Senegambia Beach Hotel
HotelQuickly
Sarges Hotel(Kololi)
  • Restaurant
1,360 results
All reviewsvulture feedingquiet poolair conafrican queengreen mambarefurbished roomarch toursswim up barthomas cooksenegambia beachrooms are basictennis courtsmonitor lizardssmall fridgetravel kettlepizza restaurantexchange rate
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

This was my first visit to Africa and The Gambia is probably an ideal introduction. The hotel is three star but many unusual features to enhance your holiday. Monkeys are living in the trees and there are many species of birds to see they also feed vultures each day and tourist cone with guides from other hotel to watch this. The hotel is practically on the beach however the beach either side of the hotel is much nicer looking.
Remember to tip the staff at the end if your stay as people are on very low wages and your tips are vital for the rainy season when no tourist visit. Give British paper money or Gambian Delassi.
Eating out: we did not have a bad meal we ate fish and sea food which is fresh from the sea and sold in abundance. We ate at African Queen, lovely food great atmosphere. The Bad Rock cafe where much football was watched with the locals , same at Club One. The Monkey bar has great food and we saw good African dance and music there too. The man at 2 Rays sorted out our SIM card at the market whilst we ate. Everyone is very helpful.
Trips: we went with Bushwacker Tours on the lazy days boat trip along the Mangroves which was my favourite day of the holiday. Having a guide also helped in adjusting to The Gambia as I had until then been in a bit of culture shock . Zach our guide was extremely knowledgable about the birds seen on the trip and we were provided with delicious food and helpful crew. We fished and swam in the river. We heard from other holiday makers who used other companies also had a good time so take a tour. Most tourist use local guides and and we found our trip to market and paradise beach with local taxi very helpful. Costs are very reasonable, negotiate before you get into the taxi the price which includes return journey.
Buying and haggling: this caused me the most grief. We were there at the end of the season and people really want you to buy there stuff. They say its free to look around but you need to be pretty firm to look and not buy. Once you have decided what you would like decide on a fair price you are happy to pay and go with that. You probably pay more than a local would but people have worked hard making a living. Other people asking for change you can't give to everyone I decided if giving change I have it to people with a disability as there is no welfare state.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and resort but get out and about to really enjoy your stay as everyday is an experience.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank holidaysharon
Reviewed April 26, 2014

This was our first trip to The Gambia. We are definitely planning a return trip. We chose The Senegambia because of the large grounds and the bird life. Our room was one of the older type - top floor and absolutely fine. The only drawback was the people below who persistently smoked in their bathroom - the smoke came straight out of our extractor every time we went into the bathroom. We reported it twice but with no effect.
Apart from this it would be hard to find fault with the hotel. The food was good, the pool by the beach was great, the staff were excellent.
If you like birds, take the bird walk is a must. The monkeys are fun too, and the vultures are...Vultures!
Our rep Jatta was also helpful in recommending trips. South Gambia was superb!

Room Tip: Rooms nearer the beach are quieter. Top floor is quietest, apart from our experience with illegal smoking (see above).
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank banham-canary
Reviewed April 26, 2014

We have stayed in the Senegambia beach hotel on many occasions but on this occasion we were unable to get the rooms for the dates we required. We took our sponsor family to the pool for the day paying for this. Our eldest sponsor child aged 4 hurt his finger whilst playing in the pool he was screaming very loudly, no staff member came to enquire why he was screaming. We took him to the nurse within the hotel, she told us she had nothing to help him even although he was still screaming in pain. She was extremely unhelpful. We left the hotel and went to the local pharmacy who assisted us and stopped the wee boys pain.
The following day whilst visiting the hotel again we observed a young white boy hurt his foot in the pool, this time there was no shortage of first aiders running to the boy and his family to assist in every way they could.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank jayg98
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Me and my husband stayed at the senegambia beach hotel for the first time this year, from start to finish we were treated like royalty, the room was kept spotless by our room attendant Lamin, the pool guys and beach guys were very attentive and we didn't have to lift a finger, breakfast was wonderful anything from freshly made omlettes or pancakes to African porridge. The beach was eroding but you still had plenty of room, the gardens with birds and monkeys were wonderful. I really could not fault the hotel or staff if I could go back every year I would definitely stay at this hotel, my holiday was truly wonderful.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank contehDm
Reviewed April 25, 2014

This is the third time I have stayed at the Senegambia Beach Hotel and again I have not been disappointed. I came back last week from a trip to Gambia with my daughter.

The staff are friendly and they cannot do enough for you. There is also consistency to staff members so as you return you become friends.

The breakfast is fabulous, there is a lot of choice and the staff will help with whatever you request for breakfast. They have both indoor and 2 areas outside with seating, so the dining area is large but and the outside area has beautiful views of birds and the resident monkeys.

My room was basic, old TV and furniture but clean. I have not had the privilege to stay in one of the refurbished rooms however I visited a friend's room whom I met whilst in the hotel and hers was much better with a flat screen TV, bright decor and up to date furniture. They are also expanding so maybe all of the rooms will eventually be refurbished. Rooms were cleaned daily.

Only downfall - the internet is still only accessible whilst in the lobby, that is why you will see people randomly sitting around there:-) An internet Café is only a few minutes away and at very reasonable prices.

I will be taking a group to the Hotel from the UK to attend the 'Gambia International Roots Festival in May' so I am excited to be booking this hotel again. If anyone wants to join us at www.raveaboutafrica.com

Vee

Room Tip: Request one of the refurbished rooms. We were at the top floor and had no Mosquito bites but some on the ground floor had problems...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family