“Nice property, great location”
Review of High Peaks Resort

High Peaks Resort
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Syracuse, NY
“Nice property, great location”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed here for one night on our way to another place in the Adirondacks. What a great location! The property is right on Main Street but much of the hotel seems very secluded from the hustle and bustle. We had a room on the fifth floor facing Mirror Lake and the view was lovely. We enjoyed sitting out on the balcony and could even hear the loons on the lake.

The room was comfortable and clean, and the bathroom was very nice - large and well furnished. Our son loved the two swimming pools - indoor and outdoor - although the indoor one seemed a bit dated and untidy. There were several room service trays sitting out in the fifth floor hallway from the time we checked in at 4 pm until we left at 10 the next morning, which shows a lack of attention to detail.

We were not wowed by High Peaks, but certainly enjoyed the convenience and comfort.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Hebrew first
Dansville, New York
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We spent our anniversary at the Lake House, overlooking Mirror Lake....we come each year on the fourth and enjoyed extra amenities (the champagne and chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our room prior to the fireworks were totally unexpected and thoroughly enjoyed). The recent renovations had a few glitches, but the staff eagerly made our stay more than enjoyable and very comfortable. We had conversations with wait staff, the check-in personnel and housekeeping. Everyone seemed to be enjoying being employed by High Peaks Resort. This hotel is right on Main Street, and within walking distance of every spot in town imaginable.
My wife and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The Lake House is less expensive, and the balconies provide a clear view of the fireworks on the fou...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PeterKozak
HighPeaksResort, General Manager at High Peaks Resort, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear PeterKozake:
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are very happy you enjoyed the Lake House at High Peaks Resort. I will definately share all your wonderful comments with our associates. We look forward to having you back as our guest's in the near future. Happy Anniversary.!!
Greenwich
Reviewed July 3, 2014

This is a well maintained hotel right on Main Street, Lake Placid. Our room was beautifully decorated in the Adirondack look and very clean. The balcony overlooked the pool with views of Mirror Lake. We had lunch at the restaurant in the hotel sitting outside again with wonderful views of Mirror lake. The staff were all friendly and it was a great stay. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: We chose a room up high, described as a view of the pool area from the balcony. It didn't face M...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wayne E
Buckhorn, Canada
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night on the final leg of a longer trip. We had previously been staying at smaller inns and boutique hotels so perhaps my expectations were off but I was not thrilled by my experience here especially given the cost. I may as well have stayed at a holiday inn and saved some money.

The worst was our in-room air conditioning. It basically sounded like a turbo jet. Everytime it came on in the night it would wake me up. I tried to mention this to the front desk upon checkout but it was hard to get a word in as the staff at the front desk are also responsible for manning the many phone calls that come in. I finally did catch a break and mentioned it and they were somewhat dismissive "thanks - we will look into it" likely meant that it would be the next guests problem (avoid room 515!). That being said - it might just be all their units are that noisy.

The front desk in general was very subpar again in consideration of the cost paid for the hotel. My husband pulled up to the main reception area so I could quickly check us in. I was sent back our for ID and a credit card, which is not something any of the other hotels on my journey had asked for. This feels like something cheaper hotels do and isnt very welcoming "Hi - you may be a criminal, can you prove otherwise to me?" Again, this is fine at a cheaper hotel and is standard practice but coming from all the other places we had stayed I hadnt been asked yet for any further verification. Additionally the front desk failed to tell us our room number, assist with luggage, or even explain the hotel amenities. It was just really underwhelming for the price they were charging.

The hotel also had many weird smells - on ground it smelled like salt and vinegar chips (this smell lasted through the night and didnt seem to be dissipating). Other hallways smelled very strongly of cleaners and though I can appreciate that this meant they were keeping the place germ free, the smell was strong and off-putting. Our shower also smelled extremely strongly of bleach. I suppose its hard to balance so I am not certain if there is a way to disinfect without such strong smells.

I had also asked the front desk for restaurant recommendations and of course the only recommendation was the hotel restaurant. I was really looking to venture outside the hotel but they weren't offering up any information and given this is a tourist area, you would think that they could provide some assistance in this regard.

On the positives they had a nice pool area outside and many of the rooms in the main building faced in one direction or another the lake. The views from the higher levels were quite nice. Bathrooms were also large and nicely finished. Rooms were spacious. At night they had a movie playing at the pool for kids and seemed to have a popcorn maker though no one was operating it sadly.

Room Tip: The A/C in 515 is way too loud but the 5th floor has nice views.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jvive
Montreal
Reviewed July 1, 2014

High Peaks Resort is spread over three properties. We chose the one in the middle overlooking Mirror Lake since it was newly renovated and still smelled of paint. What a wonderful hotel with two outdoor and two indoor pools and access to kayaks and paddle-boats. We spent the two days in the kayaks and lounging around the pools. The lounge is gorgeous and we unwrapped a few of the many new board games. Cookies and healthy granola bars with lemon water was a nice treat in mid afternoon. And the beds were incredibly comfortable. A/C was pretty noisy but the big units usually are. We're already planning our next trip to this great hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Seat11A
Dear seat11A:
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at the Lake House at HIgh Peaks Resort. We are very happy you enjoyed your visit with us and that you liked our newly renovated property. We look forward to having you back as our guest's in the near future.
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My wife, daughter and I stayed one night at this hotel mother's day weekend 2014; we checked out to rush to my daughter's basketball game early Sunday morning and when we returned home realized that we left some clothes hanging in the closet. My wife contacted the front desk right away and I was ready to drive the 90 minutes back up to Lake Placid to get our clothes back. My wife was told by the desk clerk it was not a problem and they would mail us our clothes back. We were grateful until the package arrived about 10 days later; my new shirt was missing and it was by far the most expensive shirt I owned. I called the manager - Alexander - repeatedly and never got an answer, follow up call or explanation of what happened. Very disappointing to say the least. I will never stay there again and will caution anyone who is thinking about staying at this hotel. I'm 100% sure that someone stole the shirt and worse yet the management showed no sense of urgency or care to rectify the problem. If the staff would steal a dress shirt and management is OK with that what else could go wrong there?

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Douglas S
Dear Douglas S:
Thank you for letting us know about your experience with us. I am very sorry for your unacceptable stay. Please feel free to contact me to discuss further
518-523-4411 Ext: 4300
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We spent 3 relaxing nights at the High Peaks Resort and loved it. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was great and looked over Mirror Lake. The Fitness Facility and pool areas were clean and well equipped. The hotel is centrally located on the main street so it is a short walk to anywhere.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is going to Lake Placid.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple