“Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Lalibela
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed in Lal for two nights. The room was clean and comfortable. Yes they have hot showers, solar powered no less. It was serene and had a spectacular view from the Tukul I stayed in. The staff was very friendly and hospitable. The food was good. They had free shuttle from the airport. I was met by an excellent tour guide Muugeta Wondie, who was knowledgeable, patient, helpful, and professional. Ato Moges the manager of Lal was great.He gave me a tour of the compound and their new additions. Very promising. I am certainly coming back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the Tukuls second floor for view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Martha V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
St. Gallen, Switzerland
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in the Lal Hotel in Lalibela. The room was really nice and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The whole place was quiet and the staff was so helpful and friendly. We did the church-tour with Haile, the guide from the Lal Hotel. We enjoyed it a lot! The restaurant prepares also good food for good value. We would stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marco J
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Lal Hotel for 2 nights in June. The rooms were clean and comfortable with hot water. We enjoyed all of our meals in the hotel restaurant and recommmend the zal tibs! We met our guide, Mulugeta Wondie, at the hotel and spent two days with him exploring the churches and hiking up the mountain. He was fun, professional, and very knowledgeable; we really enjoyed his company. All of the staff at Lal Hotel were friendly and helpful. We were unable to pay by Visa/Mastercard, however there is an ATM and bank in town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Katie D
Barcelona
Reviewed June 3, 2013

It is a good hotel to be in Lalibela. Nice, clean and comfortable. Besides, you can hire there a very good guide for your visits to the churchs. The restaurant is very good, and you can have lunch also and very good juices at the terrace.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Tio L
Dillon, Colorado
Reviewed May 23, 2013

When traveling in Ethiopia, hotels can be problematical. The Lal Hotel, Lalibela, was a pleasant experience... large, nicely furnished rooms and good food and service. We (3 women) were there May 8 and 9, 2013. On May 9, the management celebrated the Birthday of St. Mary with a feast for the staff. We were very fortunate to be invited to share the great food and drink! The staff, especially Hailu and Adane welcomed us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SkiBikeHike
Melrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My friend and I have just returned home after having stayed at Lal Hotel for 5 nights. The main purpose of our stay was to visit the boy I have sponsored for 13 years through Plan International. The hotel was very good and the room very comfortable. The staff were excellent, especially our waiter Hailu and our maid Yeshi. The grounds are lovely and it was very pleasant sitting outside to enjoy a meal and/or a drink.

We plan to return to Ethiopia in 3 years time and will definitely stay at Lal Hotel, We look forward to enjoying the swimming pool, sauna etc that is currently being built. The hotel is in an excellent location, for the few shops, the Saturday market and the famous 12th century churches.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank 156Sheenahird
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I have been to Lalibela, Ethiopia three times, and I always stay at the Lal Hotel. This place feels like home to me, especially because the staff are so friendly and kind. Adane works in reception, and he is very helpful. He is always concerned about the customers, making sure they are comfortable and happy. I regularly eat at the hotel's restaurant, and it's so nice to sit outside in the courtyard. During my stay in Lalibela, I have visited all the rock-hewn churches. Haile Mariam, one of the guides at the Lal Hotel has taken me to all of the amazing and historical sites. He is very knowledgeable and really fun to be around. Haile and Adane took me trekking in the beautiful Lasta mountains. It was such a memorable experience. Lal Hotel is building a new pool and gym area, and I look forward to visiting again in August.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo