“Great holiday again.”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Serekunda
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great holiday again.”
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Senegambia the last two weeks of February and really enjoyed my stay better than my last stay.

The grounds are what you pay for as the hotel rooms I have been in have all been 2 stars...tv only had 3 channels working, the water was sometimes just luke warm and other times hot..the bed was ok and I slept well, the aircon was good for keeping the room very cool..but not good to warm up. The cleaner give me the most friendly welcome ever the day after I arrived...then I never seen him again until the day before my departure...then he was there to wave me away on departure as though we were long term friends...all for a nice tip...Something that troubled me when i was there was the fact that a 31 year old Indian drowned in the hotel main swimming pool...how on earth a adult was not seen at the bottom of the pool is just crazy as the main pool area is always very busy.....my concern is if an adult can drowned and not been spotted in trouble....then how about a young small child?....One thing I noticed since my last stay was the food was much better....though speaking to people everyone seemed to have the Banjul belly...haha.

Outside the hotel you are on the main area for nightlife and that area is called..The Stip..and ive noticed the Bumpsters are not the force they were....until it got to about 2am...then it was mayhem. ..you got to stand firm with them, No means no. If you are new to The Gambia and if any young males try to befriend you and ask if its your first time in The Gambia....my advice would be ro say...No, ive been here many times...that will put them off giving you hassle but only slightly though...Don't tell them what hotel you are in as they will only claim they work nightshift there so they can get talking to you before they put the bit on for money..

All together a much better stay than last time and if Thomas Cook put better planes on that route I shall return again..

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Mark G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We actually stopped next door at the Kairaba but went to the Senegambia firstly to see the vultures being fed at 11:30am and secondly to get a drink when all of the electricity went off in our hotel (a common thing in The Gambia).

The vulture feeding is a real spectacle. The birds come from miles around, dozens of them, and take the food from the feeder in the air and on the ground. You can get really close to them and get some excellent photographs. A real treat if you are a twitcher.

The bar at the hotel is very large but despite having better seating than the bar at the Kairaba it lacks any kind of atmosphere, even with the footie on the telly.

The Senegambia seems to be more family orientated than the Kairaba with music by the pool and activities listed. The customers seemed 20 years younger and the place looked more like hotels I have seen in Spain and the spanish islands.

On reflection, as a 50 year old with no kids I think I prefer the Kairaba.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mark&Nic
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

For a hotel that is in a third world country, the Senegambia Beach Hotel is more than adequate. Okay the reception and restaurants could do with a spruce up, but nothing more than a lick of paint. The rooms themselves could do with the same, but if you are like us, you were only in them for a minimal amount of time, but they are absolutely fine. They are cleaned everyday, with towels changed daily & linen changed every three days. The staff are always friendly & polite with a constant smile on their faces. Will have no hesitation in coming back to this hotel on our next visit. Whilst we were there, we arranged to do a tour and we decided to use a local company 'Bushwhacker tours' located along the main strip. This turned out to be an inspired choice, as the guides 'JJ & Solomon were a delightful pair whose knowledge and attention met our every needs, meaning that we had a fantastic trip, with the bonus of being a lot cheaper than the same tour offered by our official tour company Thomas Cook.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Roger P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at the Senegambia for the first time in January 2013 for three weeks on B&B basis. This is a great place to go to and having travelled round Gambia we personnally think that Kololi is the best place to stay. The hotel is good, rooms basic (we were in E125 but clean, sheets towels changed all the time and room kept clean - had a small fridge, air con, fan, tv and safe in room. Alpha who looked after our room did a brilliant job and he could not do enough for you. We went out with him on a couple of day trips to visit his family and some local sights and these days were our most memorable of the holiday. Thank you Alpha. The breakfast is fantastic everything you could possibly want even English fry up, fresh omelettes and scrabble eggs cooked to order, We used to find that a good breakfast saw us through the day untli we ate out of an evening. We did eat in the hotel a few times and this was good, but outside on the "strip" there are many good local restaturants and all good value. Never had one bad meal. We used Arch Tours and cannot praise them enough, we did the 4 in 1 tour (a must) and the Fathala Game day fantastic very lucky got to see all the animals even the black water buffalo who had not been seen for weeks. Don't miss going across on the ferry from Banjul to Barra its definitely an experience!! The hotel staff and the people you meet everywhere are fantastic. Yes you do get bumsters approaching you but this is not a problem just be polite and say no thank you. Gambia is a very poor country which you will appreciate if you get out on the tours, so please tip them generously their smiles and thanks will be worth every penny. If you are lucky like us and invited to their homes if you buy them a sack of rice (about £20 including local delivery) this will help feed them for a month and the satisfaction of that is worth every penny. We will be going back to the Senegambia in January 2014 for another three weeks and this time will pack childrens clothes and mens/womens t shirts etc for our friends in the Gambia.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sue_Steve_London
Alderney, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have just returned from the Senegambia beach hotel and have all agreed it was a great place to spend a holiday.We all enjoyed it thoroughly the rooms were kept clean the hotel was clean and tidy as well as the grounds and the people were just fantastic.They cant do enough for you.The rooms their are very basic(as everyone as stated on this site) but what you see is what you get.The air-con is free(which is a plus)and the maids do a good job doing your rooms every day.We stayed Breakfast only and it was ok,there was enough choice of Cereals plus cooked and continental.The surrounding Restaurants were good also,With the pick of these(in our opinion) the Lebanese Restaurant Al-Rouche at the side of Chili's bar which was also a good standard(try the Four seasons pizza)The manager of the Lebanese Ali Scheisani was pleasant and always looking after the customers.The food was fantastic and very reasonable(i had Tiger Prawns which came to around £12 they were the dearest on the Menu) the Mezi he done for us was also lovely.The entire meals plus drinks came to under £25.The surrounding restra'nts were also very good with good prices.All in all a great holiday, beautiful weather and great people.We also tried one of the tours.Now i know they will ask you to book with your designated company but look no further than Arch tours.From Abdul(the bossman) to the guys who take you on the tours they are very professional with a great understanding of their culture and History.They look after you (in any situation) and give you a great time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Dave C
Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Went with a party of four for the last 3 weeks of February. The Thomas Cook flight was very cramped but I knew it would be. Two of our party were given a decent sized room (K15) that was meant for 3 people, so they were quite happy. I was allocated a room that I was not happy with (O18). It was in a dark corner location, had a bath that just stood loose without any sealant around it, which meant that water ran down the wall from the shower and went under the bath. The wardrobe space was also limited with only a half length drop which meant clothes could not be hung up neatly.

I asked to change rooms and was able to do this the following day. We were given D11 which was much better and in a nice sunny aspect. The rooms are pretty basic and quite old but ok.

As many have said the hotel is in nice grounds with monkeys and birds around the place. The breakfast is good and the staff are friendly. For those who like swimming in the sea you will find that it is usually a bit too rough for safe swimming so you will need the pool. As others have said the beach in front of the hotel has eroded with large old sandbags in evidence. Apart from that the beach either side is large and sandy. You will be approached by the bumsters but it is best to just walk on with a friendly wave. If you engage them in a conversation you will find it hard to get away from them. Don't get conned out of any money.

We booked a few trips with Arch tours and the guys were really friendly and the trips well organised.

There are plenty of restaurants around the strip, which is immediately outside the hotel. We preferred the quieter dining on the side road, so we mainly used Scala, Al Hora and Love. The service is better, so is the food, and its not much different in price to the ones on the main strip We did have a couple of meals in the African Queen but although OK its always busy and a bit rushed with not a lot of room around you.

There are plenty of women of all ages being escorted by young Gambian guys. Some of the women are obviously really old (70's) but that doesn't seem to matter to the guys. There are also quite a lot of old guys going around with young Gambian girls who they have obviously hired.

I would go back again, but probably only for a max of 10 days. Its a good place to go for a winter break as the weather is superb and you have lots of places to eat with pretty decent food at a very reasonable price along with cheap beer. Wine is a bit rough, but local spirits and mixers are cheap enough. Prices outside are obviously cheaper than the hotel.

Room Tip: As I was there for 3 weeks I asked to be moved to a ground floor room with a balcony that faced the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank PompeyMike
Wales
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Two weeks in February B&B. This was our 5th visit to Senegambia Beach Hotel, twice in the eighties and 3 times in the last 4 years. The hotel itself has not changed much since 1985. It really does need a big makeover to the rooms. I am led to believe that some blocks have been improved but the rate of improvement is very slow indeed considering it's size. It is the largest hotel in The Gambia. There is, I believe a brand new block built behind the main building, which I can't see advertised anywhere but aparantly costing the earth. Breakfasts have deteriated since 2012, cake on only 3 times a week, not enough fruit and if you go during the first half hour of opening then very little is prepared. This time my wife and I were accompanied by my eldest daughter and her youngest son, 15. This was their first visit to Africa and they enjoyed the experience. We went on two trips with Arch Tours, We have been with them before and I can't praise them enough for their great all round performance. Abdul, the owner of Arch can be proud of his team, who work tirelessly throughout to make your trip as enjoyable as possible. Roots tour was very interesting and the 4 in 1 tour which we did last year was real value for money. My wife and I spent most of our time on the beach which was looked after by John, he is so polite and caring and it's just a pitty that a lot of the sun beds and matresses are in a sorry state, not his fault. The beach is eroding at a fair rate now and the sand bagging has not helped, it's a mess but I understand that a Dutch firm has been contracted to build a concrete structure to help minimise more erosion. My daughter and grandson used the bottom pool area for their daily sunning and thouroughly enjoyed themselves. At this time of the year, flies and mossy's are minimal. Our morning beach walks for about 8k's are wonderful exersize and the bumsters are few and far between, a polite no is all that's required if you don't want to be pestered. We ate out every night and found the best resteraunts for our taste to be, African Queen, Paradisso, Tao Thai and Love 2. Darboe's opened in 2012 and was good but they have now extended and we think the food is not as good, I think they have a new chef. We ordered a bottle of wine and we are possitive it was not what it was supposed to be, it was open too. So darboe's is off our list. The Voodoo Beach Bar, turn left at the beach and walk 750m, this was ideal for a lunch time. Turn right and 150m there is the Seaview beach bar, my advice, STAY AWAY. Lastly we have to talk about Thomas Cook, I'm 6'3" if your over 5'9" it's hell on wings, there is NO ROOM. I managed to buy 2 leg room seats going but not coming back, Thomas Cook must address this issue but of course they won't, it's a 5hr 50min flight. The return journey was a 2.5hr delay, not their fault but it meant that they ran out of most refreshments and the meal was dried up. We will be going to Senegambia next year because the rooms are clean, the extensive grounds are well cared for and the staff are really good and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ColdstreamerFox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Serekunda
Kairaba Beach Hotel
Gambia Coral Beach Hotel & Spa
Kombo Beach Hotel
Sunset Beach Hotel
Ocean Bay Hotel & Resort

Been to Senegambia Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!