“Didn't want to leave!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lake Placid
Wildwood on the Lake
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Cohoes,NY
“Didn't want to leave!”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Just returned from a long weekend stay at the Wildwood on the lake. This was our first time at this establishment and it won't be our last. Or room was very comfortable, had all the amenities and even a fireplace. The owners have an outside firepit and provide wood also for those evening campfires. The motel is in walking distance to several restaurants, stores, and approximately 1/2 mile away from the center of town. Plenty of thing to do, we used the indoor pool area and hot tub, great coffee offered in the morning. Only wish I was here during the warmer months they have a lake fed pool that looks very interesting Will be back!!!

Room Tip: for cooler months pay the extra and get a fireplace room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mski110

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Saratoga County, NY
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We have stayed in a number of places in Lake Placid over the years. Since we found this place a few years ago, we quit looking elsewhere.

We think the Wildwood is a nice homey place. The rooms are well kept and clean. The owners are warm and accommodating.

It's a great place for families, I think, because of the open space by the lake, the boats/canoes, and swimming pools (one is lake-fed with a little beach for the kids).

The property has quite a bit of lake frontage and a large lawn for families to utilize.

We typically visit a couple times a year and have never been disappointed. We enjoy the owners, the staff and the fellow guests (who gather around the campfire on the lake-front at night).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank goalnantuckt
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was very excited for this vacation. I specifically asked for a room that overlooked the lake and was expecting what I asked and paid for which was not cheap; $168 per nite. When my husband and I checked in I was asked to pay everything up front; which I did. Upon getting into our room, I looked out of the patio door and saw the side of a building. The only way you could see the water was if you stand outside on the balcony and turn to your right and even then there was a huge tree in our way! And it wasn't even a view of the lake; its the bay. I was almost in tears. I went back to the front desk and explained that I had booked a room with a view of the lake. The tall lady who I think is Petra; (she's the owners daughter) said to me, "No you didn't. You booked a room with a partial view." I didn't even book the room through her; I booked through Carly. She argued with me and I told her I wanted a room with a view of the water. She said they didn't have anymore. I said, "OK. I'll stay here tonight but I will look for another place to stay as I'm not happy and very disappointed." She said, "Well, you can leave right now then." We had just driven 7 hours and it was getting dark so I said, "No. We will stay here tonight but I will look for another place." I left crying. The next day I called the front desk and spoke to the same woman. I told her I would be checking out and how would I be refunded the 2 days that I wouldn't be staying there. She said I would only be refunded if she rented out the room. We were forced to stay at this hotel even though we were extremely disappointed. It was gross misrepresentation. I was told by Carly, the girl that took my reservation over the phone that I could swim in the lake; later to find out that nobody swims there as it's the bay and very muddy. I was told it was on Lake Placid; which the property is NOT. It's on the bay. Carly also made me feel that their property was much nicer than ones on Mirror Lake; which I later realized was not true at all. Both my husband and I own separate businesses for the past 20 years and would never treat customers the way I was treated. I don't know how this property received good reviews. I was shocked at how ignorant and rude the owners daughter was. I saw her around the property as well and she always looked like she was mad. I would never stay here again and would definitely NOT RECOMMEND this hotel to anyone.

12 Thank Rosella M
Miller place
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed the weekend, for our last summer trip. I'm so glad we choose this place. It is simply a nice place. The kids really enjoyed taking the boats around the bay. There are two pools, one indoor, the other made to be an extension of the lake. My boys had a blast in both. We took the free shuttle ,just outside the hotel, to Main Street . We could have walked but the trolley was part of the adventure. The only thing we didnt get to do was toast marshmellos in the fire pit by the lake. Wildwood is good value for an adirondack getaway. It's not one of the corporate chains. (You'll be paying 200+ a night at the many chains there are in Lake Placid.) It is family owned, and operated, and the family works hard to make sure your stay is pleasant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Bridget S
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We did not intend to stay in Lake Placid for more than a night or two. Upon checking out the property and all the added bonuses we stayed 4 nights. Great price for a simple but clean room. The views are outstanding and it felt like camping without the work. Made many memories and friends. We'll return next year and book a cabin. Our kids will love it. Fires each night overlooking lake, use of all boats and kayaks free of charge. The pools were amazing too. Where else can you get all this for so little. Bbq pits right on water. Loved it...Thank you Webers...

Your Canadian fans

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife and I spent two nice nights at Wildwood on the Lake. We took advantage of the $119 per night special on a Monday & Tuesday, and while we were initially booked for a Pool Building room over the phone, at check-in we were upgraded (without needing to ask) to a Hillview suite for the same price. Nice!

The room turned out to be very nice with a partial lake view and a small patio with a table and chairs (it was a first-floor room). The room and bathroom were clean (although somewhat dated), and the beds were comfortable. The grounds were well-kept with lots of tables and seating. We didn't get a chance to sit around the nightly campfire, which was disappointing. We did, however, get a take out a free canoe and enjoy Paradox Bay by water. The bay itself is pretty shallow, but there is a lot to see on the water, and we had a fun time paddling around.

The motel is within a short (less than five-minute) walk of several restaurants, a Rite Aid drug store, a Stewart's Shops convenience store/gas station, and a Hannaford supermarket. A slightly longer walk (about 20 minutes) brings you right onto Main St. in Lake Placid. There is also a free trolley-type bus that can be taken if you'd rather not walk.

The owners and staff seemed friendly and helpful, although we didn't have a lot of interaction with them. The WiFi needs some work. We actually got a stronger signal from the Comfort Inn next door, although it required logging in multiple times. If a motel is going to advertise WiFi these days, it needs to have strong signal throughout the property at the very least. High speeds, while nice, are not as important as a strong signal since unusable signal or frequent disconnects can be much more frustrating that slower speeds.

Although we didn't get to use the lake-fed swimming pool, we know our kids would have loved it had they been traveling with us. The sandy beach and playground equipment are nice touches as well. The indoor pool and hot tub didn't look as appealing, though (we didn't get to use them either).

Compared to other motels in the area with fewer amenities, Wildwood on the Lake is a pretty good value. It's not the newest motel in Lake Placid, nor the most ritzy, but it's a very nice place to stay for the money.

Room Tip: Motorcyclist tip: Parking for Lakeview/Hillview rooms is paved with a steep hill before the parking...
Gananoque, Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We enjoyed our stay. The property is right on the lake, with lots of amenities, the rooms were clean if somewhat dated and the staff helpful. One drawback, the rooms are far from soundproof
so if you are a light sleeper, try and get as far away from the road as possible. It gets busy very early. It is good value and a good location for families.

Room Tip: Not poolside building, tends to be noisy