Free cancellation until 07/21
$61
$57
Villa Lalibela Guesthouse(Lalibela)(Great Value!)
$27
$17
Red Rock Lalibela Hotel(Lalibela)(Great Value!)
$37
Tukul Village(Lalibela)
Free cancellation until 07/29
$70
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfoot massagegelada baboonsno electricityhot water bottleshour hikehigh plateaulocal villagebucket showereco lodgemountain topeco toiletlong dropspecial experiencelocal hospitalitychallenging hikewonderful guidetrekking guide
Reviewed December 11, 2011

This is a brand new Lodge still being built in Lalilbela. The only way up is to hike, 3 - 5 hrs up. Its a steep climb but well worth it. I would advice climbing up, having lunch dinner and an over night and coming down the next day. You can arrange your lunch in advance from Seven Olives Hotel - go there for more info on the Lodge. The rooms are incredible (all private huts) the views amazing, food excellent. When I was there it was all still being built but I think in another 6 months this is going to be the best place to go in Lalibela.

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing villas / round huts.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 23, 2011

If you like to travel under your own steam and relish Nature’s great wildernesses, I recommend the plateau atop a mountain rising behind the little town of Lalibela in northern Ethiopia. Lying some 3,500 metres above sea level this plateau gives you far reaching views and that rarity – total silence.

I visited the Lalibela Hudad in September 2011 with a party of friends which included three children under eight. Together with our guides and the people who carried all the provisions needed for our stay, we were a large party. The track up winds steeply to the summit and the air gets thinner and thinner as one climbs. We hired sturdy little mules for those of us who felt the whole climb on foot might be too demanding. Riding also means the traveller can gaze on the stunning landscape which opens wider and wider the higher one climbs.

On the plateau we were delighted watching the troop of Gelada gibbons which lives there, walking over carpets of wild flowers and following the flight of amazing birds of prey. Our food was prepared for us by local people cooking on open fires and at night we sat around a bonfire with our hosts, eating, singing – and having a foot massage!

At night you need a fleecy tracksuit to sleep in but there are plenty of blankets and the beds are wide and comfortable. All the furniture is locally crafted and the tukuls are solidly built. The accommodation is the kind of basic which puts you back in touch with your place in Nature as merely one of her species. To arrive there needs physical effort but the spiritual reward is great.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I spent two nights at Lalibela hudad recently, and it was one of the highlights of my trip to Ethiopia. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking - it was awesome to just sit and enjoy the different views from each side of the plateau as they change throughout the day. Being a nature lover I was also thrilled to be joined by huge troops of Gelada baboons whilst relaxing at the view points. I also got to watch a variety of birds, hyraxes, lizards, and an entertaining stand-off between some Gelada and Hamadryas baboons. The staff were helpful and friendly, and you could tell that they really enjoyed being there too. It is pretty cold at night though so make sure your have warm clothes! I felt extremely happy and relaxed by the time I left, and would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2011

we went up as a large party- the oldest ( in their early 70's) and youngest (7,6 and 3) on mules. I'd been before- before the eco lodges were built- it's just lovely now, the peace and quiet maintained, the gelada baboons comfortably feeding while we looked on, soaring raptors, plump rock hyrax. The 7 Olives staff and local people were there to help, the children were always safe, the accommodation quiet and simple, good food and plenty of cups of tea! Amazing sunrises and sunsets. This is a very special place.
If you get the opportunity- go, it’s good for you, simple, you need to work to get up there then you feel it’s your own while you’re there and can return in memory when you need that clear place to rewind from our modern world.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2011

When visiting Lalibela, people always talk about the churches and they are truly spectacular. But what few people seem to talk about is the truly stunning scenery that surrounds Lalibela...I found it to be just as breathtaking as the churches....and one of the best ways to enjoy the landscape is to stay here.

The lodge is perched on a plateau on the top of the mountain that looks down over lalibela and has incredible views on all sides. It is reached (at the moment) by a very beautiful hike of about 2 1/2 hours...which can be done on a mule....and in the future there will probably be the option to cover a large portion of the way in a 4wd. But the walk is fantastic and I strongly recommend it.

The lodge hadn't officially opened yet when I stayed, and like the review below, I had the place to myself. I spent my time there just chilling out, enjoying the incredible views, and meeting the very friendly locals (who as the traditional landowners will be actively involved in the project).

The lodge is part owned by the same guy who owns the Seven Olives Hotel....he has a strong emphasis on supporting the local community through employment, training, joint development, and seeking to foster real cultural exchange.

Staying here was one of the highlights of my time in Ethiopia. So make sure you schedule enough time in Lalibela to have a full day at the churches and another full day or two to enjoy Hudad.

Be warned it gets very cold at night...so make sure you take warm clothing.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo