“Quiet retreat so close to Lake George”

Hideaway Waterfront Cottages
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lake Luzerne
Philadelphia Suburbs
“Quiet retreat so close to Lake George”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Came for a week's stay in July. My husband had stayed here often as a child and wanted to revisit nearly 30 yrs later to see how it had changed, or not changed. Beautiful secluded spot on Lake Vanare, peaceful and relaxing. We stayed in Cove 1 which had plenty of space for our family of 4. Very clean, had everything we needed. Dock with boats right outside was great. Big porch with great view of the cove, fire pit right by the water to sit and listen to the frogs and crickets at night (and make smores!). Beach isn't huge but big enough for the size of the property. Pete and Kelly and all of the staff are very friendly, helpful and accommodating. Saturday night "weenie roast" was a nice touch and a great way to meet your fellow guests. This place is a retreat from the noise and traffic of Lake George Village--it was great to come back after a day out and about and have such a quiet place to return to. Lots to do so close by but you really feel like you're a world away......

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank char0

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Poestenkill, New York
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Ever just need to get away for a bit? I needed a quick spring getaway to Lake George - didn't want a motel and too cold to camp, so I chose Hideaway Waterfront Cottages on Lake Vanare. Kelly helped me arrange my two night stay and was absolutely friendly and helpful. I rented Cove 2, which is heated and I am thankful for that as the forecast was for nights in the 20's! When I arrived, the owner was super nice, walked me over to the cottage, showed me the gas fireplace was on and heating the place and then he left me to my privacy. I was really impressed at how clean the cottage was. Certainly not the Ritz Carlton, but very warm, comforting and exactly what I wanted. All the essentials were in the cabin such as silverware, coffee maker, pots & pans, dish soap, garbage bags etc. You need to provide your own charcoal for the grill and firewood for campfires. Don't forget a lighter! I started up a campfire, enjoyed the quiet, ate some barbeque but was sadly interrupted by a rain storm. It poured that night,but the cottage was warm and dry.
Next day my son joined me and although much colder, we enjoyed the scenery and peacefulness, had a great grilled meal and relaxed. The cottage has one queen in the main bedroom, a bunk bed with a single up top and a double below and a futon. Bathroom has a shower stall with plenty of hot water. There is a TV with cable and DVD player. The kitchen is equipped with a full size refrigerator, small stove/oven, microwave, large charcoal grill on the porch. Out front are rowboats and a canoe for guests. The location is a quick ride to Lake George. It is not totally private or remote, but a great place for families who want a camping type vacation with the comforts of home.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Jsays1
Philadelphia
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We only heard about this place because of a Living Social deal, and it is one of the best trips that my fiance and I have taken in the time that we have been dating. The location of the cottages is perfect -- they're right on the lake, and each one seems quite secluded and gives its own sense of privacy. We had booked one of the economy cabins, but when we arrived on the first weekend of May, Kelly upgraded us to one of the heated cabins that was unoccupied that weekend. It was great! The kitchen and bedrooms were clean and comfortable, and we got exactly what we wanted--a nice relaxing weekend in a place we'd never been before. I would hands-down recommend this place to anyone who wants to rent a cabin in the Adirondacks. Very close to the village of Lake George, for those who are interested in that. We also hiked up Prospect Mountain.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mary C
Haverstraw, New York
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at The Hideaway Cottages for a few nights in early January. Granted it is the off season up there, but it was so quiet and peaceful...exactly what we were looking for. We stayed in the laefront cabin, and it was beautiful. Very clean, great decor, full kitchen, back deck.....it was awesome. The owners couldn't have been nicer. It was quiet so they gave the option to check in and check out whenever we would like. This is definately someplace we would LOVE to come back to in the summer months:)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Julia M
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed here after getting a good deal from an online coupon site. We stayed at Rockhaven, so that is the only cabin I can be specific about. Rockhaven is right next to the owner's house, but there is a fence of bushes & trees to separate the spaces. It is also connected to another cabin, but each has their own outdoor space. No one was staying in the adjoining cabin so I can't comment on privacy or sound.

Inside, Rockhaven has a den with a TV and gas fireplace, a small kitchen, a bathroom with shower, one bedroom with two beds and another bedroom with bunks. You have to walk through the first bedroom to get to the bunks, so there isn't a lot of privacy for mom and dad. There are plenty of closets and warm blankets. The fireplace in the den is warm, but barely reaches the room with the bunks. Thankfully, they do provide a space heater (though an extension cord would be useful since there aren't many plugs.) Outside there is a fire pit, grill, picnic table, and comfortable chairs. There is free wifi and while it does not reach inside the cabin, you can access it from the outdoor area. So you can relax by the fire while playing on your iPad.

The rest of the complex is nice and would be great for families. There is a covered pavilion with grills, ping pong, volleyball, and toys nearby. There are multiple docks around the waterfront with different kinds of boats tied up that anyone can take out onto the water. And there is a sandy beach area with a roped off safe swimming zone for warmer weather. In the office you can buy charcoal, firewood, guides for nearby activities, etc.

If you get bored at the cabin site, nearby there are lots of things to do. If you hike to the top of Prospect Mountain (an intermediate difficulty - you'll definitely sweat) you'll be rewarded with a great view. There are easier hikes nearby too. Lake George Village is very touristy, but pretty and with lots of family activities like mini-golf, arcades, shopping, ferry rides, batting cages, etc. Nearby Battlefield Park has some historic sites and for a reasonable price you can tour the reconstructed Fort William Henry. If that isn't your speed, Glens Falls has a nice downtown area. Chocolate Mills is a great coffee shop with delicious chocolates and pastries right on the main drag.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank liminalphase42
Manorville, New York
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Me and my husband wanted to get away to the Lake George region for a couple of days to relax and unwind. I picked the hide a way based on the great reviews it got here and I was not disappointed at all. They are dog friendly which was a big plus for us. The cabin we rented (Hill) was cute and quaint and extremely clean. It was fully stocked so that we could do any cooking we needed too. Outside is a nice fire pit with Adirondack chairs and a grill, as well as a picnic table. They had plenty of row boats etc and we kind and accommodating. Overall I would recommend this place to anyone and we will be coming back for sure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elicia F
Upstate, NY
Reviewed August 5, 2012

This review is regarding the cottage "Cove 1". We stayed here July 28-August 4, 2012 for a pet friendly family vacation in the Lake George area. The most friendly owners I have ever encountered. Immediately make you feel welcome. We were late arriving as a tornado had struck us two days before our trip and we needed extra time that Saturday in daylight as we had also been without electricity since the tornado struck. Joe was more than accomodating and very sympathetic to what we all had been through. Saturday's arrival greets you with a cookout hosted by the owner with hot dogs, chips, various salads (potato, coleslaw, etc), and soda. Here you can mingle with other guests which is nice. The cottages are set up very organized and the property is well maintained. Our cottage faced the lake directly. There is a semi-steep walk to this cottage to get to it at the end of the path from your parking spot and nine stairs to get to the deck of the cottage (not bothersome to us but just in case you had a person with you with a disability or the inability to handle stairs...please note there ARE cottages there that are more accomodating if this poses an issue to you or someone in your party). On the deck there is a full bench that runs along the outside, a charcoal grill, and a picnic table. Inside, there is a moderate sized flat screen tv with good selection of channels, dining room table/chairs, a large chair, stove for heat in winter, galley style kitchen with fridge/freezer, electric oven and range, and microwave. Sink/drainer. They supply you with garbage bags, a bottle of dishwashing liquid, a brillow pad. There are dishes, pots/pans, silverware, etc to use but as you would expect from probably years of things being broken/left/etc, we were glad to have brought little essentials like a measuring cup, bowls to marinate food in, paper plates/napkins/paper towels/etc. There is a bathroom with toilet, sink, and stand-up shower only. There are two bedrooms. One with a queen sized bed and the other with a "double" bunk which is a bunk bed with the bottom bed being a full sized bed. Essentially, seven people can stay in this cabin. I will say, the beds are hard. Seven nights of sleeping on them were not kind to my back but it's a cottage, not a Hilton. ;-) Linens are provided for the beds but you bring your own towel/washcloths. There is A/C but this is NOT central air rather an A/C unit in the living room which does a decent job of keeping it cool in there however, the bedrooms can get stifling in the summer heat. There was a small fan in each room you could use but I would recommend if coming here in summer to bring large fans if you have room!!! The cabin was all done inside in the natural wood look and was very well maintained. Probably a couch would be more comfortable than a futon which was harder for some in my party to get off of it was so low and sat back so far but it was a VERY clean, well maintained cabin and we were very pleased. Outside we had our own firepit....and upon looking at the two pits next to us....Cove 1 has a bigger one with a nice view of the lake. There is a dock and usually you'll find a canoe, rowboat, or even a paddleboat at your dock. Basically, it's a first come/first served thing. There are plently of canoes and rowboats but the paddleboat we only saw one and it was coveted! ;-) It was hard to get used to getting out on another deck and then leaving like a canoe and paddling out with a paddleboat but by the end of 7 days we were so used to taking and having others do the same you just get used to it. My husband summed it up well.....the "feel" of the entire place felt like we were at summer camp again. And this was not bad, trust me. The only thing I regret is that there is NO swimming from your docks. This makes sense when you see the rocks and how shallow the lake is. They do have a well maintained beach area that was not far from our cottage but oh how we all missed swimming right in front of you cottage and hearing waves lap in. This lake is VERY small so no boats with motors. They do not stock the lake but there is plently of sunfish which our dog just LOVED to watch. Very pet friendly although take note dogs are NOT allowed on the beach area. There is WiFi but it appears best reception was at pavilion which is kind of the center of everything as I saw everyone out there working on their laptops. Cell service sketchy. We have Verizon and it would work in parts of cabin but fine out in pavilion and that surrounding area. About a 10-15 minute drive into Lake George Village, 25-30 minutes to Saratoga Raceway & Casino. I will say that it really seems like the owner loves his job. I believe he genuinely enjoys meeting people and running the cottages. We did enjoy our stay here but probably would not return for another week, perhaps for an extended weekend. If you are looking for a large lake and being able to swim right off your dock then this is not for you. However, if you are looking for a clean, comfortable, safe, and QUIET vacation and do not mind not being near the "action" of the village, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
#2 of 2 in Lake Luzerne
Scotty's Lakeside Resort
Scotty's Lakeside Resort
#8 of 89 in Lake George

Been to Hideaway Waterfront Cottages? Share your experiences!