“Great Family Getaway”

Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Watertown, New York
“Great Family Getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

I recently stayed at High Peaks with my hubby, 21 yo sisters and my parents in their 50s. There was something for everyone to do and enjoy! The rooms are beautiful with plush beds, gorgeous showers and a balcony area. We used the hot tub, outdoor pool and kayak rentals quite a bit during our stay. The staff was very accomodating and met every need and question we asked. Had dinner and drinks and breakfast at the dancing bear restaurant which was very nice as well. Had a great relaxing weekend! Bonus - free wifi, nice gym and pets are allowed!

• Stayed August 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Hebrew first
Newtown, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

We originally were booked at the Lakeview Inn next door, but switched to High Peaks after 1 night. The front desk staff is very nice, professional and helpful. The room was very clean and we had a nice veiw of the outdoor pool and lake. Overall I really enjoyed our stay here; there were a few minor things (and I mean minor) - the complimentary robes were missing from our room. I didn't realize we were supposed to get them until the last day. The cleaning person never noticed we didn't have them. The bathroom could use more hooks (only 1) or a towel bar or two. Toward the late afternoon, both the indoor pool and outdoor pool would be out of towels. They were replenished quickly when a phone call was made though, and the pool towels could have been a bit bigger/better. These are minor issues, but the price of the room is not "minor" either.

We did eat at Dancing Bears 2X (1 lunch, 1 late night) and the food was fine. We used a paddle boat one morning on Mirror lake which worked out well and was very enjoyable. Overall, I really enjoyed Lake Placid, and would consider returning to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Lowville,NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

I recently stayed for just one night at the High Peaks hotel in Lake Placid, NY. It was a brief visit, mid week just one night for our anniversary. Every little thing about this place is A#1. We didnt get to use all of the amenities since we were only there for about 24 hrs. but everything we did use was superb. The outdoor pool was warm and clean lots of fresh towels right when they were running out. I never heard another customer from my room and the rooms were all full so they were there. I cant say enough nice about this hotel from the front desk girl to the housekeepers they were all so very friendly and professional. If you want a pleasant stay in Lake Placid make it the High Peaks hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

Visited here for fourth of July weekend. Staff was friendly. Restaurant in the hotel was just your average bar food but sitting outside with a beautiful view of the lake and a perfect spot to enjoy the fireworks. Loved it here!

• Stayed July 2010
Chicago, Il
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

This is my first time posting a review, but I feel I must warn people. I had a reservation for August 11th - 14th. On Sunday August 8th I had emergency surgery so we were unable to Make our reservation. With everything going on and I 'm the one who normally makes our reservations, my husband, on August 11th, sent an e-mail to High Peaks resort saying we were not able to make our reservation but could they reschedule for October. Since I was upset about missing our vacation at High Peaks, my husband thought it would be nice to go up on our Anniversary in October. The next day Chris from the resort called our house at 8:15 in the morning, asked for my husband, he was not home, so he began to discuss our change in reservations. I was unaware my husband rescheduled and Chris becoming aware that I was unaware of the rescheduling, asked to have my husband call him back. In the mean time we received an new reservation from the resort confirming our new October date and the new rates. Please note that the price did drop from $1150 to $750.00 and my husband never called Chris back since we received the email confirmation. Now the interesting part, checking my credit card statement I noticed a charge of $1,159 from High Peaks Resort. Now I know I was on pain medication most of that week, but I don't remember going to High Peaks Resort. So I called and spoke to Chris and asked why we were charged. He said it was the Policy of the Resort that if you don't cancel within 7 days of your stay ,you're charged the first night stay (very standard). And that they made an exception for us, did us a favor and moved our reservation, but since we didn't show up for our reservation in Aug and were not charged the one night stay, but we had to pay in full for our October stay! Another interesting point , I didn't get charged up front for my October Stay of $750, but for my stay in August $1150! I told Chris that we were unaware of this policy and this was not communicated to us. He then insinuated that he must have talk to my husband to tell him this, and didn't believe me when I say he didn't speak to my husband. Then Mike the manager got involved. Mike insisted that they feel its O.K. to charge the full August rates for October and we could use the $400 dollar credit (difference between the August stay and the October stay) at the resort. The final solution (which I suggested after much back and forth) was that they charge us the one cancellation night fee for August @$329, but apply it towards the rate for the October stay of $750. In the end, I just decided to pay the cancellation fee of $329 (which they were not going to budge and made sure I paid it). This place does not make it easy for you to cancel if you have an emergency and I think its ridiculous that they make you pay in full, at the higher rate, if you reschedule. Maybe if I sent a copy of my hospital bill or records, then they would have treated me better. Just want to make everyone aware of what was done.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Movy
Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2010

Yes, the resort is pricey. I was pleased though to be placed in my room immediatly even though arriving before check in time. Parking was easy and my daughters and myself first had lunch at Dancing Bears. I had a new waitress who overcharged me for items and I felt the food was average at best. The manager was quick to apologize and treated me for drinks. Our favorite part however had to be the kayaking across the road. We all enjoyed use of paddleboats, kayaks, and rowboats that came with the room. My only regret was we didn't make it out again the next morning before we had to leave! Nobody was "in charge" and it was so great to try all the different equiptment, swim in the lake, then also swim at the pool also located next to the lake (there were 3 pools in all!) If you like water- this was the place to be. We used the indoor pool/spa in evening. Enjoyed other places to dine downtown.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

rooms need updating, service and staff quite poor, stayed in affliliate hotel that was marketed as main hotel
there are many better hotels in Lake Placid