“Sarges re-visited with added improvements :-)”
Review of Sarges Hotel

Sarges Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Serekunda
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Sarges re-visited with added improvements :-)”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This was my second visit to this Hotel and I still stand by my original 2012 review. This Hotel is ideally situated being close to the “strip” and a quick exit out the back gate neatly takes through either the Kairaba or Senegambia Hotels to the beach.

Sarges has a basic problem with hot water because it uses electric boilers to heat the water and relies on some member of staff to “flick” the switches and this does not always happen but as it says on the card in your room “if you have no hot water then please ring reception” So please don’t “ moan” to other tourists that you don’t have hot water……….just ask and eventually your problem will be sorted out, yes it may take time as this is Africa but the staff do go out of their way to oblige all requests.

On the subject of staff I find Sarges to one of the most friendly hotels I have stayed in with the staff being warm and friendly and honest which for me makes my holiday just that little bit more personal.

What’s new for 2013? Well the breakfast certainly has been upgraded and more of an experience with scrambled eggs,beans,small sausages along with toast,cheese,ham and orange juice and the usual tea and coffee so trust me you will survive :-)

WiFi has been added but is “flaky” to say the least. To be fair all the places I tried had the same problem and it is down to the Internet provider, even the Senegambia proved to be the most unreliable. A tip for all you people with “smart phones” who must check out their gold prices/stock and shares/Facebook /Twitter or just simple emals the then the Kairaba reception area proved rock solid on all occasions I tried it.

The swimming pool has also had a makeover for this year and it is kept spotlessly clean by the staff who pool clean every morning to a high standard. To compare Sarges pool I suggest you look at the Kairaba hotel pool which as last year still has a 6 inch wide film of scum around its edges.

I stayed in E Block and had good quality of sleep and the room was kept clean to a good standard and whilst being close to reception no noise was heard from the “Strip” albeit I was on the ground floor so I am unable to say what it might be like one or two floors up?

To sum up. Sarges is a very good 2 star African hotel with a warm and friendly atmosphere in a location that is suitable for people with walking difficulties who wish to be near to everything. Will I go back? Yes in a flash :-) From the owner down to the most junior of staff you get that family feeling. They really do care about you holiday.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank Katzzo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2013

a good base in centre of kololi room cleaned to a good standard every day ,plenty of hot water all staff helpful and pleasant a good value hotel.i used a local taxi driver named prince charles he is polite reliable his fares are cheap anything you need he will organise for you ask for charles at the taxis opposite ali baba tell him alan sent you ive known him for 7 years never had any problems or complaints .a tip for any first time travellers dont tell anyone you havent been before the bumsters will try to con you working locals earn about £1 aday so a 10dalasi tip is ok a good tip 25dalasi <50 pence> hope you find this helpful

7 Thank sandysid
whittlesey
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Just got back from another trip and I ve stopped at Sarges 5 times now, it is getting better with time. The rooms- I was in B block have had the boilers taken out and new showers with hidden pipework so it is better and seems to be more likely to be hot when you need it, the breakfast is also better but it is all still Africa and "entry level" , the rooms are cleaned daily,towels and linen every 2-3 days and it is a cheap and cheerful place with friendly staff,good security and a great location.
It frustrates me that people write stuff on here about how shoddy it is when they HAD to be put somewhere after a flight cancellation as it was nt as good as what they paid for, well if you want plusher, pay up and go to the Senegambia or Karaiba, the breakfasts there are a running buffet of warm stuff and fresh fruit (Sarges has not fruit or juices in its offering,but it is fresh and clean and re stocked regularly).
As regards it being a knocking shop full of Jimmy Savilles, I m 49 and was probably the youngest there...I spoke to a lot of regular visitors who go out 2-3x a year and prefer Sarges for its location over all else, it is mostly couples and older ladies getting some winter sun
One downgrade was I slipped on the tiles near the pool, the ramp is of the same tiles rather than non slip ones and I bloodied and bruised 2 toes as a result but could have easily cracked my head open as i went head over apex, I mentioned it to the staff and 4 days later nothing was done, they d mentioned it to the handyman.. and if you know Gambia it will still be there next year.
A tip- don t use the exchange place that is 2 doors down from the front of Sarges, you see it as it has a 6'8'' guy promoting it, they are robbers,they used classic distraction technique on me to short change me by 200d, they were all in on it, asking if i d ever been to USA etc and then when I started counting the money back in front f them the cashier said, 'Its gambian money ,maan', like a plank, I took it at face value, walked off then, thought about it, counted it fully,foound I d been done, went back thinking I ve messed up here,thought that the best way is to front them up so I did, i told him he d done me, he said "how much do you want", I told him, he counted out a new lot in front of me and just asked for the other lot back!
Meals- La Scala was excellent, the Danish lady who runs it is out front in her whites and checks everyone and the staff and it is a good standard from the linens,service and of course the food,I paid £16 for a lovely salad starter,steak and 2 beers, Al Basha is as good as ever if you like Meze,but my favourite was the Jewel of India, under new management and the chef is great,I ate there twice and both meals were lovely
Overall, it s nice to be nice maaan, never had a bad holiday and I never will!

Room Tip: B block faces the pool and you get less npoise from the Mosque!
2 Thank 321964
UK
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Just back from a 10 night stay at Sarges. I was a bit worried by all the negative postings i read on here, but because of the cheap price, and that it was only going to be a base for me to explore, i took the chance, and can say i am glad i did. Staff were all polite, the pool was cleaned every day, as was my room. My room maid was very helpful,(Fatou), and also did all my washing and ironing the day before i left, which as a solo traveler was a bonus to arrive home with no washing to do! Breakfast as mentioned previously, is basic, Cornflakes or local Porridge, Pancakes, Scrambled egg, Sausages and Baked Beans, Toast and Jam, Tea, Coffee or Juice... Help yourself to as much as you want! There was no onsite entertainment while i was there, but it is not needed, as this Hotel is literally steps away from the strip where all the restaurants and night entertainment are situated. As previously mentioned, i did use a safe, and you can carry them, but would never get them past the security posted at the front and back exits of the Hotel. Residents can pay for a guest overnight, but as previously mentioned, i saw no underage Children, only 20-30yr old locals (Male and Females), and there were only a handful that i saw, so this is not rampant! All the Hotels in this area allow overnight Guests at a price, so this is not attributed to Sarges alone, but is commonplace in the area. All in all, this is not advertised as a 5 star, and doesn't pretend to be, but it was certainly good enough for me, and as i was on a tight budget, appreciated i could eat as much as i wanted in the mornings, and then i ate local in the afternoons at a fraction of the prices in the restaurants. Wifi is free all over the Hotel, but strength was erratic, and never better than poor. I made friends with two people on my landing.. A shout out to Alan and Ali, who both were independent travelers with no complaints either! I would happily use this Hotel again if the price was cheap!

Room Tip: Previous reviews suggest certain blocks to avoid noise at night, i did not experience any problem. I...
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 16, 2013

The hotel is great location wise, just a short walk to the beach through one of the two resorts that are connected through the rear exit, the pool is small but clean, saw someone cleaning it atleast once a day.
Safe and airconditioning are available for a surplus. Safe was indeed not fixed which is kinda odd, but there was always staff at the rear and front gate making sure no locals would just walk in.
Was there between christmas and new years and didnt need the airconditioning as it cooled off quite nicely at night. If you do want it however the price is quite high for it.
Staff were all very friendly as far as I interacted with them. It is indeed possible to bring overnight guests for a fee at the front desk. But can't say I've seen people with underaged locals.

Breakfast is very simple with pancakes, bread, sausages, beans and scrambled eggs.

other then that its great value for money, and if you'd really like a proper breakfast there is plenty of options just outside the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Rick H
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I had previously booked this hotel for a family of four and re-booked after reading such awful reviews. I know I didn't stay there but I did visit out of curiosity as it was near to my Hotel. I visited 2013 Jan. It is very basic, but the rooms are clean and well presented, with plasma screen and kettle. The pool did not have a film around the edge as previously described by another person (apeared very clean) nor were the staff unfriendly. Be realistic it is only 3 star and people should not expect the earth. And it is Africa!!!. If you want luxury stay at a 5 star Hotel and pay the extra. The grounds are however small and compact with the rooms overlooking the fairly small outside pool. I think people need to be less brutal on this Hotel . Ha no i'm not on comission!!!. It is hard as we use trip advisor for guidence and we tend to trust reveiws. I took the opportunity to see this Hotel as it was made to seem like a shack!! However I was very pleasantly suprised by the overall look. Maybe it's had improvements!! I can be a complete fussy person but after being in Africa it's best not to expect too much and realise it is a third world country. We are totally spoilt.... Hope this helps if you are undecided.

Room Tip: Small Hotel with no grounds - on main strip. Lovely resteraunt next door Sarla quality food and gre...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank tracie d
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We chose to stay at Sarge's beacuse of its location and cost but we were first greeted by very rude frontdesk staff and had to demand for the manager who was better. The room and bathroom were average but not so clean. The safe didn't work so we had to carry all our money around as we didn't want to be attended to by any rude staff if we asked for the safe to be changed. The swimming pool was very small but beautiful birds often lounged around it, making it prettier. The location was excellent- right on the Senegambia strip and there was access to all that we needed.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Serekunda
Senegambia Beach Hotel
Sunset Beach Hotel
Hotel Palm Beach
Hotel Palm Beach
#4 of 6 in Kotu

Been to Sarges Hotel? Share your experiences!