“Not bad but not brilliant”

Lal Hotel & Spa Lalibela
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Lalibela
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I happened to spend New Year´s Eve at this hotel. I found the room to be pretty basic but good enough to spend one night. I only had a soup and some cooked vegetables for dinner (I know, not a very fancy New Year´s dinner but I wasn´t hungry at all! :), the food was nice but the staff was really slow and forgetful at serving (many of them but too busy chatting to each other at the bar). Breakfast was a buffet and although I only had some porridge and coffee I had to pay for the full buffet fee which worked out very expensive in this case.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
LAL_HOTEL, General Manager at Lal Hotel & Spa Lalibela, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

We are honored that you chose our country and our accomodation to spend the joyous New year's eve. We are very remorseful for the tardy service you encountered but we have upgraded our management system to standard by employing both national and non-nationals to assist us in exploring the likings of our guests. As for the breakfast buffet, we are very appreciative of our staff for bringing our guests such an enriched buffet every morning however, anyone who doesn't want to part-take in the buffet can have an independent menu whereby one can have a meal of their choice.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

The big attraction in Lalibela is the churches hewn from the rock. All 11 are within easy walking distance of this hotel. Moreover, the hotel is clean and well appointed, and from conversations with the staff is Ethiopian-owned and seems to employ people from the surrounding villages, where job prospects are few and far between. Rooms are clean and have everything you need (no TV), bar and restaurant just fine. My guide Fisseha, who works for the hotel, was very knowledgeable and helpful too.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We only ate at the Lal Hotel, but vote it the best dinner choice in town. It hosts usually two or three large tour groups that stay at the hotel, who dine there. The two nights we ate there, the groups were French and German, and Spanish. We are not big on buffet dinners, but after a week in Ethiopia on the historic circuit, we had also seen much of the same, pretty ordinary food. Lal Hotel served, each night, at least one dish that was absolutely outstanding. The other dishes on offer were good, but one (different each night) made the dinner a special occasion for us.

For lodging, we stayed in Tukul Village, across the road. I think Tukul may still be better, but Lal Hotel seemed quite good if not so atmospheric (i.e., Tukul's location looking toward Lalibela's sites).

Room Tip: Drawings of coming improvements warrant keeping an eye on this property.
Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Friendly and efficient check in process after reliable shuttle pick up at the airport.
Had a newer Tukul room overlooking a busy street with lots of local life; clean, calm and spacious with fitments working reasonably well. Walls paper thin with no sound deadening qualities at all.
Fell ill on day two after eating in the restaurant. Could have been water used to keep butter cool but we'll never know. May be linked to the state of the public toilets next to the bar, which were unpleasant and plainly lacked TLC or a serious attempt at cleaning.
Staff pleasant, and shuttle back to the airport reliable again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with this place, first of all the staff was nice, helpful and hospitable. They have a restaurant on site, which breakfast is served starting at 6 A.M. My tour guide, Fisseha met me at the hotel and was on time for our scheduled appointments thereafter. He was professional and very knowledgeable of Lalibela's history. Our communication was great because he spoke excellent english. If you are visiting Lalibela I suggest you use him. Contact number: 25112027017, using local number 0912027017.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank eshiv
Reviewed September 15, 2013

As other reviewers have noted, the place is reasonably clean and calm, and the staff were friendly enough. Anyway, perhaps this is all one can ask for when staying in such a location - although I've certainly been to similar locations and experienced better (as well as worse). One thing I will note that was a pleasant surprise was the wifi in the restaurant.

Things to consider:
1. The prices were constantly changing - this was perhaps the biggest annoyance. Advertised rates had included breakfast and we had been told airport transfer was also included. Additionally, we had negotiated for a guide for the equivalent of $20 through the hotel. When we arrived, the guide was expecting more than twice that fee and neither the breakfast nor airport transfer were included. We were able to renegotiate the guide to $30 but the hotel did nothing on the other issues. Having to renegotiate for prices established on a short break from work was not how I wanted to spend my little amount of free time, particularly when had taken such care to make arrangements in advance. Nor was spending more than expected a positive.
2. It does get quite chilly in the evenings – and there was no hot water in either the sink or shower. I was with two other colleagues – we all tried in the late afternoon, night, and morning.
3. I did not eat at the restaurant simply because when I tried to order, they didn’t have items listed on their menu which I requested.
4. A less important point to note for light sleepers – the beds squeak with every muscle you use – and the walls are paper thin.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family and I stayed for 2 nights at the Lal Hotel. The room was spacious and clean. The restaurant was excellent every meal we ordered we loved. The staff was always very courteous and friendly. I must also mention the restaurant staff was always so enthusiastic about how our meal was the maid in morning always saying "good morning" just all the staff going the extra mile to make you feel welcome! The grounds of the whole compound we found to be quite nice with great picturesque views all the way around. The new renovations seem very bright and propitious. The rock hewn churches were close by just a quick walk up the road from the hotel. Our family would definitely stay here again loved every minute of our time at the Lal Hotel in Lalibela!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tiffany E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lalibela
1 mi away
Top Twelve Hotel - Lalibela
Lalibela Hotel
Lalibela Hotel
#5 of 15 in Lalibela

Been to Lal Hotel & Spa Lalibela? Share your experiences!