“Looks like great X-Country Skiing”

Mount Van Hoevenberg
Ranked #20 of 53 things to do in Lake Placid
More attraction details
Owner description: Mount Van Hoevenberg is the starting point for 31 miles of beautiful cross-country trails that have seen both Olympic and World Cup competition.
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We only did a few km of trails due to poor conditions because of unseasonably warm weather, but trails were interesting and well marked, and well groomed for the conditions. Wish there had been 10 cm of new snow would be ideal.

You can check trail conditions on their website.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

WOW! Where do I begin? We decided to ski during the week to avoid the crowds. My son has never skied before, so we thought it would be best to stay out of others ways.

What a great experience! The employees at the rental and fee station were wonderful and friendly. The trails were amazingly wide and groomed to perfection!

We spent Tuesday skiing on the easy trails so my son could learn. Skiing on groomed trails was such a pleasure and is so much easier and enjoyable.

After 2.5 hours of skiing the easy trails, we did a more difficult trail and called it a day.

We returned Wednesday to try some of the more difficult trails since we had so much fun the day before. They offered a $10 discount for both days, so it was not bad at all. I have my own skiis, so we only rented a set for my son. I found the $74 for two days worth every penny of family fun. We did the 3 Trail Loop which is 3.4 miles. At times it was so scary, but exciting as well. I have never skied better even with the many falls I took. There are some really nice gradual hills, and then some really steep ones. Some were difficult to walk up even using the herringbone technique.

On our second day, I overheard a conversation between some of the employees. They were discussing complaints about the trails, etc. I thought to myself, "How could anyone complain about the trails and prices here?" The grounds are immaculate and breathtakingly beautiful!

The one and only thing I could even complain about would be the price of water. $3.50 for a small bottle. Guess it's my own fault for not bringing our own.

We will definitely return.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We loved this place!!! A variety of trails to choose from and cozy lodge to warm up in. Staff is very helpful. Ticket is a bit pricy but well worth it, you can easily make a day of it.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The trails at this venue are pristine and any cross country skiers dream. Skis are avalablefor rental on site. You can pick from a number of trails that range from novice to expert and the board will also tell you approximately how long the course will take to complete.

1  Thank arteach424
Reviewed February 11, 2013

They have fixed up the cross country "lodge" and it's much nicer. Unfortunately, they didn't have much snow, so only the flat courses were open, but it was a good workout. Staff is very nice.