“Lovin' Lake Placid” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of High Peaks Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
High Peaks Resort
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Finger Lakes Wine Country, New York
“Lovin' Lake Placid”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

This review is for the main building located at High Peaks, not the surrounding building owned by the resort.

This hotel is located smack dab at the end of the road leading to Lake Placid. In fact you may drive right past it! I noticed the signage only because I was the passenger in the car so watch for it.

Check in was seamless, in fact my room was ready early, around 2pm. We asked for a lake view but the L shaped building put us facing the pool with the lake view to the right. If you desire full lake view you must ask for room numbers 101-108, 201-208, 301-308, 401-408 and 501-508. I was in 317. My room was nice. Double queen.

The bathroom and the beds were my highest rated amenities. The bed was SO comfortable I could hardly get out of it in the morning. Honest. The pillows are down, the bedding is cotton and the surface was like heaven. I LOVED the bed.

The bathroom is amazing. Stone walled shower, rain shower head. Thick white towels and wash cloths. The fixtures were beautiful and I loved the wood shelving and sink. There is even a TV speaker in the bathroom!!

The television had great reception and the heating/cooling unit worked perfectly. I had no complaints about the room.

The service was good. I notice quite a few young workers chatting and texting in the elevators. I noticed a room service tray left outside a door for almost an entire day as well. Other than that, no service issues.

I was there for a conference and the food and service was good. My favorite evening was the night we had dinner outside, in the grass, near the pool with a view of the mountains- amazing.

This was my first visit to Lake Placid and certainly not my last. The village is beautiful and the mountains are majestic.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Carl S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

They have three buildings. What you see online is the best of the resort. The other 2 buildings are not upscale at all. In fact the Lakeview Motor Lodge building although across the street has no security staff - just your room key to enter the building - and workers walking around that couldn't pass a 6th grade exam. The rooms are from the 1970s and if you're told there is a "lake view" it means there is a road and parking lot in between. False advertising to get you to book when the lodge rooms are sold out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Dal147
Canton, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

A nice place to stay. My girlfriend and I stayed here when in town for the Marathon. Although we spent little time in the room, it was comfortable and clean. The housekeepers forgot to remove an empty beer case from under a table, but it was hidden from view so it didn't bother us much. The bathroom was clean, and modern looking. The view over the lake was nice from our 5th floor room. The restaurant that is attached is "The Dancing Bears" which is very mediocre, compared to other places in town.

1 Thank K W
Upstate New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at High Peaks last weekend, and had a great time. The hotel is in the perfect location, right in town with excellent lake views. You can easily walk anywhere in town. We walked into downtown a few times and even to dinner. If you go up Saranac Avenue, there are more businesses (supermarkets, pharmacies, mini golf, etc.) We stayed in the main building in a Superior Room on the 4th floor. We had our own balcony which definitely added to our experience. It was so relaxing to sit out there and to enjoy the view. It is quiet and peaceful, the rooms seem well-maintained (just saw a few little things that needed repair-areas of the carpet, and a little touching up on the balcony). Our room was comfortable. We had two queen beds which were good, however, if you are like me and don't like feather pillows, bring your own! Pets are welcome here, and despite that, it was still quiet and very clean. We really enjoyed having the Dancing Bear restaurant on the premises. If you're visiting during the summer the outdoor patio is open for lunch, dinner, and drinks. There is a great menu and lake view. Breakfast is also available at the Dancing Bear, downstairs with a couple of tables outdoors. As guests you have access to paddleboats, canoes, and kayaks for no cost. You just need to walk through their waterfront hotel which will bring you right down to the lake. You'll need to go to the front desk first, though- they will provide an access card into their waterfront property. Parking was not an issue at all. If you're on the 3rd floor you'll want to park in the garage, and 4th floor, on the roof. It was very easy to transport our luggage to and from our room. Only downfall, check-in is not until 4pm and check-out is at 11am. Next time we will try to request early check-in. I think that guests should be allowed to check-in by 2-2:30pm and check-out could be between 11-12. Maybe this would just require hiring additional staff, but I think it would enhance the guest experience to feel like you aren't checking in right before dinner and checking out before you know it. Overall, I would recommend High Peaks.

1 Thank OceanWonders
Shohola, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

The location on Mirror lake, lake view from our room and dining at Dancing Bears along with use of the kayaks, and boats on the lake made our stay very special. Although we enjoyed walking around town and shopping, we are outdoor people at the core and loved our ealry morning kayaking on the lake where most times it was just us and the loons. Tons of hiking trails of all calibers had us worn out at the end of each day so it was nice to return to comfortable rooms with a nice view of the lake.

1 Thank David D
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

We were in Lake Placid last weekend for the marathon weekend. I booked this reservation in March online with a AAA discount. I never got an email confirmation and called the hotel.. They had my reservation, but told me that "sometimes the e-mail work and sometimes they dont". I asked them to trry agian...still no email. I called mid-May to cancel one night and asked for an e-mail confirmation. Agian no e-mail. Upon checking in the rate was not as I rememberd it at time of booking, however because I never got a confirmation, I had no proof. I did overhear another guest discussing the same issue with a different desk clerk. No matter how you book, I would advise insisting on some sort of email to confirm your rate. Lesson learned.
This is a great location if you want to be right in town with walking to all the shops and restaraunts. We booked a "courtyard room" and would recommend asking for something other than the ground floor. The room with two queen beds was fine and the bathroom was spacious with a "rain shower" head as well as a hand held and a corner seat. The gym had nice equipment with video screens at each one of the cardio machines. They had bottled water and fruit available in the gym kithenette.
The hotel has a bar in the lobby that was never open during our stay. It would have been a nice option if you didn't want the busier Dancing Bear Lounge. We ate at the Dancing Bear twice and the food was great as well as the service. They do have some issue with a leak in the cieling above the bar. They had towels out to catch the drops all night as it was a rainy weekend. That took away from the ambaince of the place....
Overall the accomodations were nice and the staff was very helpful!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank littlecoconut
Clifton Park, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

We returned to Lake Placid on an "Internet Special" at the High Peaks Resort and couldn't have been more delighted with the entire experience. The room was exceptional, custom decorated in a very Adirondack motif. The property was much improved since its days as a Hilton when I was last there years ago. The restaurant was less like hotel food, more like fine dining. On top of everything else, we were blown away by the staff - including a friendly, outgoing lad who was helping with housekeeping - he was developmentally disabled which, in a sense, says another nice thing about the ownership. If you are looking for a special getaway, this is a "can't miss"!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple