Lal Hotel & Spa Lalibela
Maribela Hotel(Lalibela)
  • Restaurant
Maribella Hotel(Lalibela)
View Hotel
All reviewsswimming poolrooms are clean and comfortablehot waterbeautiful hoteltwo nightsan oasisethiopian standardshaileairportguidereceptionisttukulsmattressescultureland
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My friend and I have just returned home after having stayed at Lal Hotel for 5 nights. The main purpose of our stay was to visit the boy I have sponsored for 13 years through Plan International. The hotel was very good and the room very comfortable. The staff were excellent, especially our waiter Hailu and our maid Yeshi. The grounds are lovely and it was very pleasant sitting outside to enjoy a meal and/or a drink.

We plan to return to Ethiopia in 3 years time and will definitely stay at Lal Hotel, We look forward to enjoying the swimming pool, sauna etc that is currently being built. The hotel is in an excellent location, for the few shops, the Saturday market and the famous 12th century churches.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 156Sheenahird
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I have been to Lalibela, Ethiopia three times, and I always stay at the Lal Hotel. This place feels like home to me, especially because the staff are so friendly and kind. Adane works in reception, and he is very helpful. He is always concerned about the customers, making sure they are comfortable and happy. I regularly eat at the hotel's restaurant, and it's so nice to sit outside in the courtyard. During my stay in Lalibela, I have visited all the rock-hewn churches. Haile Mariam, one of the guides at the Lal Hotel has taken me to all of the amazing and historical sites. He is very knowledgeable and really fun to be around. Haile and Adane took me trekking in the beautiful Lasta mountains. It was such a memorable experience. Lal Hotel is building a new pool and gym area, and I look forward to visiting again in August.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank ChrisAustria_8
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We had an unexpectedly good meal here chosen fairly at random as we were staying across the road. When you get past the new building that is still in progress there's courtyard where you can eat outside - they lit a bonfire the night we were there which was really lovely. Had a nice bottle of SA wine, decent steaks and some really lovely service. It was a nice night. It's not haute cuisine, but, we ate a decent meal.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ptarmigan11
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We came to Lalibella for 2 nights to visit the city and to participate the Timkat celebrations. We came in a group of 14 rooms.
The hotel is with good spacious rooms and good beds, good service. The dining room is nice and comfortable, food is ok, the same is the service. Toilet and shower are OK, sink is in the room. location of the hotel close to sites of city.
The public toilets are in bad situation with bad smells.
Despite the promise to receive the new rooms, we got 5 bad rooms it was bad for the part of the group.

Room Tip: The hotel has 4 levels of rooms: Rooms 27-32 are small and musty and not for tourists use. The public toilets are located near those rooms. The public toilets are also in bad situation with bad smells. Rooms 24-26 are located near to the kitchen with noise during the night. Rooms 1-23 are good rooms. Rooms 66-89 are new rooms and upgraded.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Hotel was decent; we had a room with two twin beds. Beds were comfortable.

We had lunch in the hotel restaurant. Food was OK, nothing special. They have a nice outside patio area in the trees.

Lots of big trees in the yard with many different birds.

Hotel is within easy walking distance to the Churches (just up the hill) and we had shuttle service from the airport to and from our hotel gate.

FYI The Lalibela airport is quite a distance away from the town a good 30 minute drive.

Negatives:

We had no hot water. Our friend staying in a different unit somehow had hot water but we didn't. The hotel staff said to run the taps for a while as it takes a long time. I ran both taps for at least ten minutes (cringing the whole time at the amount of water I was wasting) but still no hot water.

My toilet plugged. As they didn't have a plunger at the hotel (which is all it would have taken to fix the situation) they offered to move us to a different room.

We were already all settled in so we decided not to change rooms as we were only staying one night.

For your information bathrooms at ALL hotels we stayed at in Ethiopia are sketchy so this little scene wasn't unusual or anything.

Overall a decent hotel, nothing special but conveniently located for seeing the sights in Lalibela.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends