“Sketchy, unexplained credit card charges one month after stay”
Review of High Peaks Resort

High Peaks Resort
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We bought a Travelzoo package for a two nights stay in a junior suite. It was a mini-honeymoon as we were married in April. The room was wonderful. We received two breakfast vouchers upon check in that was a pleasant, unexpected bonus in addition to $50 resort credit. The staff was very pleasant. We had a wonderful afternoon rowing around Mirror Lake. If I had written this review immediately after our stay it would have been 5 stars with no complaints.

Unfortunately, one month after our stay I noticed charges on two separate credit cards from High Peaks. The initial package fee was paid directly to Travelzoo and we had settled a minimal room charge when we checked out and been told everything was completely paid in full. These new unexplained charges appeared on two credit cards we do not recall ever using at High Peaks; regardless it certainly would not account for why there were random charges appearing almost a month after our stay there. When I called asking for clarification, and because I was worried my account information had been compromised, I was told to call back later to talk to someone else. That person's off-hand excuse was they had been revamping their credit card system. Why that would be the reason for charging a person's credit card I have no idea. I still need to waste my time and energy getting refunded for the extra charges. So check your ledgers closely if you stay here. So disappointed because it had otherwise been a great trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Joanna J
HighPeaksResort, Guest Relations Manager at High Peaks Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thank you very much for your comments about your stay. We would like to say congratulations on your recent wedding and I am happy you chose to share this special occasion with us. In addition, we appreciate your kind words about the room, our staff, and your experiences around Lake Placid.
I can appreciate how disconcerting it was to receive late charges you were not expecting and to be unable to get a satisfactory resolution from us. Please accept my apologies for the upset we caused you and for the time you have had to spend on this.
I welcome the opportunity to speak to you personally to ensure this matter has been resolved to your satisfaction. Feel free to call me at my direct line 518-523-6293, or e-mail me at nthompson@highpeaksresort.com and suggest the best time to contact you.

Nikki Thompson
Director of Front Office Services

There are newer reviews for High Peaks Resort

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We found the rooms clean and comfortable. The facilities were excellent. The view from the room was breathtaking. The staff was very accommodating, warm and friendly. A very pleasant experience.
If traveling to Lake Placid we would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Joseph W
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We arrived just before 3pm on Wed. 7/3. We knew check in was officially at 4pm, but in good hotels the front desk staff can often get you in early. The young man at the front desk was not at all helpful. He did not call housekeeping to get a status report or ask for a rush on our room. The lobby and desk were not very busy during this time. As we were waiting in the lobby he walked by at one point and promised to call for us, but when I inquired 10 minutes later, he had forgotten to call. We watched as about 6 other parties arrived and were checked in promptly. When our room, 203, was finally ready just after 4pm, the woman at the desk promised us a voucher for breakfast, which was later delivered. The room was a huge disappointment. We had requested a high floor, far from elevators. Our room, a non-smoking King with balcony, had a view of roofs, not the gorgeous views for which we had reserved months ago, driven to Lake Placid, and paid approx. $215/nite. There's a Hampton Inn being built at the other end of the lake, and a newish Courtyard too, and we hope that added competition will encourage High Peaks Resort to improve their customer service. Given it's location and view, our room should have been a service space, or there should have been a warning and a vastly discounted rate when we booked. On another day, we had the 'do not disturb' sign on our door until 12:30pm, when we removed it. When we returned to the room at 3:45pm, it had not been cleaned. I pushed the "Peak of Service" button on the phone and spoke to Cameron, who assured me that someone was coming to clean the room right away. We left to be out of the way, and returned at 4:45pm to find the room untouched. When I enquired at the Front Desk, it seemed that Cameron had left for the day without following thru to make sure the cleaning was underway. Finally the room was cleaned and ready for use at about 5:30pm. The cleaning staff we saw seemed very efficient and hardworking; it seems that the resort was either understaffed for the holiday period or just hasn't trained their front desk staff very well.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Booked a waterfront room for six nights at this hotel and it could not have been more glorious. This is our second year coming to LP over July 4th and next year we will definitely rebook here. Step out of the room onto a grass area with chaise lounges and beyond that were kayaks, a row boat, paddleboats and a small dock overlooking Mirror lake and the mountains beyond that. Other people's kids were swimming and playing the entire time. The resort sits at an intersection right at the end of main street in lake placid -- so no need to worry about parking to eat or shop which can be a big issue. The resort is divided into three separate places -- the regular 'hotel', another hotel and then the waterfront. This never presented an issue. My key deactivated and they sent someone over immediately as opposed to having me walk across the street. The staff was at all times extremely helpful and nice. There was a problem with my reservation after I booked it and Ron, the manager, fixed it and did so without fuss. By the time we arrived everything was all set. Room was beautiful and big. Bath has bubble/air tub, huge beautiful shower. Room was two queen beds, big chair and ottoman and plenty of drawers and closets. Also had to have room cleaned later one day and the cleaning staff was fabulous about it. To top it all off --- dog friendly and the room had NO SMELL whatsoever. Great place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank rapctny
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Found this hotel stuck in the Olympic Lake Placid time warp. Rooms need a facelift. The cupboard door has to be closed to get in or out of bathroom. Air con is noisy. Ameneties and room not cleaned well. Staff not very friendly. At lakeside no service. A couple we went with had to be changed hotels due to filth in their washroom.
Beds were comfortable. Main lobby area quite nice. Pool very caged in.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We were at this hotel for three days. We absolutely LOVED it. The rooms were incredible. They were large, roomy, and the bathrooms were unbelievable. The staff was friendly and attentive. The Dancing Bears restaurant was delicious! It is located at the end of Main Street and makes it very easy to walk to everything. I would stay there again and again.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We picked this hotel because we wanted to bring our dogs. Some hotels that allow dogs are run down and dirty but this hotel was perfect. It is a beautiful, clean, modern resort that offers so many amenities including a dock at the lake with Kayaks, row boats, pedal boats, a beautiful fitness center and three pools (one outdoor pool in the main building), one indoor pool and another outdoor pool by the lake.
Usually I complain about hotel mattresses and pillows but here they were so comfortable!
The location is right in the village so you can walk everywhere and the service was great.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family