“senegambia hotel gambia”

Senegambia Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Serekunda
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Just returned from the Senegambia , my second visit, my previous visit was 16 years ago it has not changed much although there is a new swimming pool.The staff are amazingly friendly and helpful, the hotel clean and comfortable we stayed on a B&B basis as there are a lot of restaurants and bars just outside the hotel at very reasonable prices, The hotel has an amazing selection of wildlife and birds in the really beautiful grounds and I had wild monkeys coming and sitting on my sunbed and lap, dont't stay here if you do not like animals.The Gambia is a lovely countrywith lots to offer the tourists, the one thing that spoiled the holiday for me was the unwanted attention I received from young men, as a lone women you are a target and I was insulted by their attention having just lost my husband of almost 40 years I had just gone fora weeks R&R with Two close friends, even having made it clear that I was newly widowed and not interested. It does seem to be a place old men and women go to fulfil their fantasies of marrying young people whom they must surely realise are only after their money or a passport to England.

Room Tip: All rooms we saw were good and very similar
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank jenny s
There are newer reviews for Senegambia Beach Hotel

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I slated the Senegambia last time we went, but felt we should go back and give it another try. Well what an improvement, don't get me wrong there are still things they need to address but at least they are trying now. Our room was still basic but clean, when we got there the shower did not work and there was no pressure in the taps, went to reception - no joy, spoke to someone hovering outside and within 10 minutes a 'plumber' arrived and bled the pipes - took about 5 minutes - why cant they do that before you arrive !!. Also had an issue with the air con - again found a person hovering and it was done. The food was a lot better at breakfast than before with more variety and bacon every day!!!. There is now a pizza restaurant which seemed quite popular. They also have the acts in the evening around this area which was a lot better.
Sadly the beach has eroded even more and is sandbagged to try and stop more erosion, they need to pipe some sand back from the sea as they did a few years ago. Of course the added bonus was the skydiving right on our beach twice a day, it was fantastic.
Some of the staff have not been called back this year which is sad - one in particular is Francis the beach bed man. But thankfully some of the not so helpful staff have not been called back either which is a good thing. They seem to have the staff about right now - all helpful and willing.
The gardens are looking a lot better and are well kept - they were in a rather sorry state before.
Really glad we went back and are now going back in February 2013.
Although my review is about the hotel I must comment on the flight - it is awful, so cramped and uncomfortable for a 6 hour+ flight. I wish First Choice would start going back to the Gambia in their own planes - even if you book with the Gambian Experience you still get a Thomas Cook flight ( from Manchester and Birmingham ). The bus journey can be as bad - we have our own taxi out there so thankfully don't need to go on the bus but I do feel sorry for those that do.
It is nice to write a review about the Senegambia that is positive and we look forward to going back in February.

6  Thank maureenb1
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We revisited in November, and found that the hotel had deterioated somewhat since our last visit 5 years ago. Bad bits first and the first criticism has nothing to do with the Hotel. DO NOT FLY out with Thomas Cook. If they squeezed animals in to the aircraft like they squeezed us in, they would be had up for cruelty to animals. I could not get my table down, I had to sit up bolt upright the whole way and the incessent advertising over the tannoy system precluded any chance of trying to nod off. I have since measured from my knee to my back and find I was allocated 24 inches sitting space. Absolutely disgusting!. Back to the review. The Hotel was badly in need of a makeover. The room was adequate but shabby, the gardens were very pretty but had fallen some way below the levels we hade seen on our last visit. The Hotel was clean, the staff were wonderful and very helpful, the beach was terrible (through no fault of the Hotel I admit but if you advertise a beach then a beach you should have and not a building site). To sum up the hotel was expensive for what you get, luckily the staff do their best to make up for the defficiencies with their pleasentless and good humour. I dont' think I will be coming back again.

4  Thank Curly-Finch
Reviewed November 27, 2012

this was our second visit this year, we requested the same block as like to watch the monkeys and birds and this was sorted for when we arrived, I,J,K, block is recommended, we also emailed to request a taxi transfer this was also sorted with a guy waiting for us when we arrived at the airport cost 500 dalasi about £10.00 easier than waiting for the coach to fill up then have to drop every one off. The hotel rooms are basic but clean and the beds changed regularly and towels changed daily. You do get some hassle from the staff not too much to handle, be polite and remember they dont have much, as we visited a compound where one of the gardeners lived, he made us feel welcome and we had a lovely meal cooked by the women on the compound. If you want to see real Gambia get out of the hotel and go out for a look around.we ate out every night and had breakfast at the hotel plenty of choice if you like eggs. The grounds are lovely much better than the 5 star karaiba next door. I would rather stay at the senagambia than the karaiba although the rooms may be better overall the hotel is better in my opinion.Give this a go you will not be disappointed just remember it is the Gambia and 4 & 5 star is not the same as England and I do travel a lot.

Room Tip: I,J, K block recommended
3  Thank 504202Sunlover
Reviewed November 25, 2012

i stayed here in november 2012 and had a great time the staff were friendly and welcoming. the hotel was simple with good food and great entertainment in the evenings. if your staying here and need a great tour guide try the bushwhackers they are good value and informative, Ali and his team are amazing.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Charlotte B
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Just returned form Senegambia Beach Hotel and have to say I would try the Kariba next door if we travel there again which was very nice (we had a tour). Hotel acceptable but rooms very basic. All was clean but very tatty and poorly furnished. The upper bar area is very poorly stocked and it seemed it was more than they were prepared to do to walk twenty yards to the supermarket to purchase Jack Daniels, I gave up asking after the first week and drank next door. The staff in this area are very lazy and service is poor. Staff at poolside were helpful and friendly when you could get there attention and room staff were very friendly and helpful who done the best with what they had.Food at Breakfast was good everything you could wish for. Dont forget to take your kettle and cups for your room. Gardens very nice and full of wildlife, birds, Lizards and plenty of monkeys (keep your bags closed by the pool). Generally we had a good holiday amongst friendly people and made the most of what we had, however would make the additional spend next time and stay elsewhere. ps do not change cash in Hotel go outside and up the strip fifty yards and you will get an additional 12 dilasi to the pound.

Room Tip: Choose blocks M N 20 - 24 which overlook gardens and have balcany.
1  Thank dotsmash
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Very nice all round place. Very large grounds and if wildlfe is your thing then this IS the place for you. Teaming with huge/little lizards, vultures, eagles, monkeys and so many different species of birds its ridiculous. The accomadation itself is okay, clean and spacious with all your basics. Phone didnt work though. some great bars on site especially the pool bar by the sea. Good fun there with stuff to do all the time. Water polo, arobics, vollyball etc. The poeple are generally nice too but only trouble is they try latching onto you alot, trying to persuade you to visit there compound etc when sometimes you just want to be left to relax.
If your after a hot, sunny, cheap (50p a beer) place with lots to do and your an animal lover, this is the place!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Serekunda
Kairaba Beach Hotel
Sunset Beach Hotel
Kombo Beach Hotel
Gambia Coral Beach Hotel & Spa
Ocean Bay Hotel & Resort

Been to Senegambia Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!