“first class treatment”
Review of High Peaks Resort

High Peaks Resort
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed February 24, 2009

We booked this hotel for a stay during my kid's school break. My daughters became very ill and ,on the day we were due to arrive, we had to cancel. The staff were very understanding and gave us a full refund. I may not have stayed there this year, but I know where I will be booking for next year.

Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed February 20, 2009

My husband and I stayed here on our wedding night. It was very nice, but with a couple of issues. We had just come from our wedding reception, I was still in my wedding gown, and we were exhausted. We had already paid in full and were ready to relax! The front desk agent was giving us a hard time checking in, because we did not bring the credit card we had paid with. My husband showed him his license to prove his identity, but it was not good enough apparently. It took 5 minutes of pleading before he let us have the key. Then a few hours later a couple was arguing very VERY loudly above us, we called the front desk and they took care of it right away. There was a design flaw with the bathroom door- it slides open (which looks cool) and has glass. It does not offer much privacy and you can become trapped in the bathroom if someone opens the closet door (which the bathroom door is supposed to slide in front of).

I would stay there again, it was overall a good experience- but for the price a little more attention to detail would be beneficial.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2009

Overview: For the past six years, our college ski and snowboard club has been going to Lake Placid on our annual five day “Winter Adventure” trip (I serve as one of the trip’s chaperones). Our group, which usually numbers about forty college-age students, their guests and chaperones, had stayed at the Lake Placid Hilton. This facility is now the High Peaks Resort. This is a major upgrade (and the increased price reflects that).

Plusses: Location. The HPR is right on Main Street, which is a big advantage especially if the weather does not cooperate for skiing or snowboarding, as it has done in the past. If conditions are not favorable, you can spend the day exploring the various shops and Olympic venues many of which are within walking distance from the hotel. There are many restaurants from which to choose. Another plus is the local movie theater. The hotel has undergone a major renovation and upgrading of facilities from when it was the Hilton. The rooms overlook Mirror Lake and the surrounding mountains (stay on the fourth or fifth floor for better views) and each has a small balcony (or patio area if you are on the first floor). My experience with hotel management was great – they were very accommodating to our group and tried to resolve any problems that arose (e.g. smoking on the balconies) in a professional manner. The hotel is right on the Lake Placid /Whiteface Mountain Shuttle route, which is another advantage for us. I liked having covered parking, especially since it snowed while we were there. The free wireless internet access was okay. The exercise room, which used to be in another building across the street, is outfitted very nicely with new machines, equipment and weights.

Minuses: Price. Staying here for our group was more expensive, but all in all, probably worth it. The breakfast that was included as part of our package and served in one of the conference rooms was just so-so.

Conclusion: We’re going back to Lake Placid in January 2010 and will stay at the High Peaks Resort, if the price remains stable. The facility is really very nice and it really works for our ski and snowboard group. In fact, I’m considering coming up to Lake Placid for a weekend trip in March and will probably stay at the High Peaks. I know my wife will enjoy it.

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed February 10, 2009

This hotel is in a great location near Whiteface. The rooms were very clean, spacious, and nice. The customer service was also very accomidating to our needs. We came with a large group of people (about 40) and they helped us with our needs. The location is also prime since it is right on Main St. All the little shops, restaurant, and bars were in a 10 min walk. Also near the location are various activities besides skiing and snowboarding. I would definitely recommend this place to everyone.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 1, 2009

We stayed for a few days at the High Peaks and enjoyed the Hotel. We have been to Lake Placid a number of times and the HP is now a very good option in a town where, although there is lots of lodging options, there aren't many spots that are newly renovated or modern.

The hotel is the old Hilton and the complete overhaul can be most seen in the rooms. They are well done, good sized with excellent bathrooms. (However, who in the world designed the bathroom sink? It has a high spout but it can't be swung to the left or the right. What that means is that no matter how you try to wash up, you will create a small flood on the counter top.) TV is new, flat screen and good sized. Housekeeping was good. The lobby area is pretty sterile. It does not have any "ski lodge" feel. It is still a large hotel, after all. Nevertheless, it is likely half the price of Mirror Lake Inn and that says a lot.

Yet, the hotel is still a bit of a work in progress. The elevator doors were the old ones, chipped and in desperate need of replacement. The indoor pool seems not yet to have been touched, though we understand that is also in the works.

We had only bkfst at Dancing Bears and that was fine. On the food front, while we know others may disagree, we find it near impossible to get a good meal in Lakd Placid. The best thing we have ever eaten there is the breakfast at Chair 66. Service too at most places, save for the very high end (where the food is spectacularly disappointing), is often clueless. After years of visiting LP we have just come to accept that.

Skiing at Whiteface is good but, it is not equal to other privately owned ski areas. Still, the town is very atmospheric, has a lot to do as compared to some other smaller winter towns and it is a good destination for a family vacation. HP is now a good option too for those looking for a modern, clean and comfortable hotel.

Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 21, 2009

I had the pleasure at staying at the High Peaks Resort in Lake Placid, NY. It had to be one of the finest hotels I have stayed at in the longest time. When arriving at the hotel the staff was warm hearted and as eager to help me with my reservation. The hotel lobby was terrific and with all their remodeling it really made you feel like you were in relaxed and in an inviting atmosphere. My room was absolutely divine. Walking into my newly remodeled room to my left was elegant bathroom with all the upgrades. The bathroom had a beautiful vanity and a huge walk-in shower. The shower had two shower heads, one coming from ceiling. It was truly amazing. This bathroom was state of art! Walking into the room you had a flat panel TV to your right and a huge king size bed to your left. Located at the end of the room you have your own couch and balcony! The High Peaks Resort had many advantages over their competition as well.
First of all, the location is right in the middle of everything. You can literally walk to every shop on main street. Secondly, if you are a skier, Whiteface mountain is only a few minutes away. Last of all,every room has wonderful views looking over Mirror Lake.
High Peaks Resort also has two pools. One inside and out. The pool inside is heated and accompanied by a huge whirlpool.
Overall, the hotel was incredible. They are very affordable and not over priced. I would truly recommend High Peaks Resort to all my friends. I hope this review will help your decision be easier when traveling to Lake Placid. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Horns13
Reviewed January 4, 2009

We left for Lake Placid very excited about the trip advisor reviews and for the most part they didn't disappoint. The hotel has the perfect location! You are right on main street with a fabulous view of Mirror Lake. Also important is that you are one of the 1st stops on the bus to Whiteface. This is important as many days the bus filled up before it reached the final few stops and the next bus is not for another hour! The room (two queen beds) was great. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom as perfect after a long day of skiing. I loved the shower! The only thing I would point out is that the windows had some issues. When we woke up in the mornings the inside of the windows were coated in ice (on the inside) when we brought this up to the front desk so they could fix it for the next guests, they informed us it was very cold the night before and that is normal. That is really not the right answer as it is not normal. The front lobby is great they have a wonderful fire place and you don't feel like you have to be ordering drinks to sit and just enjoy. All in all I think the staff was very friendly and wanted to please and the updates were all in the right place.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family