“Great holiday, fantastic place, lovely hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gambia Coral Beach Hotel & Spa

Gambia Coral Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Serekunda
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great holiday, fantastic place, lovely hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

We spent 11 nights at the Sheraton Gambia for my 40th birthday and would happily return. We loved the Gambia and the Gambian people. The hotel staff were fantastic - a real credit to the place. Everyone was very friendly and helpful from the pool guys (superb) to the waiting and bar staff. The room was great and when there were problems with the hot water supply we were able to use the showers at the spa. We never felt that we were on top of other guests even when the hotel was busy. The food was great and the chef was frequently seen in the restaurants. Freshly made omelettes, fresh juice, fresh pancakes and waffles - lots of good stuff (and that was just breakfast!). Spa treatments were good and not too expensive. A few things are bit rough around the edges but just add to the charm of this hotel in my opinion. Would recommend a walk along the beach to the fishing village and also the Taste of Kombo trip which was good value for money.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
SheratonGambia, Director of Public Relations at Gambia Coral Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Dear Lucylock,

Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel. It is always refreshing to get positive feedback that we are on the right track. Our associates are particularly pleased to have contributed to making you stay a memorable one. This goes a long way in motivating and inspiring them to continue to offer the great services and expected of our 5-Star brand.

We look forward to seeing you soon at Sheraton Gambia.

Yours sincerely,

Director of Public Relations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2011

Well, where do I start.? Firstly a message to the management and staff of the Sheraton Gambia. A massive thank you from all 8 of us who travelled together including Shirley "two bottles" for a great stay made all the more enjoyable by the friendly smiling faces that greeted us wherever we went in the resort. Yes, I'm sure the odd time there may be other motives behind the friendliness but the overwhelming feeling is one of genuine gratitude that we have chosen their country to visit which at times is quite humbling.
The hotel could be improved in a couple of areas, namely extending the all inclusive deal until leaving time on the last day, and a bit more night time entertainment, but this doesn't detract from the overall positive experience.
Like most buffet style hotels, the food could get repetitive if there for two weeks but the quality was better than we expected beforehand.
Some of us had minor problems with the rooms but these were not really an issue and generally the rooms were spacious, comfortable, and of a good quality, and we were all in the basic rooms on the reception level.
Each of the 4 couples were celebrating a special occasion this year and we had a 50th birthday on our first day. Needless to say, almost all of the all inclusive drinks were sampled during our stay and the quality and strength were surprisingly good, including the wine. I wont mention his name for fear of getting him in trouble, but the look on the face of the beach barman when he gives you the best part of a pint of G&T in the plastic cups is priceless.
We walked to Brufut fishing village which takes about 25 mins to the left along the beach and by the time we arrived we had attracted at least at least one "Gambian Friend" each. and it is well worth the effort.
We explored a couple of half days using the green taxis on the hotel car park and can recommend "yeah man" Moses who is probably now recognizable wearing my PNE cap and england shirt that I gave him when we left. He even rang me up at home in the UK to thank me for it, although I think he may have inadvertently pressed the wrong number on his phone whilst ringing his brother!!
We ventured into the Senegambia area a few nights in the week, which is recommended as its only 5-10mins by cheap taxi and is an experience in itself. We would recommend Scala which was a bit colonial style inside and very good reasonably priced food. Again, Moses was happy to take us and wait and even joined in a bit of reggae dancing at Ali Baba's a couple of times.
I have used trip advisor extensively in the past and respect all views expressed, yet this is the first time I felt compelled to write a report to offset some of the negative reviews that have appeared against this hotel. Obviously if someone has had illness or genuinely serious issues with their rooms then that is unfortunate to say the least. To complain about the food, bar waiting time, rating and the level of service provided by this hotel, however, can only reflect a level of expectation and respect that belongs somewhere beyond the African shores.
To those who have booked, or are thinking of booking the Sheraton, you have chosen Africa as your holiday destination. Embrace that fact and bring with you an expectation for genuine hospitality, respect for the Gambian people and culture, and you too will take home some of the great memories that we have from our weeks stay.
Thank you again to the staff of the Sheraton, you are too many to mention individually, and keep smiling.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank HolidaysRus18
Dear Happy guest,

We are grateful for your positive review of Sheraton Gambia. Our associates all agree that you have also left us some positive memories to remember you by.

We have noted your comments and observations and will take relevant measures to ensure improvement of services in future.

Do come back and stay with us soonest.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

Don't let the negative reviews put you off! I was completely blown away by the Sheraton Gambia Yes there are 1 or 2 tiny niggles, like no fridge in room and All Inclusive ending at noon on day of departure but other than that, this hotel was lovely. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone. The room was fantastic, very comfortable large bed, lovely see view, and spacious. Enjoyed the food, maybe a further restaurant would help for variation but overall a very relaxing holiday, fab weather and lovely, lovely people.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gosforthgirls
Dear Gosforth,

We are happy to note that you had a great stay at Sheraton Gambia. Our associates work hard to ensure that guests experience a memorable stay at our hotel.

Thank you for recommending our hotel and associates on this forum. We look forward to seeing you again.

lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

Just back from a 7 night stay,food and drink great and the service brilliant.All staff friendly and helpful.Rooms large and beds comfortable,no fridge in ours but who cares,plenty cold drinks served at the bar.Would recommend getting out and about in one of the green taxis available at the hotel (an experience not to be missed).
Suberb holiday. No negatives All positive

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank mister-t-49
Dear Mr. T,

We would also love to see you again at Sheraton Gambia. Our associates remember you well and are looking forward to that. Your kind words and quick smiles were very encouraging and aby the end of the week we felt very much as if you were very much part of the Sheraton Gambia family.

We hope to see you soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

we have just returned from our week at the sheraton and needed to express our thanks ! This is a lovely hotel friendly and helpful staff nothing is too much trouble special thanks to our breakfast an lunch guy basiru bass and our evening guy mulai drammeh who our holiday so special we miss them already ! But the staff are fantastic and now the food all i can say is well done it is wonderful lots of choice and full of flavour and always happy to go that extra mile for anything that you might want extra . The room was lovely large shower kettle tea coffee iron and board fridge anything you need was there. Pool guys great got you beds matress towels and umbrella table every morning where ever you wanted to sit. We loved every minute its windy at night and the pool is cool but we went in the pool several times a day and believe me its lovely . If i have to find one area to improve i would say not to finish the all inclusive at 12 on your day of departure but apart from that thank you thank you thank you perfect ! We stayed in room 6011 from the 12th of march and will be back a week is not long enough please visit the local schools you can get a taxi from reception they are so greatful for pens books anything and they are lovely kids so if you have booked this hotel look forward to it and i wish we were still there

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank astridges
Harlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

I had to write a review of our holiday to the sheraton, as we were very apprehensive about our stay given all the bad reviews it has received over the last few months. Most of which i feel are unjustified. We had a wonderfull room just down from the presidential suite (a free upgrade from management which was very much appreciated thankyou) A fridge that worked, air con that worked, and a back door that locked. Beautifull views over the atlantic ocean, infact a trully beautifull location, fantastic beach plenty of sun beds, very helpfull staff, if you do encounter a problem, you only need to ask and it is sorted out. Food was fine much you normally have at most hotels. Diet coke is included in the all inclusive package, only international drinks are not. But the local brands are just as good if not better. We met some lovely people whom we have kept in touch with,. We would deffinately return to the sheraton. If you want a truly relaxing beach and sun holiday this is the place to go. If you visit the schools pens and pencils are greatly received. the only tip is not to give to children outside the schools as we did, because we were told after that this does not encourage them to attend school, as at the moment they are trying to get all the children to go to school.

3 Thank pat271964
newcastle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

I'll not be staying at another Sheraton Hotel. I copy, below, my letter of complaint to my travel agent, Gambia Experience. If they wish to publish their reply to me, I gladly release them from any confidentiality restrictions.
Dear ************,
Thank you for your letter dated 14 February 2011, in which you apologise for the delayed return flight. I regret to inform you, however, that the flight delay was as nothing compared to the inadequacy of the accommodation provided on the holiday, namely Room 4023 of the Sheraton Hotel, Gambia.
The reasoning for requesting The Sheraton was simple. My partner, a sun worshipper, would be able to lie on the beach under a tropical sun, and swim in warm waters. Meanwhile I, not a sun worshipper, would be able to sit in a nearby air-conditioned room, sipping cold drinks, watching television. I thought I'd made a low risk choice of hotel, but sadly not. My partner tells me that Mother Nature provided for all her needs, but regrettably The Sheraton failed to meet mine.
Cold Drinks:
The cupboard, where I expected to find the refrigerator was empty. I later discovered from another guest that he'd been informed, a week before departure, that all refrigerators had been removed from rooms because of operational problems. I did not find the walk to the bar for cold drinks an acceptable alternative.
Air Conditioning:
A trip switch in the control box outside my room caused the air-conditioning to shut down. A member of the maintenance staff then had to attend to reset the switch. However, he was not always readily available to reset the switch e.g. overnight. He told me that there was no apparent reason for the tripping; apparently "it just happens". I did not find the electric fan provided an acceptable alternative.
Television:
On our arrival on the Saturday afternoon, the TV was inoperable. It took repeated complaints to convince the staff that I really did want to watch television, and after sitting in my room watching a series of television sets being brought in from "unserviceable rooms", set number five was eventually working by Sunday evening. Later that night, however, it went off, because of problems with the cable TV system supplying the room. This problem persisted throughout the week, so that there was not one day when I did not need to report that the TV was not working, even when, as advised, I kept the set operating overnight. I did not find the offer to sit in reception, watching the TV set there, an acceptable alternative.
Water:
A letter was pushed under my door apologising for "water supply difficulties" and advising that I would experience intermittent cuts. I read this letter while watching extensive lawns being irrigated by the hotel sprinkler system. I did not find the extra bottles of water provided an acceptable alternative to a running water supply to the sink and toilet cistern.
Room Change:
As you would expect, by day two I had requested a room change. On day three, through The Gambia Experience representative, I was promised by a senior manager that I would be put to the top of the priority list for a room change. The room change never happened. Indeed, I learned from junior hotel staff that the promise was empty, as the hotel was heavily overbooked, no doubt in part due to the number of "unserviceable rooms".
Tour Company Representative:
The Gambia Experience representative told me that I should make allowances for the fact that TV sets had to be sent to Senegal for repair, and that refrigerators had to come all the way from Canada and could not be delivered in small batches. That wasn't the response I'd hoped for.
I have, of course, kept a log of my complaints to the hotel, and look forward to your reply.
Yours faithfully,
Ralph King.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank rakNewcastle

Travelers are raving about these Serekunda hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Serekunda
Senegambia Beach Hotel
#4 of 7 in Kotu
Kololi Beach Club
Kololi Beach Club
#2 of 8 in Kololi

Been to Gambia Coral Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!