“Old campground”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Luzerne
Lake George / Saratoga KOA
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this campground. On the positive side, the trees are absolutely beautiful - many huge white pines throughout - and the ambiance is kind of retro, like you stepped back into a campground of the 1960's. It's just a very simple place. The pool is "Okay", meaning that it's clean enough and refreshing enough, but the cement tiles surrounding the pool is rough, and there aren't steps going down into the pool - 4' depth across. There's even a teeter-totter on the playground - with metal seats! The shower facilities didn't appear to be handicap accessible, with a 6" high (approx) curb to step over to get into the shower - the shower floor is shared, meaning your neighbor's shower water is going to flow into your area and vice versa... The staff was nice - even replaced for free the swim goggles that my 7yo had just bought and that immediately broke. The sites are roomy enough, but very "root-y" from the big trees, and again, kind of rough - low wires hanging throughout, fire pits too close to where a modern camper awning would spread to... Our site was also very close to the road, so there was non-stop high-speed traffic noise. And, for me, because I was trying to combine a business trip with a family vacation - there is NO internet or cell phone service. So, overall - it's not a very expensive place to stay, and the area is magnificent - so make of it what you will...

Room Tip: The sites nearest the road are also nearest the showers and swimming pool.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LiftLady

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Although reviews seem mixed on this KOA, it's all a matter of what you're looking for or expecting. The Lake George/Saratoga KOA is most pleasant due to the fact that it's not a "Disneyland-style" campground. First, the loction is great! Anything away from Lake George rates high on my list! Don't get me wrong, Lake George is fun and entertaining. However, in the summer months it's a real zoo! Lake Luzerne, just 9 miles away, has a much more relaxed and quieter atmosphere. This KOA is perfect for anyone not looking for the hussle and bustle of the mega-campground offering everything from A to Z as if you never had left home. Several things impress me here at this KOA. First, the sites are very large compared to other places we've stayed. We're on site 60, one of the few pull throughs, with more space than we know what to do with. Most of the back-in sites are plenty large to allow one easy access (even for those of us who can't back in a trailer very well). Second, the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. We felt welcomed from the moment we arrived. I was also impressed that we were escorted to our site by one of the managers upon arrival. Our site, which I would eagerly choose agsin, is close enough to the entrance to hear the traffic from Rt 9N. However, noise would not be an issue further back into the park. A small store also provides many of the camping necessities one might have left at home. Lake Luzerne also has a small grocery store just a short ways down the road. The swimming pool and kid's playground are clean and well kept. Although we'll venture into Lake George a time or two this week, the highlight of our vaction will be our stay at the Lake Luzerne KOA for some peace and relaxation.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I am by no means a KOA "expert" but of the 5 or so I have stayed at, this is probably the best. Very large wooded sites, unlike many KOA's. Yes, there is no cell phone coverage. It's called the Adirondacks. If cell phone coverage is critical, you probably shouldn't be camping -OR- you should stay right next to an interstate. The wifi did not reach to our site and they don't have cable, but I didn't really care. Camping to me is getting away from some of the non-essential things like TV, internet, email, etc. We had zero problems with the electric and ran our A/C almost constantly. You do need to be specific about electric hook-up because only about half the sites are equipped. We used the pool. Yes it was small, but my 6-year old loved it. I was nice to get up in the morning and feel like you were in the middle of an old growth forest. We have stayed at KOA's with so-called "Founders Awards" and "Presidents Awards". Lake George KOA has neither of these certifications and yet it is better. Oh, and the people who run the place are very nice. Other reviewers who found a way to NOT enjoy themselves here must just be whiners in general.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Larry W
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I have stayed at this KOA for years - It has the rustic camping experience that has been lost in today's busy lifestyle. The trees are 100 feet tall most all the sites are shaded and well spaced out - yes there are some right next to others for those campers who can't be seperated. The pool is chilly but is heated by the sun and after a busy busy day at the nearby amusement park of 6 flags (only 15 minutes away) or a day in town with all the shops, the pool felt great! My family enjoyed the nearby horseback riding and the cute little town of Luzerne. The lake in town (only 5 minutes by car) wasnt crowded and was great for the kids to splash around in - we went kayaking and had a great time. At night we had a campfire in the firering and just relaxed about the fire with the family - Some nights there were even games like flashlight egg hunt for the kids. Overall this is a great place - I would recommend it to everyone - Oh yes one more thing - there is cell phone service as of 8/12. The owners Don and Marge have redone the gameroom area and made a great lounge area with a huge tv with cable tv on it available while the store is open. It was nice just to sit with my feet up while the kids played on the playground. Go back to rustic campling and enjoy this treasure of a KOA - There is only one building of bathrooms but most of the sites are set up for full hookups and the showers were nice and warm. There is a trout stream in the rear of the camp for fishing after a nice nature walk

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This campground is the traditional campground. My family and i have been going to this campground for years. The workers are friendly and willing to help. We always camp in a tent and our electricity has had no problem. There is no cell reception in most areas of the campground (but that just makes it even better, a week without worrying about texts,calls, or emails!). I LOVE THIS PLACE

Room Tip: If you want a quiter area ask for a campsite away from the road
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Horrible experience! Ruined our vacation! Visit only if you have low expectations. . .

We had stayed 3 nights at the KOA in Watkins Glen. Then had 4 nights reserved at this Lake George KOA. Pulled in on a very hot Friday afternoon. Set our RV up in the back wooded pine section. (A lovely large site area!) Our AC died. My husband asked other campers if they had electric. Most did not. . .if they did it was interrupted service. Many had been there all week without much power or used their portable generators. We than complained and asked to be moved to another site. They gave us a site close to the front road section. It took 4 hours there for electric to turn on and then our neighbors pop-up lost their power. There is NO Wi-fi or NO cell coverage. . . .we had the owners call Watkins Glen KOA. We returned there the next day. We did not see the Lake George area at all! We lost 2 days of our vacation and spent $160 in gas up and back. I was disappointed beyond words. Being a weekend, no cell/internet coverage and all "No Vacancy" signs coming in we thought it best to leave.

We didn't ask for a refund of our points and Gift Certificates knowing the refund rules. Early the next morning when we were pulling out a young lady came out and handed my husband our gift certificates and a register receipt (time/date the night before) for funds equal to our points refund. A nice gesture...but, still expectations of vacation enjoyment still ruined!

Overall, the appearance is run down. The electric to each site looked new, but the main electric boxes was an old wooden board with vintage circuits. The water runs to each site in the back through above ground hoses. We saw the very, very small pool; we did not use the restroom or shower, so I can't speak to that. They do charge quite a bit at this KOA compared to many. Probably because of location. . .which we've yet to see.....It appears they are pocketing the profits and not keeping up with any repairs or upgrades. We contacted KOA's home office and stated this KOA does not belong in the KOA family!!

I'd say RUN from this place, unless like I said, you have very low expectations!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mary M M
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

Have stayed at this KOA several times and find it average. Overall a quiet and peaceful stay in bad need of updates and repairs. It needs to offer:s amenities that other KOA's offer in order to be a real success. Office staff need to be friendlier. Another restroom should also be added as it is very inconvenient when the one and only is closed for an hour.

• Stayed: July 2012