“what a lovely hotel!”

Senegambia Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Serekunda
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Myself and my partner went to the Senegambia between the 21st-27th April, flying into Banjul.

Firstly - ensure you take your own bags to the coach! The bumsters will try to do it for you and then expect payment to walk 100 yards!

First impressions of the hotel are very impressive, very clean and cool in the foyer / lobby and a quick check in. We had a room in 'O' block on the first floor, probably (for us) the best of both worlds. It was equidistant from the beach/pool and the reception and no persons were walking past our room at all. The rooms are basic but very clean and tidy. shower is great and the air-con is fierce!

The pool area is superb however be warned! The edges of the pool are tiled and sharp. Both of us suffered with little cuts on our fingertips and toes - nothing more serious than papercuts but annoying nonetheless. Food at the beach bar is good and the banana smoothie is fantastic!

You can allow everything to be charged to the room and then clear your balance at reception every so often. This does work, but you can suddenly owe quite a bit. However if you pay cash at the bar, don't expect the full change... the staff will take a portion of your change as their tip - it only works out to 20-30pence but naughty!

The food at breakfast is pretty ok although for tea and coffee the milk is provided hot!

Don't bother eating at the hotel for the evening meal, go out onto the strip. It will be cheaper and much nicer! Best restaurants we found were the African Queen and the one next to it on the right. Oasis was also very nice! The one to avoid however is the Lebanese restaurant which is opposite the hotel restaurant. The food was just not good and everything came with chips.......
Definitely try the local dishes; domuda and benchin. Both are gorgeous!

We did do a couple of trips and they were well worth doing. The 'lazy day' on the boat on the Gambian river was fantastic and the off-roading was good fun - be warned again however that the staff will want tipping and will try to overcharge you drinks etc to get your money. Just ensure you know what you have spent in order to keep your pennies with you!

The staff at the hotel were absolutely superb and could not do enough to help, the gardens at the hotel are amazing and the wildlife incredible. You must see the vulture feeding - it is nuts to see 40+ vultures vying for scraps of chicken.

The only thing that is poor is Senegambia's own beach. It has suffered with severe erosion and as a result is just plain ugly. Walk 20 minutes left from Senegambia's beach however and the beach is fantastic, open, empty and easy to go for a lovely swim in a very warm North Atlantic!

All in all a wonderful hotel and we would recommend it to anyone want to go for a memorable holiday! Just avoid the bumsters (they are all friendly just a little annoying)

Would we go again? Yes.

Room Tip: 'O' block was good and first floor was superb! no traffic and an equal distant between the m...
6  Thank Lister9995

Reviewed May 5, 2014

This was my first visit to The Gambia and really had no idea what to expect. Have backpacked in Kenya & Tanzania & assumed this would've been a typical package holiday resort! Was pleasantly surprised.
To start with the hotel was amazing value for money. Clean, large room with everything you could need~not luxurious but perfect for what we needed. Fantastic grounds, 2 excellent pools, nice bars and a great breakfast choice. All the staff were very friendly and helpful.
Situation of hotel was perfect, walking distance from all bars and a vast array of restaurants. Def try Scala for Sunday buffet, Green Mamba and Lebanese by the hotel.
It's definitely worth getting out & about but I'd advise you use a local driver, we used David just at the car park across the strip. It's much cheaper you are bound to have more of an adventure! We did James Island, a school, orphanage, Serekunda Market, local village and monkey park by the hotel. All were worth doing.
This was my first visit to The Gambia but I won't hesitate to return and will definitely stay at Senegambia again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2014

The Senegambia Beach Hotel has become our second hom whilst here in The Gambia. As we live in a rural community we sometimes need a bit of "western" style life to keep us sane. This wouldn't be to everyone's taste but we need it every now and again. The hotel is set at the end of the Senegambia strip, which is like "strips" anywhere, full of bars, restaurants, and exchange offices. That said, the Gambian version is only a few hundred meters long and not half as rowdy as most "strips" in Europe. Again this is not for everyone but take it with a pinch of salt and you can enjoy the Senegambia Beach Hotel.
The hotel is set in extensive grounds that are alive with fascinating wildlife, especially a wide variety of birds, including vultures, and a small troop of monkeys. Despite being on the strip, the hotel is quiet and peaceful, all the partying takes place well away from the hotel. Rooms are clean and functional with AC. Pay a little more and you can get one of the new rooms which are more comfortable and better furnished. We like the fact that there are two large pools some distance from each other, one by the beach for those wanting a lively time, and a much quieter one closer to reception for those after some peace - this is the one we like.
Staff are friendly and responsive to the needs of their guests. The only downside, and hence the 4 rather than 5 stars, is because it is such a large hotel, organisation can be somewhat erratic. We have found on several occasions that we have been allocated the wrong room, or a room that was not yet ready for us. To be fair staff have usually been quick to sort these problems out. The other minor downside is the breakfast, which is buffet style with plenty of choice, but the quality reflects the nature of mass catering. Adequate but nothing special.
The Senegambia Beach Hotel is a good option for a holiday base as it has good quality facilities and is reasonably priced. However, I would recommend combining a stay here with somewhere else in a more rural setting. Simply staying "on strip" will not give you a true flavour of this wonderful country.

1  Thank Mr_MYork_UK
Reviewed May 2, 2014

First time in The Ganbia I went to this hotel, together with my wife, I must say, they really do their utmost to make your vacation memorable.
We stayed at the hotel with only bed & breakfast which was more than OK.
It's rooms are stretched out in the big green garden devided over several building blocks.
Whe where all the way at the top of the hill, near the main building/enterance of the hotel.
For lunch, you have snacks etc in the hotel and some venues around the hotel.
For dinner I can recommend African Queen on the Senegambia road not to far from the hotel.(walking distance)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Firstly I need to say I'm not a 5star Hilton kind of person so this is all you need to know through my eyes. First of all deal with the medical stuff....yellow fever a must! It can be in short supply and costs approx 65-80 for the injection. It took me months to find some. Secondly malaria tablets, again about the same cost again. Ok now to the real questions I had before I went.....

The Senegambia beach hotel is perfectly located at the end of the strip where you will find bars, restaurants and clubs but don't worry the clubs are at the opposite end of the strip so it's very peaceful in and around the hotel! We stayed in kaloli 1 (deluxe apart). 2 rooms (approx12x20 ft each) bathroom in the middle. Each room had a large flat screen, separate a/c and in the middle was a walk in wet room ( shower only). Breakfast was fine.....plenty of breads, preserves, coffee and teas. Sausages, bacon, omelettes, pan cakes, waffles etc available on alternate days. I didn't go there for a full fry up!!!! Lol. Green velvet and colobus Monkeys in the grounds that are friendly and can be hand fed monkey nuts funny enough. Monitor lizards, vultures, black kites just a few of the other wild life wondering about. The Vice President had a garden party here.....it will be a 5 star next year. Don't go all inclusive though.
Money....we went in April 2014 and the exchange rate was £1 to 65 delasi. A beer will cost 40-60 delasi a bottle on the strip (Jul brew tastes like peroni) and double in the hotel. Lunch....Chico chicken 6 wings with a sauce and chips 130 delasi. Lovely 2 chicken skewer kebab with flat bread 180 delasi at little Havana ( our favourite place to have lunch and spend 1-3pm) get the picture? It's cheap!!!!!!! Two restaurants you must look up on day 1.......Scala and Kori. Both serve exceptional food and offer a very friendly atmosphere. We spent 1 week wondering about before being pointing in their direction as their not easy to see......but by heck are they good. Come out of the Senegambia hotel and walk straight up the strip to the taxi garage on the right after which is a road. Walk down that road about 100 metres past Wild Monkey and they are opposite each other. Kori has a good pool table away from the dining area. At the end of the road is the monkey park.
Trips......we did our own. Go to the taxi rank and ask for Ensa Saidy or Aladin ( tell them mit recommended them as this seemed to give our friends better rates?) They can take you on 95% of the trips for half the cost and all importantly on your time sclae. Spend as much time wherever you like. You hire them for a half day or full day.....that's for the car, fuel and their guide skills. They are good! King tiger prawns (10 inches long approx) 3 butterflied open for a bout £11 at Olivia's....right outside the hotel on the right.
I've travelled the world and rarely do I get drawn to going back to the same place twice but.......I'm planning to go again very soon.

P.s they get paid about 500 delasi a week......so tipping is essential ( if you want to be looked after?) I never once struggled to get a table on the balcony at Scala .....even though a lot of penny pinchers seemed to. As a rule 10% in the restaurants and in the bars see how you feel when you get your bill. I must admit i would tend to leave about 300-400 in my two favourite fooderies! Only to find out my partner had done the same.....lol 2 adults 2 boys (10&12) I spent £800 incl trips over 14 days.

Room Tip: Deluxe apartments.....a must.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Sally W
Reviewed May 1, 2014

My partner and I stayed here in April for 1 week upon arriving at the front desk the staff were helpful and polite, before I travel I request a room without twin bed by email to the front desk manager and when I arrived I was given a room with a queen size bed the room was clean and fresh and very cosy, we stayed on the G block G23 our house keeper clean the room every day. The workers on the hotel ground is very polite not to mention the pool attendant at the rear pool as u arrive they offer u a sun bed and cushion without delay. We stay on bed & breakfast basic the breakfast selection is great but it's really cheap to eat out it cost less than £10 for my partner and I to eat out and I highly recommend you eat at the restaurant called Chilli's located outside the hotel 2 minutes walk. As for the night life it's nice loads of bars and clubs for u to enjoy only walking distance from the hotel, also the hotel got its own beach and monkeys living in the trees they also got bird watching, for those who are planing to go there please go and get your own experience. Senegambia beach hotel make my first trip to Africa The Gambia a success, I am returning for Xmas god spare my life. To the staff stay polite and take care from the couple who stayed in room G 23 from April 14 to April 21 (smile)

Room Tip: G block was quite don't worry about a/c making noise they come ASAP to fix it G block was near t...
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel before a couple of years ago but in November time.
This year we went in April. The hotel is set in sprawling mature gardens and excellent for birdlife. The hotel is convenient for the town and bars/restaurants too.
We stayed on a B&B basis and the breakfast has a good selection of hot and cold food and a small offering of local food too. When choosing an outside table beware of the thieving Egrets who sit and wait for an opportunity to steal your breakfast and fly off. :o)
The rooms are kept clean but some accommodation is in need of updating. They are currently building new blocks.
You have a choice of two pools, one near the beach which has its own restaurant and bar and then there is a quiet pool up near the main building again with its own bar which serves food.
All staff are very friendly and helpful.
We also enjoyed the facility of the spa on site which proved to be well worth the money.
We like birdwatching and this hotel has a bird guide on site. Modu, senior bird guide is very good and offers excellent trips in the area to ensure you see a good variety of birds. Certainly recommend his trips.
There are a number of restaurants/bars to choose from within the small town and all food we found to be good and tasty.
Overall a very good weeks holiday.

Room Tip: We were allocated H23 which is situation on the upper floor and overlooked a green area. Very handy...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Serekunda
Kairaba Beach Hotel
Kololi Beach Resort
#2 of 9 in Kololi
Sunset Beach Hotel
Ocean Bay Hotel & Resort

Been to Senegambia Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!