“Relaxing”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Lalibela
Genève
“Relaxing”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We stayed here 3 nights. After visiting the nice city of Lalibela or around, it is good to come to this hotel and to relax. This is a luxury hotel with a nice restaurant. The rooms are OK, with a little bit of problems inside (old stuffs), but nothing really bad.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jérémy B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Clarenville, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I knew Lalibela was a small town, and I had been in Ethiopia for a month before I arrived there, so I was not expecting luxury at the Roha. However, guides and others in the town kept stating that it was an excellent hotel, and the Bradt guide described it as"upmarket", so I was expecting better than this.
First, the pros: the garden is charming, and you can breakfast on a small terrace outside the dining room, with trees and birds around you. The style and decor, which is local stone with traditional artwork, could be attractive, if cleaned and repaired when needed.
The cons: the place is filthy: the carpet was strewn with dust, seeds, and someone's prescription pills. Dust lay on everything, especially the toilet tank. The window screen (the window handle was missing, so it was permanently open) had wires sticking off in 3 directions. There was no stopper for the sink. The bed was both incredibly lumpy, and saggy. The sheets were grey--not their original colour. There is a fan--which is mounted just below the ceiling, facing the wall!
There was no water during the first day; they told me that something was being done with the water line in the town. There was a bucket of water to flush the toilet; nothing with which to scoop up water to wash one's hands, and the bucket was at least 5 gallons. I asked the desk clerk if wireless internet was available, and he said, "only in the office." I later found that this was completely wrong, and there was wifi in the rooms--no idea why he wouldn't know this. When I asked the manager, he said the clerk didn't understand. I never complain in hotels, but even I complained here. Not that it did any good. When I learned there was no water, I requested a bottle of water in my room. They were demanding payment for it within two hours (I was staying for two nights).
Oh, and the pool apparently hadn't been filled since it was noted as empty in a 2012 guidebook.
I guess I should have gotten the vibe when I saw that the lobby was "decorated" with a glass-covered poster advertising "the Axum Hotel--opening in 1993"!
I ate at both the Tukal and the Lal, just down the road. Both looked as if someone was at least in charge. If the Roha is indeed the best in town, as some claim, Lalibela has a dismal standard. Every else I stayed in Ethiopia, including an $11/night guesthouse, was cleaner.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank centralNFLD

Travelers are raving about these Lalibela hotels

London
Reviewed April 27, 2014

A government-run hotel with an interesting layout, friendly service and above average food. There is also an interesting on site shop selling crafts etc. (and stamps – which are hard to come by here!). A 30-40 minute walk from the rock-hewn churches and the unique Ben Abeba restaurant (great for sunsets and reasonably priced meals). Spent a very pleasant couple of nights here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank UKMALETRAVELLER
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Considering the one other hotel we saw earlier in the day, this was ok. Staff was professional and helpful; though when we asked for some ice after our friend had sprained his ankle during the day's walk at the churches, we got three cubes ice. Besides that, the fans in both our rooms didn't work. We liked the restaurant 'yeTsom' food.

Stayed April 2014
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Personally visited several Lalibela hotels on my trip and Roha was easily the best. Others were older, not as clean, had poorer restaurants and were noisier. Roha has phenomenal service, large rooms, and is very quiet. The tour staff is also incredible. They provided me with a personal tour guide, security, full use of a car, and tours to all of the sites in only two days. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and flexible. I have had personal tours in several countries. This was easily the best. I was 100% satisfied. Absolute perfection! Arrange tours through the hotel before you arrive. They pick you up at the airport and also provide transportation for your departure. Incredibly efficient.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank PHDMMW
washington, dc
Reviewed March 23, 2014

i am an experienced world traveler of matrure years, traveling alone or with friends, picky but not overly so, who does much advance research for trips, and am therefore generally happy with my hotel choices.
WELL IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN VIEW OR THE PANORAMIC, BUT LALIBELA'S CLASSIC DOESN'T DISAPPOINT.
stayed here in 2013 and again in 2014.
PLUSSES
>far from city noise/dust/claptrap but close to churches
>clean comfortable rooms
>great food and friendly service in lovely diningroom
>sunset view terrace
>no wailing mullahs or barking dogs
>all services, friendly helpful reception
>wifi
>terrrific lalibela guide/tour planner, Alebachew Stotie (honest, knowledgeable, excellent english, pleasant) ask for him at hotel reception or alebachew_stotie@yahoo.com 0912080039, 251333360848

Room Tip: all rooms pretty much the same
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank FROOOM
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Our tour group stayed here for 3 nights. I had a twin room to myself with views through trees to mountains. Clean and quiet, and there was hot water once the shower had run for a while (do your laundry first!)

The hotel is about 30 mins walk from town or you can get a taxi our tuktuk. There are souvenir shops and a bar close by.

I liked the hotel as it was quiet (woken by birdsong - far enough from town that the 5.30am Lent mass broadcast didn't disturb me!) and has a nice little garden with seating, but I'd suggest eating elsewhere as the food was really average.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lalibela
Panoramic View Hotel
#1 of 14 in Gonder
Taye Belay Hotel
Taye Belay Hotel
#5 of 14 in Gonder

Been to Roha Hotel? Share your experiences!