“Very nice hotel conveniently located, but overpriced”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of High Peaks Resort

High Peaks Resort
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Mississauga, Canada
“Very nice hotel conveniently located, but overpriced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I had a king room with balcony and lake view. The room was very clean, with a very comfy bed, and nice shower. Overall, I was very impressed by the quality of the furnishing.

On the minus side:
- Room service food was so-so... not very tasty...
- Indoor pool looks outdated... but I did appreciate resting in the hot tub after a day of hiking
- Overpriced... the room is very nice, but not worth the price point.
- Breakfast was not included

On the plus side:
- Convenient location right in the heart of Lake Placid
- Beautiful room and views
- Parking is included

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Hebrew first
Wantagh, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here before, and stayed for a Fri-Sun weekend in October. Everything here is as nice as it always was. The rooms are very clean, the staff is helpful and the facilities are very well maintained. Plus the bed was really comfortable! No complaints here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2785bells
Saint Michael, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed here during a great motorcycle ride through New England. The staff could not have been more pleasant, the rooms were beautiful, beds were comfortable, the ocation was perfect! We had a pool level room with a patio out to the pool...very nice place to relax and enjoy Lake Placid. Everything was perfect!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
West Kingston, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

We booked a 'lake view' room here for out of town friends coming for a wedding. I took them to the hotel. Lobby is nice, location great for getting to downtown (just walk downstairs). The room was fine too, tasteful art, big bed, high quality furniture. However, I was miffed to look at a concrete wall for our 'lake view'. The front desk person confirmed that this was 'lake view' but if you wanted to actually see the lake, you'd have to book a higher class (and higher floor) speak more expensive room. I asked how I was supposed to know that when making the booking I was given a non-answer. We dropped the issue because we had 1 hour to get ready for our fun weekend and my friends would only sleep in the room but the experience did not sit well with me.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank 100Honkers
Suffern, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband & I stayed in the main building from 9/10-13. The staff was courteous & helpful. We had a beautiful room on the top floor overlooking the lake. The bed was comfortable. However, cleanliness is not a top priority here. Our room was never vacuumed while we were there. The fabric blinds had dead gnat-like bugs on them. Every outside hallway window was covered with spiders. The front entrance & glass doors & windows were dirty. Empty soda cans & cups left on tables on the main floor stayed there for hours. We have stayed in 2-star motels that were cleaner.

The only restaurant that was open was the lower-level one which was only suitable for breakfast and/or lunch as their dinner menu only included pizza, burgers & the like. How does a hotel of this stature have no decent restaurant for dinner? The breakfasts were very good. However, caveat emptor. Their pancakes, waffles or French toast only have a price with breakfast meat ($9.95). There is no price without the meat like their eggs & omelets. I didn't have the meat & was charged the same price as with. After bringing it to the attention of the front desk, they quickly & courteously adjusted it.

We felt that the hotel wasn't worth the price we paid. We have stayed in 3 & 4-star hotels that are far superior. I doubt that we would stay there again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elizabeth L
Saratoga Springs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

High Peaks is an overall nice hotel with that said. Check in is fast and easy. Upon entering the room which definitely looked and smelled clean based on the smell of Clorox . When I opened the shades little gnats starting flying all over the place. I opened the patio door in hopes to get them outside only to find them flying all over the place outside.So I just started swatting them to get rid of them! In speaking with some other guests they also to seem to have the same problem. Windows were loaded with dead insects couldn't sit out on the balcony of the room due to the annoyance of bugs! Definitely need new pillow bed was a little lumpy needless to say I didn't get much sleep I have stayed here before and never had this problem not sure why now. When getting on and off the elevator on our floor the outside window was loaded with SPIDERS!! not sure what is happening at High Peaks but definitely won't stay again. Back to the Mirror Lake Inn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank mamdog1006
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We had our daughters wedding there in Sept. The resort was lovely with clean and comfortable rooms, excellent service. Beautiful views and free water equipment for your use.
The only complaint I have is to stay away from the Salon, it was overpriced and the staff did no better than we could have done ourselves at home.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family