“before it opened”
Review of Lalibela Hudad

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lalibela
Lalibela Hudad
Dublin, Ireland
“before it opened”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I visited the place when it was having the last touches being put to it before it opens to the public. It looked amazing. I don't expect a place in such issolated location to be that confortable. In relation to the review that complains about the "limited" english of the personel. one thing only. get off your monolingual english speaking backside and smell the roses, not every body has to speak the language of the empire. I am sure the personell was at least bilingual another thing is that you are not. In relantion to accesibility, thanks b**** god! that it is in such a remote place, if not you will get lazy tourist taking over the place with their cars and it would loose the whole purpose and charm.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel in advance and I am sure they will provide a guide to take you to the hotel. Expec...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed at the Lalibela Hudad with my family last September - a perfect time to visit, not too hot, not too cold. Our stay at the Hudad was the highlight of our trip through Ethiopia, for the 12 year old as much as for the 50 year old. The scenery across the valleys from the plateau, over 3,000m above sea level is breathtaking. I felt like I was on top of the world. The challenging walk through farmland to reach the Hudad is worth every step. The reward is the most spectacular scenery imaginable and a peacefulness hard to find elsewhere. We lay on blankets on the soft grass, Mesfin calls it his loungeroom, soaking up the late afternoon sun, watching huge birds soar and listening to tiny birds tweeting as they hoppeed amongst the surrounding bushes. The Hudad is a series of huts including guest rooms, thoughtfully placed to ensure privacy and wonderful views, bathroom and dining hut. The Hudad has a capacity of only 16 to ensure minimum impact on the environment and a peaceful stay for all guests. All materilals have been sourced locally and Mesfin has taken great care with the design of each building, creating an architecturally outstanding eco lodge. Mesfin has also taken great care to consider the needs of guests - comfortable beds, thick blankets, warm clothes for the cold evenings. The staff at the Hudad a friendly and helpful and provide wonderful entertainment over the evening meal around a fire. The meals are fantastic. We only stayed 1 night so did not do any of the walks that can be taken from the Hudad. Next time we will stay 3 nights.

Room Tip: All rooms have spectacular rooms. Great care has been taken with the positioning of each hut, you ca...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This review is rather late as I stayed at the Lalibela Hudad over Christmas 2012, for that I apologise. Nevertheless, the Hudad is in a stunning location with unparalleled vistas of the Ethiopian countryside, set above a mountain around 3,200 metres above sea-level. The walk up can be challenging especially for someone like me who doesn't regularly go mountain-trekking; however, it's worth every effort. A lovely guide collected me from the airport and showed me around the churches before handing me over to the guide who would help me up the mountains to the lodge. This guide stayed with me throughout my three-day stay and we became very good friends. He introduced me to farmers in the area on our many treks and gave me the opportunity to try some of the freshly-brewed barley beer of the region.

Mesfin, who manages the lodge, is a wonderful and extremely kind gentleman who welcomes you wholeheartedly upon arrival. He makes you feel at home as do the other guides and the locals. I can never forget the older gentleman who would show off his Ethiopian dancing skills over the evening fire after giving the guests a traditional foot wash and massage as is the custom upon receiving new guests; he would serenade me with songs entitled "wetatu ferenj" (young foreigner).

My sunburn aside, I will always hold this experience close to my heart as I will Mesfin and the other guides at the lodge. I recommend this lodge to anyone whether they be alone, with their family or with their partner. After a tumultuous year, my time at the lodge allowed me to return home with a renewed sense of life and for that I thank Mesfin and his crew!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ElmemPopescu
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The Hudad Lodge is in a stunning location on top of a mountain ridge. The hike up is strenuous, but makes it even more worth it when you arrive. There are small huts for guests spread out across the property so it feels very peaceful and private. The owner, Mesfin, is hospitable while respecting one's wishes for privacy or entertainment. The food is simple but great tasting, and the locals that join you around the fire at night and sing songs (and give traditional foot massages) are colourful and entertaining - especially if you buy them a round of beer! We shared the space with baboons and other wildlife when we were there. Our guide (Derebe +251913382341) took us further up to a village literally in the sky the next day. I would also like to highly recommend Derebe if you are planning to visit Lalibella - he was just the right mix of knowledgeable, mellow and engaging - you would not go wrong with having him involved in your visit to Lalibella and/or Hudad.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Amy B
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in Oct 2012, right when they opened for the season following the rainy period.

The trek from Lalibela to Hudad is beautiful, however take as little with you as possible (i.e. keep most of your stuff at a hotel in Lalibela) to enjoy the walk. Mules are available to carry packs (suitcases not so good). It takes about 1.5-2hrs up, depending on your fitness level (it's not technically difficult), but entirely worth it on arrival.

The Hudad covers a tabletop mountain with breathtaking 360-degree views. The kitchen/dining area and all huts are built of stone, and furnished with taste. In October 2012 it was very cold at night, and the evening fires were crucial. The beds were very cold despite several kilos of blankets (hint to manager: hot bottle waters in the bed during the dinner hour).

The meals are freshly prepared and filling (a little greasy at lunch). Breakfast is delicious. In the evening the staff sing and play indigenous instruments by the fire - charming the first night when I was alone, not so much the second night when other guests had arrived.

The tabletop hosts a troupe of resident geladas who much on grass in the late afternoon and are generally unconcerned with visitors - it's quite magical to witness.

The owner is building more huts and a larger dining area. I look forward to returning and seeing the progress.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have just returned from spending two nights at Hudad. What can say? Getting there is not for the faint hearted. The airport is at 1,800 meters, Lalibela is at 2,600, and Hudad is at 3,200 meters. The climb is for intermediate hikers; you must be fit. I highly suggest hiring a mule. It can take up to 3 hours getting there. However, the pain is worth it! Hudad is not quite finished yet so it's very rustic still; outdoor toilets, no running water or electricity. Once dark came, unless you brought a good flash light, you're in the dark (the staff loaned us one). The food was excellent. The staff professional and friendly without going over board. The scenery was stunning; the stars at night was like wearing 3D glasses. Truly incredible. While sitting outside the lodge, we had a troop of baboons wonder up to us and hawks soaring over us. The whole atmosphere was very authentic.
If you plan to go, contact Derebe. He is amazing. The best guide I've ever experienced: patient, kind, encouraging , honest, reliable.
It is true, the cost is a bit much for what you're getting. The cost of the guide should be included in the room rate since you can't get there without him!! Also, the food should also be included since its the only food source available! And, since it was more like camping with walking to the out house/ showers, and no electricity (you sleep on tukles), it's a bit expensive. However....with this said, I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Room Tip: We had a tukle very close to the showers/toilet. A good thing to have in the middle of the night!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mpsm
Dakar, Senegal
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Hudad was an absolutely lovely experience. Incredible views, clean, spacious lodging and plenty of space to enjoy the incredible peacefulness of it all. And the food, prepared by three sisters over open fires in a small, stone lodge, was absolutely delicious.

I wouldn't agree with those saying that it was over-priced as everything used and consumed at Hudad has to be brought up on the backs of either people or donkeys. And while a guide is probably a must (at least for the first time), donkeys certainly aren't. We and almost all of the other people were met there had hiked up without donkeys. Granted, it's a push in places, but it's also very rewarding once you reach the top, and even better when you realise that they've managed to have some reasonably-priced, cold St George beer waiting. We came away feeling that it was good value for money, and a welcome and refreshing change from some of the other lodges we've stayed at.

This is a really special place and we're already looking forward to returning to spend more time on our next trekking trip. Tip top marks all around. A real gem.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lalibela
Mountain View Hotel
Cliff Edge Hotel - Lalibela
Old Abyssinia Lodge
Old Abyssinia Lodge
#6 of 12 in Lalibela

Been to Lalibela Hudad? Share your experiences!