“A setting and experience worth the hike”
Review of Lalibela Hudad

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lalibela
Lalibela Hudad
Burlington, Vermont
“A setting and experience worth the hike”
Reviewed October 14, 2015

I needlessly worried about the hike up to Hudad. Age, high elevation, tired hip all added to my worries. But there was no reason to hurry, so our group of 5 women friends took our time, enjoyed the lush scenery and the donkey traffic. Hudad can't be described; how can the food be so good when there is no electricity or running water? Who is building these amazingly beautiful stone buildings? Even my cynical streak was challenged when we sat around the fire (finally getting warm) and sang Amazing Grace and Good Night Irene ( in English and Amharic) and listened to Amharic songs from the villagers who joined us for dinner. Yes, make your reservations and experience this very special place.

• Stayed October 2015, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Southsea
Reviewed September 28, 2015

Our stay at the Lalibela was absolutely fantastic. Everything was taken care of for us by our lovely guide, Workeye. He even carried our youngest daughter up to the Hudad on his shoulders! All our needs were catered for - from the donkeys that carried our bags, to the tasty food we ate, the welcome from the Gelada baboons, the breath-taking views over the mountains, and the cosy beds. Our three girls will remember this magical experience forever. Workeye took us hiking to local villages where we met the most friendly, welcoming people amongst the most amazing scenery I have ever seen. I would highly recommend this trip to anyone exploring Ethiopia. It really is a 'must do'.

Room Tip: All rooms are simple, but well constructed huts with amazing views.
  • Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
Reviewed August 25, 2015

My family's guide, Dagim, and a guide-in-training, Tadess, helped us immeasurably enjoy our multi-day stay at the hudad. They were unfailingly polite, attentive, kind, and patient. Their local knowledge really helped put the setting in context for us. I certainly recommend their services. We knew going into it it wouldn't be a typical destination and were prepared. For two out-of-shape parents and 3 kids it took almost 2 hours of hiking and scrambling to reach the plateau, but IT WAS WORTH IT. It's one of those things that's not easy and could weed folks out, but it's excellent because it keeps the hudad exclusive. You'll be transported back in time along the "path", which serves as a walking highway for remote villages to reach town. I was amazed at the swath of humanity that bounded up and down it from barefooted kids to the very wise. The hudad itself is a remote place, literally above the rest. Each tikul or room is unique. No electricity is available, there's certainly no television, but there are many geladas, donkeys, birds, lizards, and other creatures. Take your time, savor it, and enjoy it. Pretty soon you'll be home and wishing for "porridge with honey" for breakfast.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
1 Thank Tim R
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2015

We stayed in a variety of interesting places on our Ethiopian trip, all with one thing in common; character. Staying with Mesfin & his guys at the Hudad on top of this mountain headland / cliff was a really wonderful experience. We were anxious to get a confirmation from the Hudad, as we had changed our dates. Luckily for us, we bumping into one of the guides in Lalibella town and he assured us all was fine. On the mountain there is no wifi (another top reason for going, almost..) so correspondence can be delayed / sporadic, but do not despair or give up hope! Relax into the local pace and have faith.

Having read reviews I had packed a warm 'down jacket', carrying it through the sub-tropical areas of Ethiopia I did doubt my need for it. Once up on the mountain, it was essential once the sun went down and was accompanied by a hat and long sleeves. Due to the altitude, there are wild temperature fluctuations from day to night, one morning i managed to get sun burnt whilst having breakfast outside, but I digress. We opted to take the car / van to the nearest road drop off point and walk up from there. Steep it definitely was, loose rocks and all sorts, but stunningly beautiful. Also a good idea to have a donkey take your pack, unless you are some sort of masochist (!), so you have a fighting chance of enjoying the walk. Our guide and personal fixer for our time there was Yayo (sorry for the spelling!), who walked us up then morphed into our "fixer" and sorted everything else we needed for the duration. We went out walking with him on one day and he was very knowledgeable about the local area, flora & fauna and people. He was also happy to chill out and relax with us, even helping my wife to improve her Amharic language skills.

Our hut was very spacious and made in the traditional way, with a compacted earth floor and mud & stick walls. This keeps it cool during the day but also at night, so you need to wrap up warm if you feel the cold. Hot water bottles turn into 'morning wash' warm water in a simple, clever and sustainable way - very smart where water is scarce. We slept very well here and were pleased we had mountains of blankets.

The other people staying here were all cut from a similar-ish cloth, with a little bit of adventurousness in everyone. If you are used to international business hotels, this is not the place for you. If you enjoy living in the open air and feeling the heart of the planet beat, you will enjoy this. The guides and all of Mesfin's team are from the local area, so it provides an income for the local community, which is an excellent additional benefit. I have to mention the food, as this is always close to my heart; it was, in one word, excellent! If you agree that food tastes better eaten round a fire in the open air you will be similarly happy. I did go and personally thank the cook using my few words of Amharic, as she was mostly in the background working hard.

One of my favourite memories is of watching the big eagles & vultures wheeling around on the thermals right in front of us around the side of the plateau. In particular watching the local falcons hunting, diving and claw-to-claw grappling with each other in the skies above - breathtaking. The fresh mountain air and lack of dust (omnipresent everywhere else we went) gave the whole place a fresh and clean feel, well run and friendly. After the hectic Orthodox Christmas in Lalibela this was a very welcome change of pace.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rob A
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed July 7, 2015

Hudad Lodge is truly one of the nicest places we've stayed on our Ethiopia trip. The climb to the lodge is an experience: First, it takes about 20 minutes by car to the outskirts of Lalibela. Then there is a climb of about one hour to the lodge. The best thing about the lodge is the place itself: on a plateau up in the mountains. The view is fantastic and a huge group of baboons regularly visits the place. The interior of the huts is simple. There is no electricity and no running water, but that does not bother. The service of the lodge-owners is fantastic. It is great that the guests have dinner together on an open fire. We had an excellent guide that we can only recommend: Temesgen Tsehaynew (mobile phone +251 922 628 198). With the help of the guide can be organized lovely walks.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
3 Thank guenz74
Belgium
Reviewed May 4, 2015

I visited Hudad Lodge on 24/04 (only during the day) , with my guide: Mesfin. It was absolutely fantastic! Peaceful local people, pleasant wild animals, and of course breathtaking landscape! I really hope to go there again with my friends and stay there for at least one night!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
2 Thank HAN_YO01
Reviewed May 2, 2015 via mobile

I spent two nights with my family in hudad. I found the location one of the most amazing I saw in my life bongalows are distanced on a cliff overlooking an amazing surrounding. I didn't give the excellency as in my opinion the restaurant should be with a real fireplace nice tables and more windy proof the hot Shower could be top down with an easy gravity system. The guides were excellent as the food. I really will advise all my friends in addis to spend here one night

Stayed May 2015