Wildwood on the Lake
Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
$239
Official Hotel
  • Pool
Hampton Inn & Suites Lake Placid(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
$108
$99
Hotels.com
Great 4.5/5
Crowne Plaza Lake Placid(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
$169
$149
CrownePlaza.com
Very Good 4/5
High Peaks Resort(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
$159
$135
Great 4.5/5
The Whiteface Lodge(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
$303
Hotels.com
QualityInn
Good 3.5/5
Best Western Adirondack Inn(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
$76
galahotels.com
Very Good 4/5
Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
Very Good 4/5
Cobble Mountain Lodge(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
$109
$99
Great 4.5/5
Lake Placid Lodge(Lake Placid)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Great 4.5/5
All reviewspaddle boatsfire pitindoor poollawn areachain hotelsmotorcycle tripgreat place for familiesparadox baybit datedfantastic stayenjoy the viewadirondack chairsmotellakesaunacabinbalcony
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and i visited in October. We rented a kitchenette room. Our booking was sort-of last minute ,so we did not get a "lake -view". The reviews suggest that the lake view is very good. The location is excellent. There is a rite-aid right across the street. Wildwood is 1 mile away from main street where most of the restaurants/pubs etc are. Even though it is on one of the busier streets , the room was nice and quiet. I actually liked the fact that it was not directly on main street as the traffic was significant on main street.
The room was very clean and all the amenities provided.
The only cons might be that the rooms are a little dated with somewhat dim lighting and the electric stove is just a little above adequate. This did not bother us much as it was just me and hubby and the amenities were all there. After all the idea was to spend more time outside than in the room. It is more than adequate to cook a one-pot meal. The only weird placement in the room was the mini refrigerator. The electrical cord blocked the fridge door somewhat. (that is nit-picking i guess)

They have a whirlpool tub, which is very nice. New towels were provided every day. There is a service ,if you want your linen changed.

Their cancellation policy involves no refund of the downpayment if room is cancelled less than 2 weeks prior to arrival.
They offer free canoes, paddles etc. We did not use those.

Pros - good location. clean rooms. kitchenette rooms available. pharmacy/grocery very close. Spot on for the budget. (rooms in lake placid area are not that cheap)

cons - slightly dated room (but not much of an issue. all amenities available) , stove top just about adequate.

would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: ask for a lake view room. Will need to book ahead of time
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This was a great place to stay. The rooms are good, the heated indoor pool and hottub are good and the facilities great. Note - There is no restaurant here but there are enough places to eat that this is not a problem. The owners go out of their way to make sure everyone has a great time - they even went a got a leaf blower and created a pile of leaves for our 4 yr old to jump in because he asked them at a campfire they were building for him to roast marshmallows at.
The free canoes, paddle boats etc are nice and the common rooms with couches, magazines,and board games to relax in are what family vacations are made of. Our little guy still talks about us playing the hungry caterpillar board game by the lake. He enjoyed the balcony (in every room), the fires, the boats, the leaves, the family time, the old bobsleds at the Olympic park, and the weekend together.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We just spent two nights at the Wildwood. Our room was rustic, cozy and super clean. The beds were very comfortable and the layout - with a fully stocked kitchenette - was great for traveling with kids. We thoroughly enjoyed the indoor pool and kindness and hospitality of the owners. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We had very mixed feelings about this motel. It was fun in a dated, Kitschy sort of way. the rooms are fairly clean but tired and in need of an update. But the views of the lake, firepit and outdoor space are fantastic. We tried to spend as much time outside as possible. Also, the walk into town was longer than I expected (probably because it involves a steep uphill climb!). So the location was more on the outskirts than expected. Also the woman at the front desk wasn't very welcoming.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelSarahH
felixFelix, Manager at Wildwood on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

We are glad that you found the grounds here @ The Wildwood on the Lake a motel & cottages to your satisfaction. Sorry that the unit Lakeside 128 with the new beds, bedding, carpet and updated bath did not bring the same satisfaction. I was under the impression you enjoyed your stay as that was the response when asked. Yes, Main Street is a 1/2 mile. Here in the Mountain Village of Lake Placid, we feel one of our best offerings is the fact that we are not in the middle of town.
Petra Weber

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I hope this is helpful for you fellow travelers. I was tempted into leaving a derogatory review or not leaving one at all. That's how annoyed I was at Petra, the manager of the hotel. But after three weeks, I'm compelled to get it off my chest. I'm going to be objective. I owe it to "Trip Advisor" and the countless people who participate in leaving reviews.
First of all Stephan was very helpful. He took my reservation over the phone. And although he was fairly new to the job. He was friendly and was able to change my room to a better view of the lake. The maid was also friendly.
The beds are too soft. The comforters look old. Pillow are uncomfortable. The rugs look dirty and need replacing. Typical budget hotel.

Petra which I met briefly the night I checked in, was unsmiling and unwelcomed.
The next morning I woke up to a beautiful lake view from my balcony. The room was very old and needed updating twenty years ago. But it was cozy for the price.
The lake was great. I wasted no time in going out on the canoe with my girlfriend. The conoes and row boats are included at no extra charge.
At night we had our own personal barbecue on their grill near the lake. And after we joined other hotel guest around the fire pit by the lake. It was alot of fun meeting people and gazing at the stars by the fire pit. We couldn't have been happier .
The location was great too. Right across from large chain pharmacy, Howard Johnson and fast food. It was also very near to main street to Lake Placid.
In the morning we had coffee and muffins at the front desk.

Now for the bad. As I mentioned earlier, My first impression of Petra was not very positive. But I barely discussed it with my girlfriend, since I'm a good Christian boy. And I give people the benefit of the doubt.
I had a several encounters with Petra in my five day stay. She was dismissive and barely helpful. Rarely making eye contact and always looking agitated. On one occasion I went to the front desk to ask for directions and information about a nearby attraction called the flumes by the locals. A place by the river where you can jump in the water. There was this cute elderly woman with a accent at the desk. So I asked her about it. She proceeded to ask Petra about the flumes who was in the adjacent room to the front desk about fifteen feet away. Petra proceeded to talk to me from adjacent room until the elderly lady who looked like family called to her in disbelief and sighed with emotion. She finally extracted herself from the room to inform me she had no idea how to get there.

We went over to Howard Johnsons next door for brunch and asked them for directions. The staff at Ho Jo's was terrific. The printed a map for us and we where on our way.
We found the flumes about twenty minutes later. Shortly after parking and hiking down to the river. Low and behold there was Petra with her daughter sitting on a large boulder at the rivers edge. She acknowledged me an said she had asked for direction herself and it was a last minute desicion to go there. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried. And why would I. I was actually enjoying myself at the hotel and Lake Placid was just beautiful . Bad Karma Petra..

I'm not saying your going to have a bad time here. It's just simply my experience.
We where on a two week vacation thru out the Adirondack mnts. , Saratoga Springs and Catskills. Great experiences and many good people. Don't forget to climb the summit of White Face mountain. It was our most memorable time.
God bless

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Frank R
felixFelix, Manager at Wildwood on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Thank you for your comments. We welcome the positive, wish to hear the negative and will make sure the truth is told as this enables everyone in making a choice. Your experience of getting directions, straight down Route 86 to the bridge just past The Hungry Trout to the local swimming hole called The Flumes, are useful to readers and contributors. I will add that this is a mid-summer adventure and if you like warm water this is not the place for you. After a rain event it is not somewhere we'd ever send a guest for safety reasons. I cannot say I feel happy that my wife and child feature when use of names of you, a customer who came with a registered guest, isn't allowed in response. However rules are rules and we hope our response, based on facts and what we want to write, make any doubters keep us on the list of lodging options when staying in Lake Placid.

Your travel partner booked the room and was upgraded by Petra to accommodate other guests requests and make everyones stay as best possible. This was extended by the registered guest one further day so we feel we succeeded in providing affordable and comfortable accommodations. We make every attempt to maintain a level of
"welcome" at our Family owned and operated business of 40 years. Guests can rest assured that cleanliness and sleep comfort remain of paramount importance to us, carpets are cleaned regularly and where necessary are replaced. Investment in curtains and bedspreads is a cost of doing business and these are not old. Every room has extra pillows and should you find those still uncomfortable please ask for alternatives wherever you stay.

Happy travels people and we look forward to meeting you at The Wildwood.

Stuart Hemsley