“great value small hotel”
Review of Asheton Hotel

Asheton Hotel
Ranked #11 of 21 Lalibela B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Great location, Simple but clean rooms and with en suite bathrooms and comfy beds. The courtyard garden is a lovely place to relax after a hard day's church visiting. I had decided to take a guide to the churches ( normally I prefer to wander peacefully alone ) to make a contribution to the local economy so I took the hotel's recommendation. I knew at 500 Birr it was probably a bit more expensive than if I'd tried to find one independently ( the guide doesn't get this amount ) I went for it for the sake of convenience. .Unlike some other reviewers, I didn't experience any hassle from reception about it and you can always politely decline! In the end i was so glad I'd taken that option as my guide, Zenebe ( ask reception for his number ) couldn't have been more helpful and, as a lone woman traveler, an absolute gentleman! He also took me to Torpedo tej ( honey wine ) house in the evening.....It's totally non touristy, just somewhere locals hang out to listen to music get into the astonishing traditional shoulder dancing. For food the extraordinary Ben Abeba restaurant is the place to go...15 mins walk from Asheton.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank carinaegypt

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Asheton Hotel's location in Lalibella is hard to beat, as is the price, for a double room that is basic but more than adequate. I would have given a higher rating except we, too, noticed problems that originated with the front desk. (There is a lot of hustle from an unlicensed guide at the front desk.) But the more concerning thing was that after we departed the hotel en route by bus to Bahir Dar. At a bus change at a junction a man approached and said he had been sent to collect by the hotel because we only paid for two of our three nights stay. We cleared that up with a call to the hotel but its concerning that many locals have warned us that this is likely a scam.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chai435662
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We spent three nights at this basic hotel and were pleased with the value we got for our money. However, we were NOT pleased to have fallen for the "your guide is waiting" scam perpetrated by the guy on the reception desk when we registered. I responded I had not asked for a guide and he said, "He's waiting. Work it out with him." We met with the "guide" out on the hotel patio and he was such a smooth talker, we agreed to his extortionate $30 per person (there were two of us) fee to guide us through the churches for the rest of the day. Later, we discovered an official guide hired at the ticket desk would have cost us a very small fraction of this. The hotel is a two minute walk from the center of town and directly accross from the wonderful Unique restaurant where we ate all of our meals.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed for several nights in different rooms in December 2012. Centrally located on the quiet street. All rooms facing beautiful courtyard with flowers. Very clean and nice rooms. Always had hot water with good pressure. Paid 300B for double. Good restaurant. Nice staff, will store you luggage.
Highly recommended

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Radeko1
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I spent there two nights in January 2013. The price for a single room (big bed) was around 250 Birr, which is below average in Lalibela. It is well located, close to the main interest points.

It is nothing luxurious, but very acceptable: hot water, functioning toilets, pretty clean, no bugs in the bed (which sounds rare in Lalibela!), a very nice garden to read and relax. The staff members are nice and arrange a transportation for the airport for 70 Birr.

(The dreadlocks boy of the hotel offers you deals that don't look very honest, i.e: 400 Birr for a guide, etc. My advice is to look somewhere else for deals!)

Room Tip: Check the hot water, it might not work in every room!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Aricotine
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Location was perfect, rooms weren't luxurious, that's obvious, but can't complain, slept very well. Colorful, full of flowers, garden was also a big advantage!

Food in restaurant was good - first time I have eaten injera (everyone must get used to this taset, but wasn't bad:)), traditional coffee with goat milk was also delicious.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Barry_O999
Reviewed September 12, 2012

After staying in more expensive hotels for the most of our trip we had to cut short on a few nights and were pleasantly suprised by the Asheton Hotel. The rooms are whitewashed and all have some local art on the wall. The beds are old but OK for the bugs you pay (for us 200BIRR in mid-season). The courtyard is nice and spacious but could do with a little update to more welcoming chairs or a bench. For the breakfast I had an egg sandwich which was a little too oily, but that seems to be quite common in ethiopia. The bread though was really tasty.
The owner was friendly and helpful, accompanied me to the local airline office because our flights were changed.

The night after visiting the churches my boyfriend ended up with lots of flea bites, so make sure you take extra socks and extra mosquito repellent precautions before visiting the wonderful rock hewn churches!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple