“good cabin”

Hideaway Waterfront Cottages
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lake Luzerne
Reviewed July 12, 2011

The #2 cove cottage was clean, with cable TV, great AC and kitchen. We enjoyed having our own dock with row boat and canoe - many fish were caught from the dock. The fire-pit was enjoyed by the family. Well done, worth the price.
- Eric K.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank supersymetry

Reviewed June 15, 2011

We started staying here for a week every summer when my kids were in the lower grades. The pace is relaxing but not boring. Peter, the owner, gets a nice crowd of regulars every summer who appreciates what he offers: Firepits for roasting marshmallows, canoes & rowboats for guests' use, and a roped off beach with a dock for jumping into the lake. The location is close enough for a quick drive to Lake George Village yet far away enough to avoid the bumper-to-bumper summer weekend traffic.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank AnonE-Mous
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We were two couples on touring motorcycles and found 2 nights at the Hidaway perfect for us. We didn't need fancy, we just needed convenient and clean. Our cottage (Pine) was at the end of a row, giving us our own corner by the water. Canoes/kayaks are free to use for quiet paddling on the small lake. Kitchens have basics to get you by, though coffee filters would have been a nice touch- we used napkins from a deli. Bring you own #4 cone filters, your own Kleenex if you have allergies or sniffles.

We would gladly stay again- affordable, clean, and we found the two restaurants within walking distance worth the walk.

Room Tip: Cabins have varying bedding configuations, so ask
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MRVdocent
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Really like the Hide-A-Way, it was small and cozy and close to all the major attractions without the hussle and traffic you get when staying in town. The people couldn't be nicer and the lake was the perfect size for fishing in the row boats!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank dervin23
Reviewed June 26, 2010

My sister -in- law found and made the arrangements for a surprise 50th anniversary celebration for my in-laws. We had been in contact with Peter and Susan for almost 6 months prior to the trip, they were always more than willing to answer questions and help arrange the cabins so that we would all be near.each other, Our group occupiued 7 cabins and each one was perfect for the group staying in it. It was relaxing and we were there for 4 nights and 5 days and I never left with the exception of going to wal-mart for food. That is unheard of for me! I think it is especially nice that they have the canoes, paddle boats, etc as part of the rental fee. We had a great time and highly recommend this location for a small or large group with or without kids. Thanks Peter and Susan and Shelly too. (She arrived the first day of our stay with a bubble machine for my grandson to play with!)

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank memeNewarkOhio
Reviewed May 17, 2010

We just returned from spending 3 nights at Hide-a-Way. We took our soon to be 3 year old son on his first "camping" trip. He had a ball! We stayed in the Bass Cabin (which I believe is identical to the Beach, Bay & Birch). The cabin was extremely clean. I will warn you that "rustic" is a good description....it is very old, but well maintained. We visited just prior to high season so the weather was a little chilly at night. The heaters provided were "ok" but we had brought our own space heater which was a wise idea. The staff were great and so friendly. The playground was nice, although we really didn't use it often because the lake was literally out our door and we enjoyed using the row boats and fishing off the dock. Our little guy caught his first fish using just hotdogs as bait! We loved building our campfire and grilling out. It was relaxing and just a short drive to Lake George Village and the town of Queensbury which offered a mall, movie theater, etc. There is a refrigerator and gas stove provided. The gas stove was a bit tricky to operate but we got the hang of it. The refrigerator keeps things cold, although I wouldn't suggest using the freezer. I wouldn't trust it to keep things frozen.

Cons: Unfortunately there were some unruly campers there that kept us up all night on two of the three nights. There is a 10pm "quiet time" listed on the paper we were given at check in but it was not respected. With the owners living so close to the site I'm not sure how they were unable to hear the noise. Those people were not traveling with children and really didn't respect the rest of the campers who were. They left alcohol and trash laying around and let their dog run wild without a leash. (including at night when the dog would sit outside and howl). I can see where this place would feel a little crowded in the high season, but if you're going with a group & renting multiple cabins it would be perfect! Also, the beds were probably the most uncomfortable I've ever slept on. And they were so noisy that every roll and adjustment made a ton of noise. We considered leaving a day early due to the beds. My husband slept in an upright wooden chair for part of the night and we thought about sleeping in our car as well. We're not picky people...the beds were just pretty bad in our cabin.
Also, I would consider bringing your own pots and pans....or at least one of each. They did provide kitchen stuff, but the pots and pans were pretty worn out and old....and I burned tons of food trying to use them. Bring PAM spray or your own non-stick pans. Also, a citronella candle would be good all year round. I thought the weather being cooler would result in less bugs...WRONG.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Lindsey46
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We went to hideaway cottages after the long weekend. There was almost noone else there so it felt like we had the whole place to ourselves (already off season). For the first night we stayed at one of the small cottages -the Bay. This cottage could definetely use some updating but the location is spectacular-right on the lake. The heater was sufficient for the night but it took a while to warm up. For the rest of our stay we moved to the beautiful renovated one bedroom house Lakefront with jacuzzi and a huge living room. We loved it there! my only suggestion would be to add a dresser of some sort /closet space because there was no space to put our clothes away. It would also be nice if towels were provided.
The place is a true "hide away" even though you can hear the road a little bit-you can't really see it and I was able to go for a quiet walk with my stroller on the private road with no cars. The small beach is also very nice. The lake is small enough to paddle in a very short time. I was able to go out on a canoe and I enjoyed it a lot.
We are definetely considering going back next year.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Luzerne
The Elms Waterfront Cottages
The Elms Waterfront Cottages
#1 of 7 in Lake Luzerne
Holiday Inn Resort Lake George
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake George (Queensbury)
Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center
The Lodges at Cresthaven
The Lodges at Cresthaven
#16 of 89 in Lake George
Luzerne Court
Luzerne Court
#2 of 2 in Lake Luzerne

Been to Hideaway Waterfront Cottages? Share your experiences!