.) Food, shopping, the olympic center and the lake are all within walking distance. I plan to stay there again a couple more times for monthly business trips to Lake Placid. The free continental breakfast consisting of coffee, tea and plastic wrapped doughnuts and muffins was rather lack-luster, but it was free. We went out for breakfast instead.

• Liked — Pet freiendly yet clean.
  • Disliked — Continental breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank trip_vt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Rochester,NY
Reviewed August 25, 2008

We've come here twice this year. Stayed once in the 'regular room' and the second time paid a few bucks more for the 'upscale room'. The normal rooms are very clean and nice...had no problem with them. The upscale rooms are OUTSTANDING for the price. I'll always pay a few bucks more for the upgrade. Large flat-screen TV on the wall, vaulted ceilings, newly tiled entryway and HUGE bathroom with granite counters. Did I mention the fridge and microwave and the private balcony?? Wow! The bathroom is big enough that I could have blown up an air mattress and put it in there!

It is a bit of a walk from the heart of the village, but to my wife and I it's well worth saving the cash and staying here. There's a free trolley service if it's too hot to walk, but we always enjoyed walking off our meal on the way back to the hotel.

The continental breakfast is pretty cruddy...muffins and coffee. No milk or juice...or anything else. But- We didn't care....we don't come to Placid to eat at the hotel.

The Wi-Fi in our room was weak, but still functioned. (less than 400k download rate)

If you're looking for a palace/spa atmosphere then look elsewhere. If you want a huge, clean room that's still within walking distance to the village then look no further. We're already planning a trip back this winter with our young children.

We paid $98/night, plus taxes and fees. As long as the management doesn't get greedy and raise the rates I don't think they will ever have a problem keeping folks coming here.

Nice, Nice place!

• Liked — Size, coziness, and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Not a thing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rhoke
Portland, Or
Reviewed August 14, 2008

I'll concede that the room itself was clean, there was high speed internet, and the television worked, but I have ZERO tolerance for hotel management that won't take care of noisy partying neighbors. My wife and I were staying at this hotel and when our next door neighbors started talking and laughing loudly at 1 AM, the razor thin walls didn't muffle the noise. When I called down to the front desk, the message stated "if there is an emergency dial 911, if there is another problem come down to the front desk and use the intercom to reach us".

Okay, it's 1:30 AM and I have to get dressed, go outside, walk down the driveway, go into the lobby, ring the buzzer and wait for an answer.

I have stayed at literally dozens of hotels (for business travel) and have never had to go through this exercise to quiet a party.

Oh...and did we get a "Gee, let's make it right for you" supplement? NO. They couldn't care less about our inconvenience.

I wouldn't recommend this place if you want a peaceful night's sleep -- or a management that cares about their patrons.

• Liked — Internet access
  • Disliked — thin walls and a management that couldn't care less about the noise
2 Thank pzlevine
ArtDevlin, Owner at Art Devlin's Olympic Motor Inn, responded to this review, December 31, 2008
Art Devlin’s is not for everyone. Our niche is a three-diamond room without the high price. We accomplish this by not having to pay a fee to a chain franchise and having few facilities, one of which is a paid person to sit and listen to the phone all night. It is unfortunate that this customer had to come to the front desk but given that it is only the third time in 16 years someone has had to come to the desk after hours we have not been able to justify the cost of a night clerk. As to the complaint about the razor thin walls they are twelve inch thick with staggered studs and multiple layers of soundboard, masonite and sheetrock. Given that this customer did not complain of noise the first five nights of their stay and only had a noise problem when four inconsiderate guests woke them up I’d say the walls did their job.
In regards to the complaint about us not taking care of noise I am not sure what more I could do than to get dressed, go down and have the noise stopped within ten minutes. I also checked the next morning with the people directly below and on the other side of the noisy room and they both said there was a little noise and that it stopped shortly after it started. Art
ottawa
Reviewed July 29, 2008

As Jesse at the desk said, best room in town for the price. He was right. We had an upscale king room which was huge and was the nicest room i have ever stayed at. The price was very reasonable for the room you got. The bubble tub had lots of power and even a mood light . We enjoyed the lazy boy chairs and the plasma tv. We were on the second floor and even tho you looked out over the town, the mountains and ski jump were very visible. What stood out was the feeling you got from the owner to all the employees. You felt very welcome, as if they truly cared about your stay and not only interested in making a fast buck.
Took a look at the renovated rooms with two beds, they also have a plasma tv on wall and a really nice bathroom.
We have our own cleaning business, and i must say, the room we stayed at was perfect compared to a room we had at the courtyard down the road last fall.
The outdoor pool was warm enough to swim in and they had a small pond with waterfall to add to the sitting area.
Thanks to all the reviewers before us as you helped make our decision the right one. Already planning trip back. Just hope all the good reviews doesnt cause them to raise their prices.

• Liked — grat value for the money, top notch accommodations
3 Thank sunloving
Record10
Reviewed July 21, 2008

The hotel and room were indeed nice. However, they felt the need to charge $240 a night with a five night minimum for guests for the IronMan race that was in Lake Placid. The motel is not even a full service motel. I had calls to my room that did not make it as there was no operator.

Also, the hotel is not as "Dog friendly" as they proclaim on their website. We have a VERY freindly adult dog that is well behaved. You can not leave your dog in the room with out being there - first time I ever ran into that rule.

Room was super clean, nice TV, shower head is at the breast level of a 6' tall man.

• Liked — Clean Room
  • Disliked — Ripping people off cause they knew they could.
3 Thank Record10
ArtDevlin, Owner at Art Devlin's Olympic Motor Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2008
We book our rooms for the Iron Man one year in advance. We take an eighty-person waiting list and turn away at least 500 people over the next six months. Some motels do have a seven-night minimum but five nights is standard in close proximity to the transition zone. The room that this trip advisor member rented was a room that an Iron Man sponsor realized that he had double booked and asked us to try to re-rent his room a few days before his check in date. This couple that booked the room was able to get the room for four nights due to the lateness of the rebooking. There were probably 500 Iron Man competitors that would have loved to have that room and would have appreciated the bargain they had.
When the couple made the reservation & when they registered they failed to mention they had a dog. The first morning when the maid went to clean their room she found they had left their dog unattended so she didn’t enter the room. When they returned we informed him of our dog policy, which includes not leaving a dog in the room unattended and there’s an area in the back for them to do their business. The next day I looked down in our gated pool area and there is the dog urinating on the grass where pool bathers lay and walk around barefoot. When I asked the woman not to have her dog use the pool area I was told it wouldn’t hurt the grass and it was no big deal. The next day we watched the couple return to their room without their dog –apparently the dog was left alone in the room again.
My advice to this guest is to not book a room that they think is of poor value and always inform the motel that you have a dog so you can conform to their rules. There are only a few motels in Lake Placid that still allow dogs. Being a considerate pet owner is a good way to keep this privilege for others. Art
Kansas City, KS
Reviewed July 11, 2008

In looking for a nice place to stay, I contacted Art Devlin's. I reserved a room in the "upscale" section. It exceeded my expectations in every way imaginable. Honestly, it was one of the nicest, cleanest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in, at any price.

I was in room #221. There is a cedar ceiling, a 42" plasma TV, an upper-crust bed, two big, cushy leather recliners, a great view of the mountains...and the bathroom.

The bathroom was ENORMOUS, with tile floor, a walk-in shower with smoked glass, and a two-person jacuzzi tub. Beautiful and luxurious.

Just a fantastic stay, and the rate was around $116.

• Liked — Quality of the room, especially for the price
  • Disliked — I liked everything
2 Thank jjskck
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed June 14, 2008

Found this hotel on the internet and selected it for its great price and the fact it was dog friendly. We took an "upscale room" which was only slightly more expensive than a regular room. We checked in during the middle of a firefighter’s convention (they checked out later that afternoon), but the owner went out of his way to get us in our room early. The room was incredible and included a view of the mountains/ski jump, a large wall-mounted plasma TV, spa tub, fridge, and 2 overstuffed leather recliners. The hotel was close to downtown (about 4-5 blocks) and many restaurants were within walking distance. The collection of Art Devlin's ski trophies/awards and WWII medals in the lobby was also very interesting. We stayed two nights and were most impressed!

• Liked — Location, view, room, price
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple