“Eco Lodge, Lalibela Hudad, THE most amazing stay of my life.”
Review of Lalibela Hudad

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lalibela
Lalibela Hudad
Seattle
“Eco Lodge, Lalibela Hudad, THE most amazing stay of my life.”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

My friend arranged our stay here. We toured the churches in Lalibela and headed up on donkeys with a myriad of beautiful villagers passing us by. It was other worldly. I fell in love the with terraine and beauty. The experience on "top of the grandest grand canyon of all" was spectacular. Guided treks to villages and passing local people were astounding. A young teenager invited us in her family's tukul for a traditional coffee ceremony and lunch. The meals and singing and dancing with local villagers was spectucular. The breakfasts with baboons playing nearby was exhillerating. The tukul and extra warm clothing to wear transcended our travel to a different time and place. The beauty looking over the table top of a mountain to see terraced farms and countless villages and hearing the children's voices as they brought the family's animals home at dusk will stay with me forever. I want to return. I want to take my children and grandchildren there and I want to keep this dream alive and make it happen. It was fantastic. One of the greatest privileges of my life.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The 3-4 hours hike up was difficult for us - no point ignoring that. But, once we got up there, and after the fresh fruit and cold drinks, it was amazing. The tukuls are comfortable, the outdoor eco-toilet cleaner (and more scenic) then many hotel toilets. But you're really going up there to experience: the extraordinary landscape around you, vistas in every direction, light changing through the day, solitude (if you want it) and total peace. We stayed two days/two nights and loved it. We were the only people there for most of our two days, and the children had the most enormous playground to themselves - castles and forest sprung up around them and they loved it. Their veggie repertoire is expanding, the evening fire and song and dance is great fun.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Australia
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Looking up to the Mountain and being told where we were walking to, was a little daunting for me to say the least. A friend and I decided to share a Mule and this was a very wise decision, even after walking half the way, I really needed that break to make it up that Mountain (I am not a trekker by any means). It was a tough walk, but the warm welcome at the top was worth it! (I recommend not setting off on the walk any later than 3pm from Lalibela as we left too late and couldnt take in the breath-taking views of what we had just climbed).
On arrival to the lodge, we were given warm hand towels and a well deserved beer! They had started the fire for us and we were offered delicious soup and a fabulous meal (amazing what can be cooked on charcoal). The highlight was of course the hot foot masage, which left us all in tears of laughter. This foot massage happens every night and it is a tradition in the village when you enter a persons home, you will be offered a foot massage and food (i must say I very much like this tradition).
We woke up to the sunrise and some spectacular scenery! Don't worry about what to do during the day, enjoy a walk around the rim of the Mountain, take in the scenery and baboons playing close by, relax and walk to the closest village if you are up for another walk (apx 1.5hours one way to the closest village).
The rooms are clean and simple, everything is made from local materials and it is a true EcoLodge. No electricity (small solar panel lights to find your way to the room), make it a truly authentic experience like no other. The beds are very comfortable and you have enough warm blankets and clothes to keep you warm during the night. The toilets are absolutely fantastic, they are located outside, proper toilets done in an authentic way, so you are sitting on the toilet seat whilst looking up to the stars!
The staff were fantastic and were there for our every need, the hospitality, kindness and authenticity of this property just blew my mind, at night we were treated to traditional singing and dancing which was a real highlight for me. The smiles and genuine happiness of the staff is something you do not geteverywhere in the world, and it was so nice to see.
This place is 'heaven on earth' and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has a sense of adventure, you don't even need to be a trekker to enjoy this place (I am most certainly not!)

2 Thank lauraeady
Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My travel companions and I had an great time in Hudad, and when you have more than one night in Lalilibela, its definitely worth the climb! I have to agree with all the good stuff being said here about the lodge - very welcoming staff, beautiful rooms, relaxing times just reading & chillin on the plateau, superb sunset, ...

Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Lalibela Hudad was the highlight of my trip in Ethiopia. Although the hike is not for the inexperienced trekker, there are mules for hire, and the porters are extremely friendly and helpful. Once you reach the top you have blankets and sweaters thrown around your shoulders, a hot bowl of soup followed by an equally delicious meal set in front of you, and men from the surrounding villages massage/wash your feet! A day spent playing cards and reading in the sun, while looking at the astonishing views was just what I needed after the hustle and bustle of Addis Ababa. I highly recommend this lodge to anyone and everyone.

Zanzibar, Zanzibar Urban, Tanzania
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Met with fruit, a warm water hand wash, thick blankets and delicious local cuisine spread, our group of 7 was more than pleased to have trekked the challenging, but beautiful, 2.5 hour uphill to Lalibela Hudad. Warm hearted staff, some special cultural surprises, interested baboons, clear crisp air, night skies pregnant with stars and a view to note provide the perfect getaway on this secluded cliff top. Well-worn hiking boots, water for the hike, a few days to unwind (either before or after visiting the churches) and a mule for when the climbing gets too tough and the air too thin are recommended. With neat bungalows spread apart on the mountain top, a loo with a view, warm water bucket shower, village community and eco-friendly style; Lalibela Hudad cannot be more highly praised!

Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The walk up to Lalibela Hudad is not an easy one but the scenery along the way and the guys who walk up with you make it enjoyable... for those who are really not up for a hike, u can take a mule which is an experience in itself! Once you reach the mountain top, you will see that it is well worth it! The views are absolutely breath-taking; the staff are just lovely and will cook u beautiful meals. They were very welcoming and gave us lots of blankets and warm jumpers to wrap up in at night whilst we sat at a campfire listening to the staff (from the community) singing and playing traditional music.. it felt very authentic! We even had foot massages by the campfire which made the walk up the mountain all the more worth it. Being an eco-lodge, the toilets were pretty unique with lovely views, and you feel like you are in the middle of nature.. there were even baboons roaming around nonchalantly. The sky at night was magical. There really isn't anything like Lalibela Hudad! Highly recommend!