“very disappointing!!”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Serekunda
Walsall, United Kingdom
“very disappointing!!”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

we went to gambia last year to the ocean bay hotel in cape point and this year we stayed at senegambia beach hotel, which is at least a star below that hotel despite been £300 more to stay at the senegambia!

the hotel as a whole was far shabbier than ocean bay and rooms resembled pre-war butlins chalets, breakfast was far inferior to the ocean bay for numerous reasons, there were no toiletries in the room , female reception staff were spanish standard unhelpful, evening food was poor too, lunchtime pool food was acceptable, pool furniture was appalling, lots of filthy broken beds, in all it should of been £300 cheaper than the ocean bay rather than £300 dearer.
the location is central which is its only redeeming feature, close to lots of restuarants,
avoid this hotel, the kairaba hotel next door is far superior for a little extra money.

Room Tip: stay at ocean bay hotel and use taxis!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jools1x

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Huddersfield, UK
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We decided to return to the Senegambia after we had a good experience last time we came (2 years ago). Flew Thomas Cook, I'm sure livestock get more room! Somethings never change! Arriving at the hotel we was swiftly checked in and our room was allocated. Last time we stayed in M22 which was not the ritz, but we was happy. This time we was allocated Z3, which was a bungalow room. From what I gather it is one of only four of this type on the complex. On approaching the room i noticed straight away a wasps nest outside. On entering the room it was very dark. The windows where very small, no patio door either. I think if i'm honest i decided straight away i did not like this room. I ordered a twin room and this one did have 2 single beds but they where pushed together with no space to separate. I don not know why hotels do this, i ordered a twin room because i was traveling with a male friend and we did not want to sleep together. But, hotels seem to put them together like they are a double bed. I don't want to be sleeping in such proximity to my friend if i did i'd just book a double! We immediately noticed that the telephone was not working and the socket was hanging off the wall exposing the wires. Then we noticed the TV in the room had the wrong plug on it so it could not be used. We also had no safe which we had payed for. Also the room was crawling with Mosquito's. As the phone wasn't working we had to walk back to reception.
Reception listened to our complaints about the room but said they couldn't move us because they where full till Friday (2 nights). We asked them to separate the beds, remove the wasps nest, fumigate the room and get us a safe. This was done very quickly and we was a little happier. That was until we used the bathroom! Moldy walls and sink looked dirty. As i was showering i got the distinct flavor of rust in my mouth. Looking up the entire shower head was rusty! So was the tap head over the sink. The sink also would not drain. Another trip to reception to tell them, either change our rooms or we will be in touch with the travel company and we will be asking to change hotels.
We was convinced to say one night in the room and they'd do the up most to sort the situation the following morning. So we stopped one night in this mosquito infested room and decided to see the rep in the morning.
In the morning we approached the Thomas Cook rep to tell him we wanted to see him because we had issues with our room. But we was just going to grab breakfast first. As we was eating our breakfast a member of the reception team found us and said the hotel manager would like a word before we saw the rep. We finished our breakfast and we thought we would see what the manager would offer us before pursuing our complaint with the rep.
We saw the front of house manager, who was very nice and explained they'd just finished a new block in the hotel and all rooms where suites. If we would like to stay in one we could do if we gave our feed back on them. She took us to see the room and WOW!

The hotel was charging £95 per room per night extra for these rooms in the new Kololi block. I think that might have been a little steep but the rooms where fantastic! Large bedroom with cupboards desser etc. Very large and well lit. 40 inch TV on the wall. Bathroom was beautifully tiled with walk in shower, sink, toilet and fancy back lit mirror, again everything brand new. Living area had again, a 40 inch tv on the wall. 3 peice suite and a sink / food preparation area.
There where issues with the room mostly connected with the bathroom. The shower flooded the bathroom, the finshing in the bathroom was poor and i got electrocuted whilst trying to find the switch on the fancy back lit mirror (i think a cover had been missed off and i touched the end of the bulb). All issues where reported to reception. Apart from these issues we where thrilled with the room!
Breakfast as before was top notch! Very large selection to suite all tastes. If you can't find anything you like here you must be exceptionally picky. Staff are all very friendly and stop to chat. Good food available at the beach bar. New to us was the pizza restaurant which we tried and found to be very good.
The beach area has eroded considerably since we was last there. It seems to be affecting the senegambia area only though. You now have a 9ft cliff on the beach where the sand has been eroded away. They have tried to prevent this by dumping huge sand bangs into the sea and around the cliff. This does not look attractive and something needs to be done asap else the beach will have gone in a few years. The pool/beach attendants will reserve you a bed next to the pool or on the beach for a small tip.
Out on the strip the bumsters still roam. They are a pain and surely the worst point about The Gambia. Just say 'no, i'm not interested'. This is usually sufficient. If not don't be afraid of being rude and firmly say 'go away'. Usually the threat of reporting them to the police will make them back off straight away. We didn't think it was as bad as last time but may be we was used to it.
Great restaurants on the strip. We never had a bad meal. Green Mamba, Scala & African Queen worth a mention. Also the Gaya art cafe (top of the strip turn right and is on right hand side). This was very nice. It was like sat in shop full off things for sale for the home. Vases Lighting Pottery Jewellery etc etc.
If you get bored of the beach/pool - leave the hotel on the beach turn right and walk up around the point where you'll find other hotels and beach bars to chill out at. The beach is better here too.
All in all very good again, once we had moved from that terrible room!

Room Tip: They are slowly renovating rooms so ask for one that has been!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I was not expecting a luxurios room but the room I was taken to was drap 2 small single beds despite asking for a double tiny and sparce the phone was as far away from the bed as possible when people walked past the patio doors rattled waking me severaltimes and the curtains don't block out the light

Bathroom fittings were almost falling off the wall no hooks for towels etc

I was so fed up I emailed the Gambia experience and Jatta contacted me very quickly as I told them to find me another hotel fortunately the reservation manager think his name is Saikou offered me onr of their new rooms a suite freally which was nice huge with 2 42" LCD TV's that were mointed far too high all the power sockets were UK 3pin but the suppled kettle was the 2 pin type the room Kololi 2 is very close to reception almost in wi-fi range

I hated the annoying sunbed reservation at 8am you struggled to find an "unreserved bedf" goodness sake they were even using cuttlery to reserve beds

I spent all my time at the Kairiba next door had all my meals except breakfast which I had at the Senegambia which was balnd at best and I was allowed to use the pool/beach at the Kairiba although I did have to pay D200 for the first 2 days but they waived this aftefrwards

I did find the reviews of this hotel nothing compared to my experience but will agree most of the staff are very friendly although reception staff could be a b it more welcoming

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank spec119
Cambs
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Just back after two weeks in January. All staff friendly & polite, make sure you establish a rapport with the pool guys (Che & Jarra) - for a very small fee they will sort out your sun beds for the duration. They work hard and get paid hardly anything, so make sure you tip, or as they hardly ever get breakfast, buy a small can of sardines/corned beef for them.
We stayed in room M21, first floor, room adequate, if a little cramped between the bed and wardrobes.
Don't forget Happy Hour x 4 at the Karaiba hotel next door (17:30-1830) & (19:00-20:00) plus there are two more. We ate out every night and were not disappointed with any of the choices we made, personally I don't think you can go wrong.
Don't exchange money in the hotel, but do try at least 3 exchange shops outside on the strip to get the best rate.
Best walk - from the beach turn right and walk to Lebatos Bar and hotel - it's about 4km but well worth it.
Also Poco-Loco, and the beach bar directly next to hotel on the beach turning right.
The juice sellers can be a nuisance but they were never threatening. Yes, the beach is suffering heavily from erosion - but not a lot that can be done - other than dredging and creating a sandbank that will cost a fortune.
All in all a very relaxing holiday - would I go back - more than likely and this was our first visit to The Gambia.

Room Tip: First floor rooms in M N O P blocks
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank pj_n7
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We have just returned from a 21 day holiday and had a wonderful time, the hotel is very clean and right on the beach. The food at the hotel was very good the breakfast had plenty of choice and cooked freshly for you. The evening buffet had a different theme every night and was also very good.We never had any problems with the sunbeds, I gave my towels to the pool attendent (and there was 5 of us) each night and they were on the sunbeds in the morning, a small tip and a thank you goes a long way. The hotel is right on the senegamgia strip and there are many very good restaurants:- Al Rawshe Lebanese and Jade Kylin Chinese restaurant for a meal or the buffet on very Friday for the Lebanese and Sunday for the Chinese.
Scala Restaurant Danish family ruisine, The Green Mamba garden Restaurant,
Jojo's Bistro & Grill House, Chilis International Cuisine and many more are all well worth a visit.
The Thomas Cook rep was very good and all the staff were very good and helpful.

Room Tip: My wife and I stayed in room 201 and had a good view of the pool and the monkeys in the trees.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank dewhurst121
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed for 3rd time here and still think its best hotel in Gambia, our room this time was in d block quite a walk from reception but no problem for us the bed was huge and comfy and if it wasnt for the glorious sunshine I wud have had a hard job leaving it! Only 2 plug sockets in whole room tho and 1 was for fridge try taking double plug from home 2 make life easier, ate out every evening found chillis bar ( right outside hotel) excellent with a live musician/ singer every nite plus there free wifi was a lot better than hotels! Didnt do any trips this time as done them all b4 but did do the Gambian beach boogie which was a tandem sky dive and at this point was the most AMAZING experience of my life :)) cost £200 plus £50 if u want it recorded and put on DVD def worth it!! My only other bit of advice is to take plenty of magazines & newspapers as no where sells them the locals beg them from people then resell them but if u give then your papers when u arrive they will let you have nxt day for free. Amazing place can't wait 4 nxt jan x

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Lorr44
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I used to visit the Senegambia hotel once a month (lucky me!) in the 1980's as I was working as Air Crew and we used to stay there. In those days there was only one flight a week to Banjul!

We visited again in January and whilst it was the same- in a good way- the hotel has moved with the times and is a super place to stay for a relaxing week.
The grounds are so lovely- the exotic birds and (greedy!) monkeys are very special.

The rooms are basic by European standards but are spotlessly clean with clean linen and towels every day as well as a TV (BBC World News) and a very effective fridge!

The main pool/pool bar/restaurant is fantastic- right on the beach. The pool attendants will reserve you a bed and mattress in the location of your choice, every day, for a small tip. The pool is spotless and the swim up bar perfect for a cooling Julbrew! The bar staff are great, friendly and entertaining, they remember your order and have it waiting for you! Yummy cocktails as well. The food is varied and fresh- the pizzas are really good.

The hotel is right on the strip with a great selection of restaurants, African, Chinese, Indian, Italian etc... Special mention to Mandelas- great staff, beer and food. Prices are cheap, but please remember to tip generously! The bumsters did not bother us unduly (middle aged couple) you just need to decline their services firmly but politely.

We LOVE The Gambia and its delightful smiley people- can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We were in D (Drongo!) block and although some distance from reception- very quiet and quite near th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bucksgirl32
Also consider these accommodations in or near Serekunda
Kairaba Beach Hotel
Gambia Coral Beach Hotel & Spa
Kombo Beach Hotel
Sunset Beach Hotel
Ocean Bay Hotel & Resort

Been to Senegambia Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!